What is a reputation comment?

If someone agrees or disagrees with one of your posts they can give you neg or pos rep which increases that par on your upper right side of posts.

I don't think it's really indicative of anything besides opinions.

• Thanks
Reactions: mal
If someone agrees or disagrees with one of your posts they can give you neg or pos rep which increases that par on your upper right side of posts.

I don't think it's really indicative of anything besides opinions.
(Course it's not really supposed to be this way, ----but) if sombody likes what you say, you get a positive rep if they disagree, you get a negative rep. But look at it this way. If everybody agreed, it would be a very boring forum. I didn't come here looking for a mutual admiration society, so if I get a majority of negative regs, (which I do,)at least I am being effective in getting my opinion out.

I wondered the same thing, especially since mine went up and then down. I thought who is reading my mind or does Gonzales have a new job? You click the justice scale to vote.

I have no idea.

Click on the scales in the top right border of the post you wish to give either positive or negative reputation to. A window will appear and you can choose between positive rep and negative rep. There is also a space below your choice to express your opinion concerning the post.

If you look at the top right hand corner of your box, it says rep power and rep total.

If you give postive rep, an amount of points is given to the person you rep equal to your rep power.

If you give negative rep, an amount of points is taken from the person you rep equal to half your rep power.

If you go to the main page and look to the top left of the page you will see "User CP (Control Panel). Click on that, and the last 10-15 reps given you along with their comments will appear.

If you are in the negative, you have no rep power. A positive or negative rep will be worth zero points.

BTW, I still hate the new rep system. Not only does it suck, getting that "you must spread some rep around" message when you want to compliment someone on a really good or bad post, but then you can't even be sure if the rep you get isn't just someone else trying to spread it around.

BTW, I still hate the new rep system. Not only does it suck, getting that "you must spread some rep around" message when you want to compliment someone on a really good or bad post, but then you can't even be sure if the rep you get isn't just someone else trying to spread it around.

i came from a system that is just like this one now, where you found yourself not able to rep, then giving out any rep so you could get passed the requirement....maybe it needs to be somewhere in the middle of whatever count between rep number u were on to one not quite as restrictive as this one...?

I think you should be able to rep anyone you like as often as you like. And to appease the rep-point whiners, just set it up so that each time you rep the same person in a short period of time (or within the last x number of reps given) the points awarded drops exponentially. I'm pretty sure if I were running this place, I could figure out how to set up the algorithm. But Gunny? :eusa_think: Methinks probably not. :cool:

Really? But you've been S-O-O-O happy with eveything else about the board and not once tried to tell me how things should be.:rolleyes:

i came from a system that is just like this one now, where you found yourself not able to rep, then giving out any rep so you could get passed the requirement....maybe it needs to be somewhere in the middle of whatever count between rep number u were on to one not quite as restrictive as this one...?

The rep is currently set where it is because I was getting too many complaints and arguments about this member or that abusing the rep. I reset it so it is harder to abuse, and it's easier for me to catch abuse.

It was initially set at 8 reps before you could rep the same person twice. I later cut that in half to 4. That's where it stands.

Yeah, I could see the reasoning for doing it this way, but passing out 8 token reps before you are free to rep again is too much. And you can't just opt out of the rep system because unless people see the tiny miniscule icon that shows you have disabled it, they will still keep giving you rep.

Really? But you've been S-O-O-O happy with eveything else about the board and not once tried to tell me how things should be.:rolleyes:

The rep is currently set where it is because I was getting too many complaints and arguments about this member or that abusing the rep. I reset it so it is harder to abuse, and it's easier for me to catch abuse.

It was initially set at 8 reps before you could rep the same person twice. I later cut that in half to 4. That's where it stands.

I didn't realize you had cut it to 4. That's easier to deal with.
2 would be even easier ..

Yeah, I could see the reasoning for doing it this way, but passing out 8 token reps before you are free to rep again is too much. And you can't just opt out of the rep system because unless people see the tiny miniscule icon that shows you have disabled it, they will still keep giving you rep.

I still can't believe nobody voted for you on the whiner poll yet.

I think you should contact the people who write vbulletin's programs and parameters and let them know what you think.

care4all said:

The idea of spreading rep around isn't about just carelessly handing out a rep so you can go back and continue repping your buddies again. The idea is to give it to someone who deserves it. The purpose is to keep people from stacking rep points by giving multiple reps to the same person repeatedly.

If you just simply don't see any other posts besides your buddies' that deserve rep, than maybe it makes sense to just wait until you see one that you feel truely deserves it instead of guilt-tripping yourself over how you "spread" it to enable yourself to go back and continue stacking your buddies' rep.

Forum List

Back