What is a reputation comment?

The idea of spreading rep around isn't about just carelessly handing out a rep so you can go back and continue repping your buddies again. The idea is to give it to someone who deserves it. The purpose is to keep people from stacking rep points by giving multiple reps to the same person repeatedly.

If you just simply don't see any other posts besides your buddies' that deserve rep, than maybe it makes sense to just wait until you see one that you feel truely deserves it instead of guilt-tripping yourself over how you "spread" it to enable yourself to go back and continue stacking your buddies' rep.

:eusa_boohoo:

Shoulda put you on the whiner list too.

:eusa_boohoo:

Shoulda put you on the whiner list too.

What he's saying is essentially correct as far as the ideal behind the reputation system goes. It IS supposed to be based on merit. That is the intent.

We know it's not and I'm sure not going to try blowing smoke up anyone's butt about it. I'm like as not to rep someone for making me laugh as I am for what I consider an outstanding post. But the system itself is STILL based on perception and belief so it CAN'T be enforced by a set of rigid rules.

So it is what it is. Play with it or not, but it really isn't an indicator of one's political knowledge and ability to debate issues.

The idea of spreading rep around isn't about just carelessly handing out a rep so you can go back and continue repping your buddies again. The idea is to give it to someone who deserves it. The purpose is to keep people from stacking rep points by giving multiple reps to the same person repeatedly.

If you just simply don't see any other posts besides your buddies' that deserve rep, than maybe it makes sense to just wait until you see one that you feel truely deserves it instead of guilt-tripping yourself over how you "spread" it to enable yourself to go back and continue stacking your buddies' rep.

Easier said than done if you don't participate in multiple topics and multiplt threads....

AND i never just handed rep out to get back to repping a friend or something...that was an example of what could happen is what i should have said and also i have read of others saying them doing it...

I don't even know anyone here to haphazzardly hand out reps or to stack reps on to some buddy list of friends, I usually rep when someone is a complete, sarcastic, smartass....even if i disagreed with the statement, IF IT MADE ME LAUGH.....and then when I see a good post that I agree with....but no one is a buddy buddy trying to give some to get some kind of thing....

that is simply childish.

So when I decide something is funny and a great remark, I want to be able to acknowledge such....I am an adult, I know what I am doing, I know what posts I admire or agree with or are really unique in criticism that I want to rep, I don't play games with rep points...

end of story.

I do understand that there are children out there playing the rules to benefit themselves but I don't care about them...they can mess up the system if they feel like it, I just want to be able to give a rep, when I have determined a rep deserved giving and not be held back because some punks have decided to abuse the system...it's like putting me in jail for someone elses crime....ya know?

But, honestly, I can live with all the need to spread some rep around thing...I just felt like since I am a girl, I should add to the bitching around here! :rofl:

Care

AND i never just handed rep out to get back to repping a friend or something...that was an example of what could happen is what i should have said and also i have read of others saying them doing it...

Well, after reading this:

care4all said:
i came from a system that is just like this one now, where you found yourself not able to rep, then giving out any rep so you could get passed the requirement

You said yourself there that you would give out "any rep" to get past the requirement.

I'm not sure how else to interpret that except to mean you were giving out superficial rep so you could come back and rep someone again. Whether or not it was for a particular buddy's benefit is irrelevant, really.

I was just saying that there shouldn't be a need to just hand out any old rep to get past the requirement. If that appeared to be the case for you, why not just wait until you saw a post that actually DESERVED rep, instead of giving it just to get past the spread clause.

And thanks for the neg rep on that post Anguille, it's been a while.

Hey Gunny.. Will you help me show these people just how much Rep means and reset ALL of my reputation?

hopefully, the tears will stop flowing over rep points.

Nah. People will just think you're dumb.:razz:

Ha, until I checked this thread I thought he had gotten neg-rep dog-piled or something. I was actually a little impressed that he had managed to piss off that many people, but now I see it was just Wizard-of-Oz-ery.

Really though it was more like shaving off a long beard. It'll grow back, but the sudden change was a bit eye-brow-raising.

Ha, until I checked this thread I thought he had gotten neg-rep dog-piled or something. I was actually a little impressed that he had managed to piss off that many people, but now I see it was just Wizard-of-Oz-ery.

Really though it was more like shaving off a long beard. It'll grow back, but the sudden change was a bit eye-brow-raising.

bump

bump
GunnyL? Someone here actually had the nerve to use your name?:eek:

I have no idea.

Click on the scales in the top right border of the post you wish to give either positive or negative reputation to. A window will appear and you can choose between positive rep and negative rep. There is also a space below your choice to express your opinion concerning the post.

If you look at the top right hand corner of your box, it says rep power and rep total.

If you give postive rep, an amount of points is given to the person you rep equal to your rep power.

If you give negative rep, an amount of points is taken from the person you rep equal to half your rep power.

If you go to the main page and look to the top left of the page you will see "User CP (Control Panel). Click on that, and the last 10-15 reps given you along with their comments will appear.

OK, but when the point total is let's say 100, why does the point power still say 1? It seems rep power has nothing to do with your actual rep total. So the system seems entirely arbitrary. I tried the FAQs but they were no real help.

I have no idea.

Click on the scales in the top right border of the post you wish to give either positive or negative reputation to. A window will appear and you can choose between positive rep and negative rep. There is also a space below your choice to express your opinion concerning the post.

If you look at the top right hand corner of your box, it says rep power and rep total.

If you give postive rep, an amount of points is given to the person you rep equal to your rep power.

If you give negative rep, an amount of points is taken from the person you rep equal to half your rep power.

If you go to the main page and look to the top left of the page you will see "User CP (Control Panel). Click on that, and the last 10-15 reps given you along with their comments will appear.

OK, but when the point total is let's say 100, why does the point power still say 1? It seems rep power has nothing to do with your actual rep total. So the system seems entirely arbitrary. I tried the FAQs but they were no real help.

For every 1,000 points of rep from people=1 rep point. Plus, for every 1,000 posts you earn a rep point.

For example, I have a total of 120,589 rep points, for a total rep of 127.

Does that help?

bump

GunnyL IS Gunny ... just with a sense of humor ... LOL

*hides*

For every 1,000 points of rep from people=1 rep point. Plus, for every 1,000 posts you earn a rep point.

For example, I have a total of 120,589 rep points, for a total rep of 127.

Does that help?

Yes, thank you.

bump

That was me. RGS -- RetiredGySgt is a Gunny. Anyone who wore the rank is.

I have no idea.

Dorothy, you aren't in Kansas anymore. The blinding color changes aren't required here.

Rep power increases by 1 point for every 1000 rep points received, and or every 1000 posts.

Dorothy, you aren't in Kansas anymore. The blinding color changes aren't required here.

Rep power increases by 1 point for every 1000 rep points received, and or every 1000 posts.

The color was NAVY, not a bright color. Is there a problem with the Navy here, or is all color banned? Can color be used to highlight a key part of a quote?
I'm new here and I honestly don't know the rules of etiquette here.

Forum List

Back