CDZ What is a friend

D Truth

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2014
What is a "friend"?

Full Definition of friend
  1. 1 a : one attached to another by affection or esteem b : acquaintance

2. 2 a : one that is not hostile b : one that is of the same nation, party, or group

3. 3 : one that favors or promotes something (as a charity)

4. 4 : a favored companion

5. 5 capitalized : a member of a Christian sect that stresses Inner Light, rejects sacraments and an ordained ministry, and opposes war —called also Quaker

Is family better than friends?
Are your coworkers friends?
Is any friend a potential foe?
Friend is actually an ambiguous term?

The debate presented:
There really is no such thing as a friend, in the modern context.
A friend is a social construct.
A friend isn't real.

What is a "friend"?

2. 2 a : one that is not hostile b : one that is of the same nation, party, or group

5. 5 capitalized : a member of a Christian sect that stresses Inner Light, rejects sacraments and an ordained ministry, and opposes war —called also Quaker

The debate presented:
A friend isn't real.
What? Did you ask Suri what zero divided by zero is?

Someone we love in an extra-sexual (meaning not sexual) way?

What is a "friend"?

The debate presented:
A friend isn't real.
I have lots of neighbors and only a couple would I consider friends. Friends are people you like and like you back.

Nothing beats family if your family is good. But not all families are equal

Job, Family and outland's workers in my city are friends of me.
Old friends does no will to met me in my city within one I no want.
He's gang member from Poland and father from Iraq and like terrorists.
:doubt:

Americans does not like terrorists outside ISIS at least U.S.A. GOP, how we given money to then they force up in Syria and maybe soon in Libya big areas with smaller armies than Egypt how have x10 bigger force than Libyan armies and both two big areas. ISIS can go in with 6000 or 10,000 soldier in Libyan land and the war has begin. Yes, U.S.A. have force up ISIS in Syria then S.A. or Iran in Iraq.

I like ISIS in south they must win then in Syria and then Libya even America do help Libyan armies this time like Iraq in Iraq 4000 or 6000 USAF troops.

My definition of a friend:

Someone for whom you would help hide the body, no questions asked, and vice versa.

I have two of those. I married one of them. I trust them both without reservation.

I always told my kids... If in life you have one person you can trust without reservation, one person to whom you tell all your secrets, your hopes, your dreams, you're lucky.

What is a "friend"?

The debate presented:
A friend isn't real.
I have lots of neighbors and only a couple would I consider friends. Friends are people you like and like you back.

Neighbor, that is a good point. Still is a neighbor that you get along with a friend or just a good neighbor?
I agree there are neighbors who are better at being neighbors than others... but why this now nebulous term "friend"?

Think about the people you are forced to interact with...
Family, well for the most part you don't have a choice in the matter, except for marriage, still those are the only people you are able to actually trust.
Co-workers, again you don't have much choice unless you are the boss, even then... and you are a damn fool if you think a co-worker should ever be family tier.
Neighbors, yet again not much choice in these barbaric times... and again you are a damned fool if you think they are ever family tier.

So has the entire concept of friend become a make believe construct we exercise to numb the pain of forced social activity? Just to get by day to day?

(Hint: this thread is a lead-in to a freedom of association discussion)

What is a "friend"?

The debate presented:
A friend isn't real.

Neighbor, that is a good point. Still is a neighbor that you get along with a friend or just a good neighbor?
I agree there are neighbors who are better at being neighbors than others... but why this now nebulous term "friend"?

Family, well for the most part you don't have a choice in the matter, except for marriage, still those are the only people you are able to actually trust.
Co-workers, again you don't have much choice unless you are the boss, even then... and you are a damn fool if you think a co-worker should ever be family tier.
Neighbors, yet again not much choice in these barbaric times... and again you are a damned fool if you think they are ever family tier.

So has the entire concept of friend become a make believe construct we exercise to numb the pain of forced social activity? Just to get by day to day?

