What is a reputation comment?

i have now enabled the PM notification on rep comments.

i guess this will install the infamous "reply" button.

i am now fully equipped to answer.

you have been warned.

thank you.

Since this seems to be an ongoing thread (and probably discussed elsewhere in it), I'm curious what the medals represent and also who determines whether or not someone should be a mayor, senator, etc. Neither seems to be based on anything, i.e., number of posts, tenure, so I'm guessing it must be personal preference by the moderators.

Since this seems to be an ongoing thread (and probably discussed elsewhere in it), I'm curious what the medals represent and also who determines whether or not someone should be a mayor, senator, etc. Neither seems to be based on anything, i.e., number of posts, tenure, so I'm guessing it must be personal preference by the moderators.

the system assigns things like 'police chief' and 'could be mayor' based on your total number of reputation points. It's kinda like the 'new user', 'regular user', and 'guru' titles that some boards put under your name based on your total posts, only more dynamic since you get points for rep, posts, new threads, and how highly rated your threads become.

The green bars provide a visual guide to how close you are to another medal, and together they provide a quick visual reference for comparing users' rep points without viewing the exact number. Red bars imply negative rep and can be seen with users like Yukon.

Last edited:

the system assigns things like 'police chief' and 'could be mayor' based on your total number of reputation points. It's kinda like the 'new user', 'regular user', and 'guru' titles that some boards put under your name based on your total posts, only more dynamic since you get points for rep, posts, new threads, and how highly rated your threads become.

The green bars provide a visual guide to how close you are to another medal, and together they provide a quick visual reference for comparing users' rep points without viewing the exact number. Red bars imply negative rep and can be seen with users like Yukon.

Sorry, I'm not buying it. I have no great desire to become a designated Buddha or a Senator on a message board, but I'm curious why someone like BIG BLACK DOG, who became a member in May, has 870 posts, 4 "green" reps (I presume those are the good ones), yet he has one silver and one gold medal and has already become a "senator."

Sorry, I'm not buying it. I have no great desire to become a designated Buddha or a Senator on a message board, but I'm curious why someone like BIG BLACK DOG, who became a member in May, has 870 posts, 4 "green" reps (I presume those are the good ones), yet he has one silver and one gold medal and has already become a "senator."
If Al Franken can be a senator, anyone can be.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
If Al Franken can be a senator, anyone can be.

Shall we "rep" each member of the Senate? I bet I win.

wrong. rep neg and pos is given by other members. if i were to rep you pos, you'd get 170 something rep points. for every 1000 rep points your total rep increases by one. also for every 1000 posts you make, your total increases by one. if someone neg reps you, half of their total rep value is deducted from yours. so, again if i negged you, you'd lose 85 points. as someone else pointed out, the green dots indicate how close you are to a medal. i don't remember what increments the medals are. the mayor, senator, bhuddha stuff is automated in the software.

other than repping other members, pos and neg, mods have nothing to do with it.

So....are you saying we can be a "Buddha"? If we earn enough internet karma?

Cool :D

Attachments

• $coyotekarma2 copy.jpg
    $coyotekarma2 copy.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 47
Gunny,

How many rep points does it take to go up in rep power? How many points do you get per each positive rep, how many do you lose for negatives?

wrong. rep neg and pos is given by other members. if i were to rep you pos, you'd get 170 something rep points. for every 1000 rep points your total rep increases by one. also for every 1000 posts you make, your total increases by one. if someone neg reps you, half of their total rep value is deducted from yours. so, again if i negged you, you'd lose 85 points. as someone else pointed out, the green dots indicate how close you are to a medal. i don't remember what increments the medals are. the mayor, senator, bhuddha stuff is automated in the software.

other than repping other members, pos and neg, mods have nothing to do with it.

Holy shit! What a formula. No wonder I don't care. Thanks anyway.

i don't remember what increments the medals are. the mayor, senator, bhuddha stuff is automated in the software.

This was something that I was always confused about...

There was one point when my rep power was way, way back near 35 (couple of months ago), and I showed that I was "beyond repute". But at the same time, there was someone who had a rep power of 36 who "could be the president", which was a lower description.

That meant that my description was rising more quickly than my rep power.

Forum List

Back