What is a healthy society?

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
Since we are asking questions about it in other threads, I thought it might be good to define it.

I have a few ideas. Ill through them out there

1) Not corrupt
2) People with strong individual responsibility
3) Merit based
4) Sustainable to future generations.

I have a few ideas. Ill through them out there

1) Not corrupt
2) People with strong individual responsibility
3) Merit based
4) Sustainable to future generations.

Those are fine ideas, but still subject to human error:
I confess that there are several parts of this constitution which I do not at present approve, but I am not sure I shall never approve them: For having lived long, I have experienced many instances of being obliged by better information, or fuller consideration, to change opinions even on important subjects, which I once thought right, but found to be otherwise. It is therefore that the older I grow, the more apt I am to doubt my own judgment, and to pay more respect to the judgment of others. Most men indeed as well as most sects in Religion, think themselves in possession of all truth, and that wherever others differ from them it is so far error. Steele a Protestant in a Dedication tells the Pope, that the only difference between our Churches in their opinions of the certainty of their doctrines is, the Church of Rome is infallible and the Church of England is never in the wrong. But though many private persons think almost as highly of their own infallibility as of that of their sect, few express it so naturally as a certain french lady, who in a dispute with her sister, said "I don't know how it happens, Sister but I meet with no body but myself, that's always in the right — Il n'y a que moi qui a toujours raison."

In these sentiments, Sir, I agree to this Constitution with all its faults, if they are such; because I think a general Government necessary for us, and there is no form of Government but what may be a blessing to the people if well administered, and believe farther that this is likely to be well administered for a course of years, and can only end in Despotism, as other forms have done before it, when the people shall become so corrupted as to need despotic Government, being incapable of any other. I doubt too whether any other Convention we can obtain, may be able to make a better Constitution.
~Ben Franklin, constitutional convention

Speech of Benjamin Franklin - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

The best laid plans of men always fail in the end.

There can be no healthy society comprised of fully fallible and often perverse participants.

Man is a product of nature and nature's God. And like all of these products is tasked with the mission of survival at all costs and diversity in all it's forms.

Among animals the champions are called apex predators. And they survive via destruction of others.

Stable, complex, just societies have never existed and prolly never will, being completely at odds with our nature.

Boom and bust is a character trait common to all living things. It is in fact the very currency of survival, adaption and evolution.

Something always has to die so that something else may survive.

That's the game and none of your high minded ideas can change it.

On the other hand if we were plants you might be onto something.

Last edited:
I would say a healthy society is one that isnt about to destroy itself.

i just want to live in a place where i don't have to worry about paying my mortgage and putting gas in my car. i shouldn't have to worry about being able to find a job or what will happen to me if i get sick.

i just want to live in a place where i don't have to worry about paying my mortgage and putting gas in my car. i shouldn't have to worry about being able to find a job or what will happen to me if i get sick.

Choose not to worry about it then.

Choose not to worry about it then.

it is my right to have a job. and a house, and decent healthcare.

says so right there in the constitution.

A healthy society is one that treats every citizen equally, no matter if it feels good or not to have some kinds of 'special treatment'... A healthy society rids itself of its maniacal murderers... a healthy society embraces the personal freedoms of its citizens while applying the rule of law to ensure you do not infringe on the rights and freedoms of others in the name of your freedom... a healthy society has successes and failures... a healthy society does not allow the tyranny of the masses

Forum List

Back