What is Authentic Canadian Food?

Wake

Easygoing Conservative
Jun 11, 2013
Is there more to Canada's culinary heritage than pancakes with real maple syrup?

In Vacouver, we had poutine, which is french fries topped with gravy and cheese.

Anything you want can be put on top of poutine, i.e macaroni and cheese, pulled pork, etc.

Is there more to Canada's culinary heritage than pancakes with real maple syrup?
We all know how to finish the sentence as American as blank. The answer is apple pie. We have hot dogs. Fried chicken. What else do we have in America? The hamburger? Certainly McDonald's is an American thing. But what is there that is Canadian besides bacon? I love Tim Hortons coffee

I don't think I've ever had authentic Canadian food, including poutine and bannock.

Someone please tempt me to go out and get some Canadian food. :eusa_drool:

Again, "Canada" is a politial entity (nation), not a culture per se, so you're talking several separate cultures here including a substantial number of Inuit.

Poutine has been mentioned from Québec. I'm not familiar with Bannock. Here's a puddin' from Newfoundland called Figgy Duff:

Ingredients Nutrition
Servings 12 Units US
Directions
  1. In a large bowl, stir together the bread crumbs, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves, eh.
  2. Cut the butter into the crumb mixture using a pastry blender or two knioves until the mixture is coarse and crumbly. The butter bits should be no larger than peas.
  3. Mix in the milk, eggs, and sugar until well blended, then add in the figs and pecans mixing gently again.
  4. Cover and let this stand for 30 minutes. ya hoser.
  5. Preheat the oven to aboot 250 degrees F or 120°C Grease a large steamed pudding mold. You can also use a bundt pan but you will need to cover tightly with extra heavy foil.
  6. Give the pudding another stir before transfering to the pudding mold. Then transfer and set the clamps or cover tightly.
  7. Place the mold into another large dish, pyrex bowl, or pot. Fill the outer dish with at least 1 inch deep with hot water, no more than 1/2 way up the mold.
  8. Steam in the preheated oven for four hours or until the pudding is firm. Cool slightly before removing from the mold. This is best served with a lemon hard sauce. Eh?
I've never had it -- it looks delcious except for the damned raisins :death:

If you told a Canadian they do not have their own culture, then I think he might be offended.

Nanaimo bars are fucking fantastic!

GB_Jan-2013_Code-10808-Reform.-Trad-Nanaimo-Bars1-366x338.jpg

Poutine - proper poutine is not made with cheese, but rather with cheese curds
Maple Candy
Tortiere (a meat pie made with spiced ground pork and potatoes - incredibly delicious)
Beaver tails
butter tarts
Nanaimo Bars
Moose meat
Bannock
Smelt
Planked Salmon Steaks
Kraft Dinner

If you told a Canadian they do not have their own culture, then I think he might be offended.

A single culture? :eusa_hand:

Something I always do when I go to Montréal is peruse the local record shops to pick up some authentic Quebecois music. Which doesn't exist here any more than it does in, say, Manitoba.

Then there's the whole Cape Breton tradition. Again, area-specific, not national.

Forum List

Back