My parents faught with in laws and friends and neighbors and relatives. Now everyone they like are dead and all they have are me my bro and two grandkids. It's very sad to see them lonely. When my dad goes to get togethers at my bro he talks the whole time because he doesn't have friends. It was OK till my mom got Alzheimer's so now he probably wishes he had more friends now.

But also a lot of " friends" disappear when you get Alzheimer's. Hell, even families do. Not fun to be around. Family is most important and I don't mean cousins

What is a "friend"?

The debate presented:
A friend isn't real.

My parents faught with in laws and friends and neighbors and relatives. Now everyone they like are dead and all they have are me my bro and two grandkids. It's very sad to see them lonely. When my dad goes to get togethers at my bro he talks the whole time because he doesn't have friends. It was OK till my mom got Alzheimer's so now he probably wishes he had more friends now.

But also a lot of " friends" disappear when you get Alzheimer's. Hell, even families do. Not fun to be around. Family is most important and I don't mean cousins

How do you know they are "lonely"?
Because your dad talks when he is at your brothers? That doesn't seem to be so lonely. It just seems he prefers the company of his family.
I don't know anything more than what you posted, though it seems that you are speculating quite a bit on how others feel about social interaction.

Friends aren't going to help your dad feel any better about the situation with his wife. Chances are they will just divert his attention from where he most wants it to be, as challenging as it may be to deal with. Such diversion will hurt him even more profoundly in the long run. Also, think about your mom! she doesn't need your dad gallivanting around in social circles, she may need him now more than ever.

I don't mean to argue, just presenting another way to think about it.

Last edited:
What is a "friend"?

The debate presented:
A friend isn't real.

Because your dad talks when he is at your brothers? That doesn't seem to be so lonely. It just seems he prefers the company of his family.
I don't know anything more than what you posted, though it seems that you are speculating quite a bit on how others feel about social interaction.

Friends aren't going to help your dad feel any better about the situation with his wife. Chances are they will just divert his attention from where he most wants it to be, as challenging as it may be to deal with. Such diversion will hurt him even more profoundly in the long run. Also, think about your mom! she doesn't need your dad gallivanting around in social circles, she may need him now more than ever.

Im curious where you are going with this. I just wanted to give you an idea how friends can be important. But I also understand most friends are only good time friends. They'll come to your party but not to help you move.

What brought up this topic?

What is a "friend"?

The debate presented:
A friend isn't real.

Im curious where you are going with this. I just wanted to give you an idea how friends can be important. But I also understand most friends are only good time friends. They'll come to your party but not to help you move.

What brought up this topic?

Again, freedom of association.
I guess the original goal was to discuss freedom of association. I took a diversion because you seemed in need of an alternate opinion.
I'm afraid I can't offer anymore, though I am willing to make this thread work towards it's original goal.
:)

What is a "friend"?

The debate presented:
A friend isn't real.
After much introspection and thought, I came up with this for my "definition" of a "friend":
A friend is someone who shows up at your door at three in the morning with a six-pack and a shovel when your dog dies. Doesn't say anything, just gives you a beer. A friend is someone who takes their last vacation day, with no notice, because your water main burst and you need help. You didn't ask, they just did it. A friend is someone who gives you their last dollar, because you need it more than they do. Again, you didn't ask, you didn't have to, they just know. A friend is someone who drives half-way across the country, through the night, cause your kid had a bad accident and you need their support. A friend is someone who offers their kidney when yours gives out, you didn't ask, they just know you would do it for them. A friend is someone who is there for you, even when it is not easy. They are there when you bought the house, and they are there, no questions asked, when it burns to the ground. A friend is someone who will risk other friends to be at your side when you need it most.

Sometimes a friend is a relative, mostly they are not. My best friend sleeps next to me every night. The rest of you can kick rocks for all I care. I will be your friend, but you have to EARN it.

Forum List

Back