What is better.....public schools or private schools?

signelect

Rookie
Dec 10, 2010
Houston, TX
I've never been to a private school only public. So i can only talk about my experience in public school. I had a great experience in public schools. All my friends from the neiborhood went there so it was very easy to have somebody come over and do homework together. My teachers were awesome. Except this one.....
I was able to join many different activities like play the violin, piano, choir, and of course girl scouts. Throughout my school years my teachers were very supportive and helped me whenever i needed some academic help. I had no problems in public school whatsoever as far as how i got treated. I guess just because i had less money than the person next to me the teacher didn't mind giving me the same education.

Private schools are generally better since they are not forced to take the dregs and generally just get the cream of the crop.

consider if we only had private schools?

Or consider if private schools continue to take money and the cream of the crop from public schools.
A further class division will happen. Which is exactly what many want.

Last edited:
Private schools are generally better since they are not forced to take the dregs and generally just get the cream of the crop.

That is definitely the view of social Darwinist's promoting economic classism.

I think computers wreck that entire paradigm. We can make computers and software so cheaply that very good education could be available to every kid that wants to learn. Lots of poor kids are sabotaged by their environment and I think that is what some people want.

It is just so curious that our educators and economists have never suggested something as simple as mandatory accounting in the schools.

And then the Vero Beach high school experience with computers in 1987 is not shouted from the roof tops.

psik

That is definitely the view of social Darwinist's promoting economic classism.

I think computers wreck that entire paradigm. We can make computers and software so cheaply that very good education could be available to every kid that wants to learn. Lots of poor kids are sabotaged by their environment and I think that is what some people want.

It is just so curious that our educators and economists have never suggested something as simple as mandatory accounting in the schools.

And then the Vero Beach high school experience with computers in 1987 is not shouted from the roof tops.

psik

The computer as education panacea in schools has failed. And failed on a large scale, that is why nobody mentions some school from 1987. All the other (recent and relevant) research shows that cheap computers and software do not help kids learn or become better students.

What is better.....public schools or private schools?

Depends on what one looks for.

An actual education that builds skills leading toward gainful employment? Private.

A thorough indoctrination if Liberal hive-mind concepts, though lacking in teaching the requisite skills for preparation of welfare applications? Public.

Or consider if private schools continue to take money and the cream of the crop from public schools.
no. sorry. Not completely true. There are many private schools that specialize in the dregs who get thrown out of public school. How do I know? My former company transported for 2 of them.

The fact that this was asked as a serious question is frankly silly. Homeschooling is best 80% of the time if the parents have the time and ability to do it. Private school is almost universally better than public. They don't have bloated overhead or unions protecting incompetent teachers.

As a student I attended both, and I taught in the public schools. For the most part, private schools are more efficient.

Like Bush and Kerry and McCain?

And Obama.

And Obama.
Oh snap!

I had a public school education and it sucked for the most part. I was ignored and died of boredom because i was way ahead of everyone else in terms of reading ability etc. So instead of doing what the rest were doing I read pretty much every book in the library and then expanded to the public library and finally when I was in junior high school I discovered the University library. That set me free.

My daughter will never set foot in a public school save for a competative event (if she wants to go that route). Private schools teach better for less money and are instantly accountable if one of the teachers is not doing their job. Here in northern Nevada the public schools are very poor. If the student is smart they can do what I did and teach themselves until high school and then, if they are truly gifted, they will do fine and get lots of support from the school. If on the other hand you are average you're screwed.

Evidence indicates that home-schooled kids do better. Unfortunately most families don't have the time to properly school their kids so they rely on private schools if they can afford it. One of the biggest (unreported) factors in considering the purchase of a home is the school system. Where does Barry send his kids, to the union controlled D.C. public school system? Yeah right.

Public school taught me that Joe McCarthy was a bad man because he used his HUAC to create a "red Scare" and blacklisted innocent Hollywood actors; it also taught me that FDR saved America when Capitalism failed and even thought Tuskegee started when he came to power...well, er, LBJ was a civil right hero

Perhaps.

Or perhaps government shouldn't be involved in education because they suck at it.

I look at it this way, when I went to catholic schools in Chicago, I went with the children of local politicians- all Democrats. Democrats talk a good game about supporting public education, but they wouldn't expose their own children to it.

Yes, Private Schools can pick and choose the kids they want. But that's kind of the point. If your kid is so disruptive, such a trouble maker, so impervious to learning, that no private school would want to waste its time with him, well, how much money should we waste on him at all?

And why should the system cater to him rather than the kids who have potential?

What I would favor is the government giving everyone a voucher, and then letting the parents pick a school that works best for them.

Having experienced both,have to say private,at least the one I went to was way better than the public system I also attended,much better teachers,and not a watered down curriculum.

I met people from all over the world,both as students and teachers.

The computer as education panacea in schools has failed. And failed on a large scale, that is why nobody mentions some school from 1987. All the other (recent and relevant) research shows that cheap computers and software do not help kids learn or become better students.

Nobody said it was a panacea and I don't doubt that most educators want it to fail.

So since they end up controlling how it gets implemented what do you think is going to happen?

The really curious thing about that 1987 case is that I can't find what computers or software they used. But since it was 1987 Intel had not even introduced the 486. A $200 Android tablet is more powerful than a 486.

So I think parents are going to have to network and implement computer education without the schools. Whether they are private or public is totally irrelevant. Even back in the days before cheap computers teachers would act like a kid could not learn anything without them. But if you searched hard enough you could find books better than the ones the teachers were using and learn the stuff without them.

But then they didn't tell me about good books that were written years before I was born.

The Tyranny of Words (1938) by Stuart Chase
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9H1StY1nU8]"The Tyranny of Words" - YouTube[/ame]

So if kids are told about good books available now:

Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics, by Stan Gibilisco
Online Book Store - Buy Books Online at McGraw-Hill Professional Books!

The Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill
Download The Art of Electronics – Horowitz & Hill | books download

And with FREE stuff for computers there is no telling what can be done.

Solve Elec: draw and analyze electrical circuits
Solve Elec - Educational software

Logisim: Digital logic circuit simulator
Logisim | Download Logisim software for free at SourceForge.net

Celestia: space simulation of the universe in 3D
Celestia: Home

GeoGebra: Interactive graphics, algebra and spreadsheet
GeoGebra

psik

Public school teachers today are not teachers, they are baby sitters for kids that parent will not take the time train and educate. They can't touch, discipline or control the kids for fear of law suits and the kids know it.

Forum List

Back