What is a reputation comment?

OK, but when the point total is let's say 100, why does the point power still say 1? It seems rep power has nothing to do with your actual rep total. So the system seems entirely arbitrary. I tried the FAQs but they were no real help.

Dorothy, you aren't in Kansas anymore. The blinding color changes aren't required here.

Rep power increases by 1 point for every 1000 rep points received, and or every 1000 posts.

The color was NAVY, not a bright color. Is there a problem with the Navy here, or is all color banned? Can color be used to highlight a key part of a quote?
I'm new here and I honestly don't know the rules of etiquette here.

There is no ban on using colors. It was pointed out that those of you that came from AOL (I assume?) had to change colors to distinguish posts. I was merely pointing out that you do not have to here. If that's what you like, knock yourself out.

OK, but when the point total is let's say 100, why does the point power still say 1? It seems rep power has nothing to do with your actual rep total. So the system seems entirely arbitrary. I tried the FAQs but they were no real help.

Dorothy, you aren't in Kansas anymore. The blinding color changes aren't required here.

Rep power increases by 1 point for every 1000 rep points received, and or every 1000 posts.

The color was NAVY, not a bright color. Is there a problem with the Navy here, or is all color banned? Can color be used to highlight a key part of a quote?

color isn't banned here but most people post in black and use color to highlight parts of posts. font sizes, bolding etc. are generally reserved for the same purpose. from what i've read about aol boards, y'all needed to use unique font/color schemes to differeniate your posts. that isn't necessary here. thanks for asking and welcome to the board.

Gunny's good peeps, but he can be a little grumpy sometimes. :eusa_whistle:

color isn't banned here but most people post in black and use color to highlight parts of posts. font sizes, bolding etc. are generally reserved for the same purpose. from what i've read about aol boards, y'all needed to use unique font/color schemes to differeniate your posts. that isn't necessary here. thanks for asking and welcome to the board.

That's right. The quoted posts were not set in boxes like here, so people tried to use a unique combination of type face and color to follow who said what in each reply. So we do it here out of habit.

:eusa_eh:

That's right. The quoted posts were not set in boxes like here, so people tried to use a unique combination of type face and color to follow who said what in each reply. So we do it here out of habit.

What I can't figure out is how to break up a long quote into sections to address separately and keep the poster's name in each box. I found a tab that turns a selection into a quote, but it doesn't seem to keep the author's name. I've seen it on other peoples posts so I must be doing something wrong or I'm missing a step.

GunnyL? Someone here actually had the nerve to use your name?:eek:

That was me. RGS -- RetiredGySgt is a Gunny. Anyone who wore the rank is.
yeah I got that part, I didnot do my research!:(
So what does the L stand for? You french?

French? Ummm ... not even close. My name is Scottish. I used the "L" at the end on another board before I came here because there was a another "Gunny" on the board. When I registered here, I just put it in as habit. I later had it taken out.

What I can't figure out is how to break up a long quote into sections to address separately and keep the poster's name in each box. I found a tab that turns a selection into a quote, but it doesn't seem to keep the author's name. I've seen it on other peoples posts so I must be doing something wrong or I'm missing a step.

When you click the quote button look closely at the quoted portion, the pattern within the brackets is like HTML using the word QUOTE. The the start has QUOTE in brackets, then at the end is a /QUOTE.

Look at the quote button. Directly to the right of it is the multi-quote function (a + sign). Click the plus sign in each post you want to quote. On the last post you click the plus sign, also click the quote button.

It will pull up the box for you to respond in and each quote you chose will appear separately. Just be careful of the quote brackets. If you mess those up, you will have a mess.

Look at the quote button. Directly to the right of it is the multi-quote function (a + sign). Click the plus sign in each post you want to quote. On the last post you click the plus sign, also click the quote button.

It will pull up the box for you to respond in and each quote you chose will appear separately. Just be careful of the quote brackets. If you mess those up, you will have a mess.

Thanks a lot.

Thanks a lot.

that didn't hurt a bit, did it? :eusa_angel:

:eusa_eh:

okay, so i lied about the sometimes part, sue me. :eusa_whistle:

It's tedius and those little boxes then the new comment is difficult to read anyway (for me, that is), so I just skip that feature. At least this board cascades so you can click on prior related posts if you want.

French? Ummm ... not even close. My name is Scottish. I used the "L" at the end on another board before I came here because there was a another "Gunny" on the board. When I registered here, I just put it in as habit. I later had it taken out.

How do you get to be an administrator? Gotta be nice all the time?

How do you get to be an administrator? Gotta be nice all the time?

... nope! :eusa_whistle:

Whereas the Right will imply foul play, and when corrected they Cut & Run without apology to another thread as if they still had credibility.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/the-f...rian-gave-me-three-neg-reps-in-one-day-2.html

Wow. Hope you didn't spend a long time on that awesome, as well as baseless deflection.:cuckoo:

It's hardly baseless if you had checked the link.
After implying that I was either lying or cheating when I said DiveCon had hit me with 6 neg reps because I was not in the red, someone took a powder and the thread was locked without an apology after I pointed out it was true and I didn't cheat.

I got some large pos reps from some music posts I had made which more than offset DiveCon's 6 and elvis' 3 neg reps. Even if a public apology is too much to expect after such an allegation, I didn't get a private one or even a rep to make up for it.
CON$ are very Liberal with the accusations, but conservative with the apologies.

GunnyL? Someone here actually had the nerve to use your name?:eek:

Now I understand why you blindly attacked me in defense of your fellow "Gunny!"

But now that I'm also aware of your powers, SURELY YOU, of all people, could have checked FIRST to see if I was lying about getting 6 neg reps from DiveCon or cheating with other AOL newbies to keep a pos rep as your fellow Gunny inferred, and whether I had justification for being offended by his implications, friend or not.

A Cynic likes to know what loyalties trump integrity. Thank you.

Last edited:

Now that was helpful, but I believe I'll wait a while to test it out.... <g>

Forum List

Back