What is better for environment paper media or electronic media?

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
I always bitched the internet is making people ignorant to news and politics because with electronic media people cherry pick and read what they want to read.

With newspapers it was better exspeacily if you were bored you would read stuff you had no desire in knowing or learning.

This is an interesting article on ammo if someone says electronic media is better for the environment.

Is Digital Media Worse for the Environment Than Print?

Go Tell It On The Mountain
It’s somewhat ironic that print media and the paper-making industry are so often targeted for “killing” trees while digital media is so often characterized as the greener “environmentally friendly” alternative. While its record is by no means perfect, the North American forest products industry has made great strides in the adoption of sustainable forestry and environmental performance certification practices. In addition, the majority of the U.S. paper industry’s power and electricity needs are derived from renewable biomass that is sourced from sustainably managed forests. On the other hand, digital information technology’s dependence on coal-powered electricity that is derived from mountaintop removal goes largely unreported.

*Snip*

Digital Deforestation
There is growing recognition that digital media technology uses significant amounts of energy from coal fired power plants which are making a significant contribution to global warming.Greenpeace estimates that by 2020 data centers will demand more electricity than is currently demanded by France, Brazil, Canada, and Germany combined. What is less widely known is that mountaintop-removal coal mining is also a major cause of deforestation, biodiversity loss, and the pollution of over 1,200 miles of headwater streams in the United States.

If your goal is to save trees or do something good for the environment, the choice to go paperless may not be as green or simple as some would like you to think.

Ah crap thought I put this thread in the environment forum

I always bitched the internet is making people ignorant to news and politics because with electronic media people cherry pick and read what they want to read.

I bitch because it treats opinion as fact and over time people seem to have lost sight of which is which. I prefer digital because I read newspapers from other countries. I have to read between those in the US and those in other countries to get to the middle. That said, there are not a whole lot of independent news sources so what you read is backed by someone's money and politics. Six of one and half a dozen of the other.

I really don't give a damn about the environment at that point. There are two things that will drive me crazy........no coffee and no news.

I bitch because it treats opinion as fact and over time people seem to have lost sight of which is which. I prefer digital because I read newspapers from other countries. I have to read between those in the US and those in other countries to get to the middle. That said, there are not a whole lot of independent news sources so what you read is backed by someone's money and politics. Six of one and half a dozen of the other.

I really don't give a damn about the environment at that point. There are two things that will drive me crazy........no coffee and no news.

There are two things that will drive mecrazy........no coffee and no news.

Me too.

I was really trying to find out how many less trees were cut down since 2000 when newspaper sales started going down hill, I wonder if the emergence of the new bio mass mills (due to New C02 regulations in Europe) offset that?

The proble is that any idiot hack can start a "news" site and fill it wh lies.

Many of those are linked to threads in this place !

Forum List

Back