What is a troll?

That's correct.

Instead, they are "incorrect human beings."

There are just certain words there are no place for, IMO. "Partisan" is one. Not to be confused with the term "partisan hack." We're ALL partisan or we wouldn't be on this message board.

WHO of all the regulars -- I'm not going to count newbies -- has NOT swooped in out of nowhere with a smartass, off-topic comment or insult? I'm sure there might be one, maybe even two, but I sure as Hell can't think of who.

Then there's "liar." A lie REQUIRES intent. I see people on both sides all the time calling each other liars simply for differences in belief, or claiming they are purposefully posting misinformation when they don't know that for a fact. I have yet to meet anyone in real life much less on a message board that KNOWS everything another person believes.

In other words, if you can't prove the intent, the word is being misused.

There are just certain words there are no place for, IMO. "Partisan" is one. Not to be confused with the term "partisan hack." We're ALL partisan or we wouldn't be on this message board.

WHO of all the regulars -- I'm not going to count newbies -- has NOT swooped in out of nowhere with a smartass, off-topic comment or insult? I'm sure there might be one, maybe even two, but I sure as Hell can't think of who.

Then there's "liar." A lie REQUIRES intent. I see people on both sides all the time calling each other liars simply for differences in belief, or claiming they are purposefully posting misinformation when they don't know that for a fact. I have yet to meet anyone in real life much less on a message board that KNOWS everything another person believes.

In other words, if you can't prove the intent, the word is being misused.

No, NO, according to our intellectual betters a lie is anything that is simply untrue. That is in fact what they keep claiming in regards Bush and Company. Or did you miss the long drawn out argument by the likes of Maineman and Mensa boy in the past. Supported by the likes of Rayboy and Jillian.

I am past tired of the left playing the hate and lie game. I will drop down into that sewer with them on this board. And the fact is in the case of a good number of the leftoid posters here they DO know what they say is simply NOT true. They refuse to call on the carpet the fringe on this board while decrying anything any person that disagrees with them has to say.

Rayboy , Kirk, Sealybobo, and a few others are perfect examples of hate mongering liars ( though one might make the case Kirk is just insane) and even Jillian will support some of the most ignorant attacks on a conservative, and I know she does not believe some of the stuff she posts.

No, NO, according to our intellectual betters a lie is anything that is simply untrue. That is in fact what they keep claiming in regards Bush and Company. Or did you miss the long drawn out argument by the likes of Maineman and Mensa boy in the past. Supported by the likes of Rayboy and Jillian.

I am past tired of the left playing the hate and lie game. I will drop down into that sewer with them on this board. And the fact is in the case of a good number of the leftoid posters here they DO know what they say is simply NOT true. They refuse to call on the carpet the fringe on this board while decrying anything any person that disagrees with them has to say.

Rayboy , Kirk, Sealybobo, and a few others are perfect examples of hate mongering liars ( though one might make the case Kirk is just insane) and even Jillian will support some of the most ignorant attacks on a conservative, and I know she does not believe some of the stuff she posts.

And yet another example of a troll...one who enters a thread with a definite a topic (what is a troll) to make personal attacks.

:lol:

I rather thought the word originated from the fishing term to troll...as in to drag your hook through the water hoping to snag the unwary fish.

In a board environment, trolls would be people who post outrageous things, not because they actually believe or care too much about what they write, but because they are seeking to elicite reactions from people who actually do care about discussing matters honestly.

To me trolling is a question more of motive than of content.

Some people write things that I think absurd and outragous, but since I believe they actually believe that nonsense, I do not think of them as trolls.

Other people post the same kind of nonsense, knowing full well that avenue of discussion has already been debated many times, the logic of that line of argument has already been dismissed as sheer blather, but they continue posting that crap because they simply want to annoy honest players.

Last edited:
I rather thought the word originated from the fishing term to troll...as in to drag your hook through the water hoping to snag the unwary fish.

In a board environment, trolls would be people who post outrageous things, not because they actually believe or care too much about what they write, but because they are seeking to elicite reactions from people who actually do care about discussing matters honestly.

To me trolling is a question more of motive than of content.

Some people write things that I think absurd and outragous, but since I believe they actually believe that nonsense, I do not think of them as trolls.

Other people post the same kind of nonsense, knowing full well that avenue of discussion has already been debated many times, the logic of that line of argument has already been dismissed as sheer blather, but they continue posting that crap because they simply want to annoy honest players.

Other people post the same stuff over and over, knowing full well that avenue of discussion has already been debated many times, the logic of that line of argument has already been dismissed as sheer blather by continued insistence that it's sheer blather but no real facts, and those doing the dismissing continue posting their worthless rebuttal and claiming it is legit simply because they cannot or will not admit being wrong.

One definition of a troll that I have not seen covered is a person or persons who follow and individual or individuals around a message board harrassing the former's every word.

If it's too obvious, I will stop it. Otherwise, there IS an ignore function and that would be the one instance I would consider using it.

Other people post the same stuff over and over, knowing full well that avenue of discussion has already been debated many times, the logic of that line of argument has already been dismissed as sheer blather by continued insistence that it's sheer blather but no real facts, and those doing the dismissing continue posting their worthless rebuttal and claiming it is legit simply because they cannot or will not admit being wrong.

Well yeah, and as long as they can continue posting new arguments to support their claims, and not just keep positng the same stuff over and over again, I have to assume they're honestly convinced that what they think has merit, and needs further exploration.

This question of what is trolling isn't as easily defined as we'd like to think it is, I'm afraid.

It is often hard to determine if people are really as dumb as they appear, or are they truly being medacious just to get a rise out of their targets.

One definition of a troll that I have not seen covered is a person or persons who follow and individual or individuals around a message board harrassing the former's every word.

Yeah, that definitely trolling behavior, I think.

If it's too obvious, I will stop it. Otherwise, there IS an ignore function and that would be the one instance I would consider using it.

I haven't yet taken advantage of that feature on this board.

Its a good one to have, though.

Good point, gunny...

It is not just repeating a stance... many of us will do that... for example my continual support of personal responsibility... but repeating the same debunked crap is definitely a sign of a true troll

troll.jpg

when i first came on the net in excite..troll referred to someone trolling for sex or cyber. moving on to another message board ...it was defined as someone who does drive by postings. No really addressing the thread but just with snarkey remarks. or someone who just wants to start a agruement...so i disagree....a troll could be someone who starts racist threads.

Forum List

Back