What is a libertarian?

Ah, I see where your ignorance lies. No, we are not talking about the corn varieties they grow in Nebraska. Expand your mind.

That's the only kind of corn that comes on "ears." The British sometimes used the term "corn" to refer to any grain product. That is why we sometimes refer to the British "corn" laws which caused many Irish people to starve to death. The people who wrote your version of the Bible must have mistranslated something, because there was no "corn" corn in ancient Egypt.

Last edited:
Ah, I see where your ignorance lies. No, we are not talking about the corn varieties they grow in Nebraska. Expand your mind.

That's the only kind of corn that comes on "ears."

Wrong again, but that you are anxious to be so willfully ignorant and on a topic you don't know anything about says a lot about you.

7641. shibbol or shibboleth

noun feminine ear of grain;

'corn' is generally used to mean the dominant grain of a region.

7641. ?????????? (shibbol or shibboleth) -- ear (of grain)

Last edited:
Pointless distinction.

That is the very distinction this entire discussion is about. There is no such thing as a natural monopoly.

You are spinning, but I will play.

Price fixing of dominate low-cost producers, for example, are good examples of 'natural monopolies' not supported by governments.

Like, for example, Standard Oil?

Did you know that Standard Oil was shedding losing share every year even before the government went after them?

I should always make a point of dumbing it down for you.

You wanted to know how the next marginal producer could not compete.

You are welcome.

Plenty of oil companies make billions drilling in deep water, so your chart proves no such thing.

The Arabs have a dramatic per barrel cost advantage of extracting oil vis-a-vis the competition. You are embarassing yourself.

Yet they don't have a monopoly.

An "industry with a natural monopoly?"

Are you tired of getting drilled yet?

The canal system of Brittian was another natural monopoly in the 18th century.

Now, this is were you attempt to narrow your argument once again.

:lol:

A system that was dominated by the first supplier that invested in building the infrastructure. You are entirely correct, that is the textbook definition of a natural monopoly. Funny thing though, it only happened to be a monopoly in actual practice because it was chartered by an Act of Parliament and had the tariffs set by law. That actually supports bripat's, and my, assertion that monopolies are not actually natural.

The Arabs have a dramatic per barrel cost advantage of extracting oil vis-a-vis the competition. You are embarassing yourself.

Yet they don't have a monopoly.

We were talking about how a cartel can discourage the next marginal producer.

Tell me something, how did OPEC discourage oil production in places where it is actually less expensive to extract oil than it is in Saudi Arabia?

An "industry with a natural monopoly?"

Are you tired of getting drilled yet?

The canal system of Brittian was another natural monopoly in the 18th century.

Now, this is were you attempt to narrow your argument once again.

:lol:

A system that was dominated by the first supplier that invested in building the infrastructure. You are entirely correct, that is the textbook definition of a natural monopoly. Funny thing though, it only happened to be a monopoly in actual practice because it was chartered by an Act of Parliament and had the tariffs set by law. That actually supports bripat's, and my, assertion that monopolies are not actually natural.

You meaningless 'textbook' bullshit is of little interest to me. Let's see Libertariantardation in action the real world.

I would be curious to know what you think of patent law and intellectual property rights.

Should there be any such laws / protections afforded inventors / producers / citizens?

Should Edison have been the only one permitted to make lightbulbs forever, or should all competitiors be permitted to copy the invention starting day one?

Now, if I recall, Windbag, you are the one who started the thread demanding no government regulations of any sort, so obviously you would be for absolutely no laws protecting inventions, patents and intellectual property.

Correct?

A: Someone who whines that both parties are foul yet votes Republican every single time.

Weird... I don't remember voting for John McCain in 2008.

True, you and three other libertarians.

Out of curiosity, are you basing that on anything? Or just typing?

A "libertarian" who consistently votes Republican isn't. On this, I'll join you in calling out the hypocrisy. So maybe it's just a matter of definition.

I've definitely observed the habit of many Republicans who, recognizing the associations their party affiliations implies (religious right, neo-cons, bankster apologists, etc...), want to retain some credibility by claiming libertarian views. But claiming these views is simply a lie if they consistently vote for candidates who represent the opposite.

Simply put, a libertarian is someone who consistently votes for libertarian candidates (regardless of party affiliation). To say they do something else is to say they aren't libertarian.

A: Someone who whines that both parties are foul yet votes Republican every single time.
633918709174179410-yourproblem.jpg

Is it your contention, then, that there was no canal and water industry natural monopolies in Britain in the 18th century?

Did Egypt have a monopoly on corn in Joseph's day?

Corn didn't exist in Egypt in Joseph's day.

You are a fool. We are done here.

'Joseph in Egypt

Money with a hoarding tax was already introduced by Joseph when he was viceroy of Egypt. When the pharaoh had dreams about seven fat cows being eaten by seven lean cows and seven full ears of corn being devoured by seven thin and blasted ears of corn, Joseph explained the dreams to the pharaoh. He told the pharao that seven good years would come and after that seven bad years would follow. Joseph advised the Egyptians to store food on a large scale. They followed his advise and built storehouses for food. In this way Egypt survived the seven years of scarcity.'

Natural money: the most efficient monetary system - OpenGov - Open Government Brainstorm - by IdeaScale

The word Corn was misapplied to maize when the explorers arrived in the new world.
I was confused about this in high school while reading of the Roman corn factors who were responsible for storage and distribution and thinking in modern terms. Prior to the discovery of the new world, corn was a generic term referring to grains such as wheat, barley, and rye.

Forum List

Back