What is a Seventh-Day Adventist?

Originally posted by Yurt
I know a seventh day adventist and was wondering if anyone knows one or knows what they are about?

Thanks.

As with any group claiming they are under the label of "Christian", it is easier to compare than give an entire lengthy synopsis of their belief system.

Do you have one you already know about to compare or contrast to?

Originally posted by NewGuy
As with any group claiming they are under the label of "Christian", it is easier to compare than give an entire lengthy synopsis of their belief system.

Do you have one you already know about to compare or contrast to?

Well I don't want to compare the person per se, only if you do happen to know one, if they are all around a nice person. I know, don't personalize a church on one person. However, just curious.

As to a synopsis, no I did not want that else I would do some lengthy research. Sometimes I find that research is written by a non-objective source, whereas, a personal opinion by someone, though subjective, will at least be a more personal opinion than something someone wrote on the net. For example, I could read 100 critics on a particular movie, but will still ask my friend, assuming he saw it already, whether I should see it too.

Well I don't want to compare the person per se, only if you do happen to know one, if they are all around a nice person. I know, don't personalize a church on one person. However, just curious.

Nice people are found everywhere. The religion is irrelevant.

I was talking about comparing one belief system to another. -Not one person to another. If you had some frame of reference it makes it easier.

As to a synopsis, no I did not want that else I would do some lengthy research. Sometimes I find that research is written by a non-objective source, whereas, a personal opinion by someone, though subjective, will at least be a more personal opinion than something someone wrote on the net. For example, I could read 100 critics on a particular movie, but will still ask my friend, assuming he saw it already, whether I should see it too.

Then what the heck do you want to know?

I know a seventh day adventist and was wondering if anyone knows one or knows what they are about?

Thanks.

Seeing as how you're on the internet, might I suggest a google search?

Scheeze, I know I can do the research, just wanted to know if anyone on this forum had an opinion or knew someone. Did not realize that was such a hard thing to ask for. Seems easy when you guys give opinions on political stuff. Of course I could do a google search, but then what the heck is the point of this forum.

I was under this impression that the religious forum was founded for the sole reason of discussing things about religion. If you don't have opinion on the topic I posted, then don't reply.

Scheeze, I know I can do the research, just wanted to know if anyone on this forum had an opinion or knew someone. Did not realize that was such a hard thing to ask for. Seems easy when you guys give opinions on political stuff. Of course I could do a google search, but then what the heck is the point of this forum.

I was under this impression that the religious forum was founded for the sole reason of discussing things about religion. If you don't have opinion on the topic I posted, then don't reply.

I know a seventh-day and he's a total lunatic.
There, hope that helps.:rolleyes: :p:

I think the point is that trying to understand a religion by asking people if they know a "nice" person of that faith is silly.

Originally posted by nycflasher

I think the point is that trying to understand a religion by asking people if they know a "nice" person of that faith is silly.

You are a pathetic person, really. A simple question. If you think I am trying to understand a religion by asking if one person is nice, you are stupid or ignorant, because I said, I do not base my opinion of a church on one person. READ! I don't care if the person is nice, just a reference as to what I was asking.

So you know one that is a lunatic. Well at least you answered my question. You know, for someone who has claimed that where you live the people (yourself included), judge people not on religion, race, etc.. then why have you so judged this person? Or are you just being a jerk?

You are a pathetic person, really. A simple question. If you think I am trying to understand a religion by asking if one person is nice, you are stupid or ignorant, because I said, I do not base my opinion of a church on one person. READ! I don't care if the person is nice, just a reference as to what I was asking.

So you know one that is a lunatic. Well at least you answered my question. You know, for someone who has claimed that where you live the people (yourself included), judge people not on religion, race, etc.. then why have you so judged this person? Or are you just being a jerk?

You have done nothing constructive here.

First you ask an ambiguous question about a religion.
Then you claim to want to know about the religion by asking if we know "NICE" people of that faith.
Then you say you don't want a description of their beliefs, but want information.
Then you say you don't want to base an opinion of a church on a person.

You then insult the very people who do not understand what the heck you are asking for.

Try not being a jerk yourself and help US help YOU.

Originally posted by -=d=-
Think 'baptist' - but practice their services on the Sabbath (Saturday)...

:)

Protestant by doctrine...

Add in some unscriptural beliefs such as "soul sleep", claiming a false sabbath as the mark of the beast, and in most cases the following of a false prophet more than Jesus or the Bible, and you have a brief synopsis.

Of course, this doesn't answer the questions as the questions have not yet been defined.

Yurt, seventh-day adventists are a denomination of Protestant Christianity that insists that the Sabbath is still to be Saturday, the seventh day, as opposed to Sunday, the first day. Early Christians started holding their weekly meetings on Sunday to commemorate that day of the week, because Jesus rose from the dead on a Sunday (Easter, to be exact). However, SDAs believe that there is no justification to change the Sabbath day from its original day of Saturday, on which the Israelites/Jews have traditionally celebrated the Sabbath because God commanded it to be on the seventh day, the day He rested from His work of creating the universe.

I have not known any SDAs personally, but my wife has, and she says that the SDA church is quite legalistic in their beliefs compared to other denominations.

Originally posted by NewGuy
Nice people are found everywhere. The religion is irrelevant.

I was talking about comparing one belief system to another. -Not one person to another. If you had some frame of reference it makes it easier.

Then what the heck do you want to know?

My thoughts exactly - I was like WTF?

:rotflmao:

Ifyou ever talk to me like that again we're going to have issues.:rolleyes:

This is what you said, strangefolk:

"Well I don't want to compare the person per se, only if you do happen to know one, if they are all around a nice person. I know, don't personalize a church on one person. However, just curious.

As to a synopsis, no I did not want that else I would do some lengthy research."

I haven't judged anyone, you are the one passing judgement.
And you make about as much sense as tits on a bull.

I haven't judged anyone, you are the one passing judgement.

WHAT? You haven't passed judgment?? Explain the first line of your quote... if you can.

Newguy and GOP_Jeff

Thanks, that was exactly the kind of info I wanted. Due to the overwhelming negative response from a few people, I am going to try to close this thread.

Thanks again.

Yurt

WHAT? You haven't passed judgment?? Explain the first line of your quote... if you can.

He walks around his front lawn in the middle of the night pulling weeds.

That's strange.

Newguy and GOP_Jeff

Thanks, that was exactly the kind of info I wanted. Due to the overwhelming negative response from a few people, I am going to try to close this thread.

Thanks again.

Yurt

Please do.:D

Unless the thread devolves into a flamefest, no need to close it... someone else who is more knowledgable aobut SDA's might inform us all of something.

I have not researched this, but I remember as a kid, I knew a family of SDA. The children of this family told me that they were vegetarian - part of thier religion like Mormons do not use tobacco or caffeine. I took it as truth 'cause that's what the kid told me and I had no reason not to believe him.

It was also wierd 'cause on Sat. when all of us neighborhood boys wanted to hang out and watch or play baseball, they would be in church. And of course on Sunday's it would be reversed.

Anyway, the vegetarian thing kinda weirded me out. I mean as a kid I was aghast that "you mean you can't go to McDonald's"?

Forum List

Back