What is an independent? Do they realize

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JRK, May 9, 2012.

1. JRK

JRK Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +312
    That they should have some set of Morales and beliefs?

I really cannot understand what any-one sees in BHO, but I can respect that they at least have a belief

How can you go through life with not having any-thing to believe in?
    I mean Libs believe in abortion
    gay marriage
    Taking wealth from one and giving it to another
    and when did the father in an event that an un-born child was involved lose his choice?

Any-way how can one year see this as the right direction and the GOP being the right direction the next time?

2. BlackAsCoal

BlackAsCoal Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,884
    YIKES !!!

Obviously the definition of "independent" escapes you.

It does not mean that one has no morals or values .. it means that neither party believes in or supports one values .. thus they free themselves from the idiocy of partisanship and can vote for issues instead of a letter behind ones name.

Frankly, they are often more firm in their resolve about ISSUES than the partisans who will swallow whatever they're told to swallow.

But I understand the need to go trolling for disaffected republicans. :0)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    You were quicker than I was in getting to this thread.

I consider myself independent, but it is not because I don't have any moral values. I have values that I believe neither party comes close to representing and I have values that I believe are anti-thetical to both parties. For instance, I believe the leaders of both parties are corrupt individuals who have sold themselves for the power they expect to receive in office.

I cannot in good conscience support either party. I am opposed to abortion and Affirmative Action. Because of their stance on issues such as these, I cannot in good conscience align myself with the Democrats. I also support certain social safety nets such as welfare (although I believe it should be modified along with Social Security), because of their stance on social safety nets, I cannot in good conscience support Republicans either.

When I look at the issues I find so many that I disagree with both parties on that I will not choose a party ever again.

Independent does not mean that one does not believe in anything. It means one does not agree with either party enough to follow along as their sheep.

Immie

4. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,932
    I think this is the funniest take on "Independents" that I've ever seen.

Are you saying that the only "morals or beliefs" that one can have are those of the Democratic Party or the Republican Party?

5. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,683
    The problem with being an independent in some states is being unable to vote in the primaries.. Aren't you in Florida?

6. JRK

JRK Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +312
    I believe that one should have set of values that guides them. That is not being partisan, that is who and what we are as people
    Wealth being taxed is a value
    Abortion is a value, or ones stance in the issue is a value
    Having a president who respects local jurisdiction in a matter that has not had its day in court yet is a value
    I have no desire to troll for any-one. A conservative remains one for reasons that have nothing to do with politics. The issue i have with liberals is you can no longer find one who will debate the issues, they lose 100% of the time in that arena and they know it, or should I say they refuse to admit there beliefs to be debated

Then you have what is called an "independent"
    And you are telling me that this person has resolve to, well resolve what?
    I mean what drives a person who has no core values?
    Political values comes from who and what that person

A liberal values abortion, or a choice that the man gets left out in that choice
    He/she values taking wealth from one and giving it another in numbers that will only do harm to both in time
    A conservative values the free market, he/she values the constitution
    How do you value only parts of it? is this what the independent does?

That is the same as a lib

It is not about mandating identification tags, its about who and what that person is

As a lib you respond as though this is about trolling, a fully expected response. As a lib you have values that make you that person
    That is just the way it is

7. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    I am. At first it bothered me that I could not vote in the primary, but then I realized that it really didn't matter. For instance, this year I could register as a Democrat and vote for Bush III or I could register as a Republican and vote for Bush IV, regardless of which of the Republicans I voted for. It makes so little difference in the overall scheme of thing.

Romney was going to win before the first vote was cast. Nothing I did or anyone else did would have changed it.

Immie

8. JRK

JRK Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +312
    So just because I believe in those values that one would call a conservative, why do you think I am a sheep?
    So what your saying is you do not vote, but you spend time on a political discussion board?
    I have voted for Dems in the past, before the far left took it over and Obama mandated vote with him or else

Being a conservative not long ago did not make you GOP all the time. GWB was not a physical conservative

9. JRK

JRK Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +312
    That is home with no work
    On the road headed to Texas to work until T-Giving
    Thank god for that evil oil, BHO has most of his jobs out of a hand-full of states
    Texas is one of them

10. Wacky Quacky

Wacky Quacky Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +376
    So, what if someones values and morals don't align with either party? Or, what if some of their morals and values align to the left, and other of their morals and values align to the right?

I don't understand how you can think that everybody can be squeezed into belonging to the left or the right. People's personalities and thought patterns are infinitely diverse. If anything, you're completely backwards on this subject. People have to give up some of their values or morals just to fit into a party. Or do you think that every single republican, and every single democrat, have the exact same values and morals?