What If?

Better, as in drop it it's not worth pursuing?

Most long-term unemployed are at a fairly high risk for depression. The social interaction, routine and activity of having to "work" would be good for them. Plus, it's never wise to remain at home for long periods of time with nothing to show on your resume. Any sort of volunteer work, even if it isn't using your best skills, is better for you prospect-wise.

Just thinking; I ain't married to this idea.

I'm not saying its not worth pursuing, I'm just saying a program of this magnitude would require the States to hire more workers to keep track of the program, keep attendance to make sure all the unemployed are attending etc. from what I hear the States are broke as it is and they are handling more unemployed than they can cope with, I know states like California are swamped dealing with their unemployment, I really think they just don't have the resources to cope with such a program.

Good point. I wonder if they could ask the non-profit community to absorb these costs? After all, these very same organizations would reap the rewards and presumably, save some cash.

Its a possibilty but this would require alot of cooperation between the State and non-profit orgs.

Forum List

Back