What is BP Doing To Suppress Press Coverage?

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
There are complaints from press and survivors that BP and the government are threatening people working for BP with arrest if they talk to the press.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNZ89vL4e_E]YouTube - Blood of the Earth - The BP Gulf Oil Spill part 8[/ame]

Last edited:
I think a lot of press members are just being stupid and don't realize the danger they pose by being on the beach, I seriously doubt anyone is following BP employees around to make sure they don't talk to the press.

Really? What danger would a press person pose by standing on the beach?

Well for one they could be getting in the way. For another , people are assisting in the cleanup on the beaches are becoming ill, IMO we need to limit exposure to as few as possible. Plus just the general fact that we need these folks concentrating on cleaning up the mess, not gabbing with the press.

When you have a fire, a certain area is cordoned off and no one is allowed in that area without authorization, this is no different.

Well for one they could be getting in the way. For another , people are assisting in the cleanup on the beaches are becoming ill, IMO we need to limit exposure to as few as possible. Plus just the general fact that we need these folks concentrating on cleaning up the mess, not gabbing with the press.

When you have a fire, a certain area is cordoned off and no one is allowed in that area without authorization, this is no different.

BP denies that there are any health hazards at the beach which is why they have ordered the cleanup workers to not wear any safety equipment or clothing, etc. So that's not it

And the reporters aren't talking to the cleanup workers, so that's not it either.

It looks like you've got nothing but shilling for big oil

• Banned

ConHog, BP does not have an legal right to exclude anyone from a public beach. And there is no danger of "getting in the way" or getting hurt -- there's no fire fighting going on, just -- whatever people are doing on the beach. I haven't even got a clear idea of what that could be. How do we clean oil from sand, anyway?

I was watching CNN last week and saw a segment in which a CNN reporter tried to speak to folks working the clean up and was forced off the beach and away from clean up crew members by a BP employee. Security guards told him repeatedly he could not speak with the people and had to leave. What legal authority would a security guard for BP have on a public beach? Why would BP be paying for security anyway?

ConHog, BP does not have an legal right to exclude anyone from a public beach. And there is no danger of "getting in the way" or getting hurt -- there's no fire fighting going on, just -- whatever people are doing on the beach. I haven't even got a clear idea of what that could be. How do we clean oil from sand, anyway?

I was watching CNN last week and saw a segment in which a CNN reporter tried to speak to folks working the clean up and was forced off the beach and away from clean up crew members by a BP employee. Security guards told him repeatedly he could not speak with the people and had to leave. What legal authority would a security guard for BP have on a public beach? Why would BP be paying for security anyway?

THey DO have a legal right if they were given that right by the USG. Were they or not? I honestly don't know and suspect you don't either. However, do we really need LEO on the beach keeping people off the beaches if private security paid for by the company that is cleaning up the mess will suffice? Would you feel better if the national guard was stationed on the beach to keep people off?

Do you understand the beaches are toxic? Twenty minutes on twenty minutes off is what I had heard is the work schedule passed down by OSHA, that's pretty toxic, isn't BP morally obligated to keep as many people from that danger as possible?

Let me ask you this. You keep saying public beach public beach public beach. Well, in AZ right now there is a 3500 acre federal park that is CLOSED to the public because of the danger posed to anyone who goes there. What's the difference? Are you saying that the USG should NEVER close a government park? Do you remember right after 9/11 when essentially ALL federal parks were off limits for a time? Of course they have the right to do so. Do you really think that BP has made the decision on their own to close down those beaches? No, I suspect the EPA had something to say about it.

Now I agree, if BP or the government is actively keeping BP employees from talking to the press, there is a problem, but keeping them off the beaches???

By the way, try to sail a boat into the spill zone right now.....................

The various claims are that BP's security forces have threatened press workers with arrest. Clearly there is some government support, unless the claim is wholly without merit. But what level of government? It's very hard to believe any state or local police agency would arrest press for trying to interview BP employees.

I still don't see why anyone would need to be excluded from the beaches, ConHog. I am concerned that there's a story we're not hearing and that concern is heightened by BP's obvious lies so far as to the rate of spillage, etc.

Why did BP detain rig survivors for 20 hours offshore until they signed releases?

Do you understand the beaches are toxic? Twenty minutes on twenty minutes off is what I had heard is the work schedule passed down by OSHA, that's pretty toxic, isn't BP morally obligated to keep as many people from that danger as possible?

Madeline, conjob is a proven liar, so be careful about letting any of his lies go unanswered

The beaches are not toxic. conjob is just making stuff up.

If the beaches were toxic, they wouldn't let workers work for 20 minutes. Not for one minute. If a site is toxic, the law requires that the workers be trained in the removal of hazardous materials (HAZMAT) and wear protective clothing and equipment.

No, I suspect the EPA had something to say about it.

This is another example of how conjob lies. The EPA has said nothing about the beaches being toxic

Forum List

Back