What is America's favorite novel?

barryqwalsh

Gold Member
Sep 30, 2014
'The Great American Read' Wants Your Vote for Best Novel

What is America's favorite novel? The upcoming eight-part PBS series “The Great American Read” seeks to find out. Its producers surveyed over 7,000 people to come up with a list of 100 finalists -- ranging from works of classical literature to sci-fi to young adult romance. The show will explore what the nominated works say about the American experience and will hold a nationwide vote to choose “America’s best-loved book.” We'll discuss the books that made the top 100, and we want to hear from you: what novel changed your life?

Related:
See the Full List (PBS.org)
KQED's "The Great American Read"

AUDIO

..that would depend on what generation, yes?
..we read How Green Was My Valley, A Tale of Two Cities, etc in high school
..we chose a novel to read junior year and since Centennial was on TV, I picked that--when I told the teacher I picked it, he looked and said something like --''OOO KKKKK''--because the book was so long!.....but, it was very good end enjoyable since I like history
...Michener has a lot of books that are very ''broad'//'immense'....which I like the ''greatness/immensity...like the immensity of WW2 is one of the reasons I read about that
--human need for exploration/wars/conflicts/

Last edited:

What is America's favorite novel? The upcoming eight-part PBS series “The Great American Read” seeks to find out. Its producers surveyed over 7,000 people to come up with a list of 100 finalists -- ranging from works of classical literature to sci-fi to young adult romance. The show will explore what the nominated works say about the American experience and will hold a nationwide vote to choose “America’s best-loved book.” We'll discuss the books that made the top 100, and we want to hear from you: what novel changed your life?

Related:
See the Full List (PBS.org)
KQED's "The Great American Read"

AUDIO

Harry Potter.

Way too many to choose one. Thanks for the heads up, though. It will be great to watch.

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, hands down.

Runner up...Call of the Wild.
..because you are the Missourian?? Missouri and Mississippi Rivers there
..Twain lived in Hannibal, Mo on the river
...the river ''life'' seems to have a nostalgic memory for me ....probably because of the Davy Crockett Disney movie Davy Crockett River Pirates...and my father would take us to the river for outdoor fun...when I grew up, the Danial Boone,Crockett genre was one of my favorites for the ''outdoors'' atmosphere....the stockade forts/etc
....Jack London has a lot of novels that are enjoyable....the Yukon/Alaska/cold weather genre was adventurous/popular back then....I don't think it is as popular now??

Forum List

Back