What is a decent GPA?

Ozmar

This tree will shoot you.
Aug 25, 2010
North Carolina
I know that's a highly subjective question, but in your own opinion, what is a decent GPA, and why do you consider it to be good?

In undergrad, at least a 3.8 in your major and mebbe a 3.0 to 3.5 overall. In grad school, law school, medical school whatever....3.8 or better.

If you have the ability there's no excuse for not applying yourself at that stage.

Moderate amount of flexibility for grading policies at certain schools, life events, etc. but this should be taken seriously by age 22.

Of course, I went to school when the 3 point system was the norm.

Today?

I'll look at anyone. College doesn't mean jack, other than you know the absolute basics and you have some motivation. 2 days of experience in the real world trumps 2 years of studying in college, any day. I have 3 degrees, and 2 minors. I learned more practical knowledge in my first year of working than I did in the 5 years of college prior.

Potential, experience, attitude, education.

In that order.

And it has provided me a LOT of free time, and a LOT of profit :)

College only proves you're ready to take orders, and open to being trained. That doesn't take 4 years, and sometimes, it doesn't take a day of college.

I'll take a Veteran with no college over a grad, EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK.

I doubt a veteran or a college grad would long tolerate you.

Share that with my employees (I've lost 1 in 5 years, and that was because he had a genuinely better offer, which I had to talk him into taking. Their average bonus this year is $3400).

I'll take my chances :)

In an undergrad standard 4.0 system? I'd call 3.0 or better "decent". 3.5 or better "good". If it's a competitive 4.0 grading system anything higher then 2.5 puts you statistically in the top half, but I'd still want to be 2.7 at least before calling it "decent".

I know that's a highly subjective question, but in your own opinion, what is a decent GPA, and why do you consider it to be good?

If schools were truly honestly grading, a C (or 2.0 or 2.5 depending on the way they score) would be a decent grade.

But we live in a time of grade inflation so a B or B+ is considered an average grade, now.

Now, how a grade that means " better than average" can actually mean average is one of those tricks of logic that we like to play on ourselves.

Since I actually believe in grades and as a teacher often flunked kids (with real live F's) ya'll can probably understand why I'm not longer teaching.

I don't give a fig if a kid is a good kid, or a football player or a cheerleader or if their daddy owns the big local business, either.

Fuck up in my class and you fail.

I'm a teacher who is philosophically out of step with my profession and I'm arrogant enough to think I am right and the vast majority of my peers are just plain old wrong.

Last edited:
I went back to school to finish my degree six years ago. I had a 3.3 or 3.4 at the time (I had an associate and had taken about 11 classes towards my bachelor's while I worked full time). I decided that anything over 3.5 was great and never once set my goal as 4.0 because if I did and didn't achieve that, I would have seen it as failure. I graduated magna cum laude with a 3.72 and felt really good about it because to me, it was icing on the cake. . . . I aimed for a 3.5 and earned a 3.72. It's better to set reasonable goals and exceed them then to set unrealistic goals and fall short, thus feeling like a failure. Least that how I always looked at it.

I strived for 4's and was satisified with A- when I didn't get the A. But the B in Spanish killed my GPA!

I doubt a veteran or a college grad would long tolerate you.

Share that with my employees (I've lost 1 in 5 years, and that was because he had a genuinely better offer, which I had to talk him into taking. Their average bonus this year is $3400).

I'll take my chances :)

you can't even get a job as a driver for fedex without a college degree.

Forum List

Back