What is a conservative?

ThinkCritically

Open to opinion
Apr 4, 2012
San Francisco
I'm confused as to what conservative is? Its seems to me that it is almost like a Rorschach test. If you are a "conservative" let me know what makes a politician conservative. If you are not a "conservative" feel free to chime in, but keep the hate to a minimum please.

I'm confused as to what conservative is? Its seems to me that it is almost like a Rorschach test. If you are a "conservative" let me know what makes a politician conservative. If you are not a "conservative" feel free to chime in, but keep the hate to a minimum please.

In the current context of political discourse?

The Founders and the Republic...The Constitution and it's tenants...

Individual Liberty.

Not ceding to groupthink for popular movements of the moment based upon cult of personality or knee-jerk reaction...

LAW guides our action(s) Not Mob Rule...

Pretty simple actually.

I really only care about fiscal conservativism when it comes to politicians. And, I quite like it if they understand what the Constitution means, and why the federal government does not get to legislate every fucking aspect of life.

Precisely. And just because they have the power of the purse doesn't mean they get to spend us as they see fit into oblivion...no matter thier cause.

Wait, let me add one:

Invade, destroy and occupy countries that annoy you (as long as they can't fight back). This is our planet and everyone must do things our way. Fill American body bags, destroy American military lives and families, waste trillions. Then tell us how you support the troops.

No charge for that one.

Wait, let me add one:

Invade, destroy and occupy countries that annoy you (as long as they can't fight back). This is our planet and everyone must do things our way. Fill American body bags, destroy American military lives and families, waste trillions. Then tell us how you support the troops.

No charge for that one.

So, Obama is a Conservative?

Wait, let me add one:

No charge for that one.

I'm trying to think of a country that Obama invaded, occupied, destroyed, spent trillions on and destroyed the lives of thousands of American military families.

Has he been too slow getting out of the horrific shit that Bush got us into? Yes, you bet, absolutely. But he didn't put us there.

I really only care about fiscal conservativism when it comes to politicians. And, I quite like it if they understand what the Constitution means, and why the federal government does not get to legislate every fucking aspect of life.

While I believe in Fiscal Conservatism quite strongly, i also believe that the best government is that government that is closest to the people. As the remoteness of the government increases, access by the common man decreases.

So, education is something that needs to be handled locally. National control or even influence over education is wasteful and counter to efficiency. Please recall that the USA was in the top 2 or 3 in the world in educating its children prior to the death grip exerted by the Federal Government and the national unions.

Now we reside firmly in the mid 20's percentile in results but still at the top in cost.

There are things that are best handled by the Feds and these are spelled out in the enumerated powers. Beyond that, our federal government is a maze of waste and inefficiency.

Why are we sending money to Washington so Washington can send it back to us?

If the main responsibilities of governing our people is kept closer to the people, then the main corruption of our government will be more easily detected. Without concentrating the wealth of the country in Washington the blood suckers that bleed our wealth and corrupt our system will go away.

We will also have 50 approaches to most problems and we can examine the results and pick the best one(s).

Right now we have a monolithic central government that makes the wrong decisions on such a spectacular and expensive scale that we end up with things like Obamacare that are unconstitutional and bankrupting.

I'm sort of confused on that one myself, TC. I know what the word 'conservative' means, but I'm not sure how it compares with the political moniker. I don't see much in the way of consistent ideology flying under the 'conservative' banner. I think it's mostly about hating liberals, whatever 'liberal' means.

Wait, let me add one:

No charge for that one.

I'm trying to think of a country that Obama invaded, occupied, destroyed, spent trillions on and destroyed the lives of thousands of American military families.

Has he been too slow getting out of the horrific shit that Bush got us into? Yes, you bet, absolutely. But he didn't put us there.

A conservative would not have invaded another country without an acto war voted by Congress.

Too slow meaning, of course, that he is doing exactly what Bush left in place for him to do. This pretender has not the experience or creativity to come up with something that is original and will work.

He has abandoned allies in the name of democracy and held out hope to dissidents inspiring them to slaughter before the tanks of despots. One day he announced to a predominantly Jewish audience that the had Israel's back. Less than 24 hours hours later in front of a different crowd, he added but not militarily.

In the Middle East, what the hell does have your back but not militarily mean?

How do you define the toppling to the Libyan regime? Invading the sovereign territory of an ally against its wishes in Pakistan? That's two.

I was hoping that the grand plan of Bush would work out and we might see democracies blossom in the Middle East, but the savages that reside there are on a par with the Europeans in the Dark Ages. As a result of that, it's obvious that every minute we spend trying to help the tribal murderers is time wasted. We need to get out and damn the consequences to the rest of the rag heads.

Clinton had it right and he was gutsy enough to oppose the voices that demanded foreign adveturism.

If we have Cruise missiles, that is the method of attack that we need to use.

Wait, let me add one:

No charge for that one.

So FDR was a conservative?

In the current context of political discourse?

The Founders and the Republic...The Constitution and it's tenants...

Individual Liberty.

Not ceding to groupthink for popular movements of the moment based upon cult of personality or knee-jerk reaction...

LAW guides our action(s) Not Mob Rule...

Pretty simple actually.

Might I add, no one except me has a right to what I earn. They certainly have the right to earn their own, however.

A conservative is one who conserves.

Conserves...what?

In this case? LIBERTY of the individual as ordained by GOD, and Codified by the Founding Fathers.

And there's no need to go farther.

ALWAYS side for Liberty, The Republic, and LAW.

YOU can Never..go wrong.

Wrong. You just defined a selective conservative.

He has defined the VAST majority of conservatives the Nation has ever had.

I am guessing you are one of those freaky liberal Libertarians who think you have the right to define conservative your own way.

I see the world of politics along a spectrum of centralized vs. decentralized control going from Left to Right. At the far Left is totally centrally controlled (dictatorship), and at the far Right is anarchy (no government). As a conservative I am to the right but not all the way to the right (anarchy).

Today in the USA the spectrum is much more narrow than say the two extremes mentioned above, but it does lie somewhere between. I believe that what we call the center today has actually moved further to the left over the past 100 years, and with it the right moved further to the left. For this reason I believe that many conservatives in the larger perspective of things are not very conservative at all. They are right of the left of course, but they aren't exactly conservative either. I don't speak for all "conservatives" though, there are many who agree that the right has fallen into the big government trap as well.

Conserves...what?

In this case? LIBERTY of the individual as ordained by GOD, and Codified by the Founding Fathers.

And there's no need to go farther.

ALWAYS side for Liberty, The Republic, and LAW.

YOU can Never..go wrong.

Wrong. You just defined a selective conservative.

He has defined the VAST majority of conservatives the Nation has ever had.

I am guessing you are one of those freaky liberal Libertarians who think you have the right to define conservative your own way.

YOU would be correct.

REP when recharged coming.

Forum List

Back