What if you became President tomorrow?

I'd merge the US with Canada. I'd call the new country "Canada" and have a big red maple leaf as our flag. And everyone would have to wear beaver hats with tails.

I'd merge the US with Mexico and build a wall along the US/Guatemala-Belize border.

Then, I would be lauded for my quick thinking and effectiveness at solving the illegal immigration issue.

Five minutes after they arrived, I would announce my resignation.

Immie

Which would make Biden the next president, by the way.

Okay, I rescind my resignation, and take Madeline's advice, close the federal government and then resign.

:lol:

And I agree with Xotoxi... anyone would be better than me... anyone except Biden or TDM, that is.

Piss me off, Xotoxi, and I will give the job to TDM as I move to NZ.

Immie

Last edited:
Not to crap all over anyone's wish list, but I did say "president," not "dictator of America."

Wish lists are fun, of course, but IMO it's even more interesting if you can think about what you can get through Congress. If you say that the votes are there, what makes you think so?

1) Oder immediate review of the budget to propose a completely balanced budget for the following year.
2) Issue the proclamation that no legislation involving any entitlement spending will be signed into law by me
3) Issue the proclamation that no bill including earmark spending will be signed into law by me
4) Use any means of persuasion under my power to have congress draft legislation to instill the flat tax system wherein every dollar of income is taxed at the exact same rate for every citizen in the US, no exceptions
5) Use whatever authority I have to use stateside troops to help secure our borders and issue the general order that illegals caught entering this country are not to be assisted, but are to be considered criminals against this country with the goal being to detain and deport. Any illegal resisting with any sort of weaponry are to be considered as an enemy attacking the country, and are to be dealt with with any means necessary to neutralize, including lethal force.
6) Cut off any and all support or trading with Mexico until they assist in improving border security and deterring illegal immigration across their border into the US.
7) Cut off all foreign aide
8) Pull out of the UN
9) Issue the proclamation that any extremist nation (NK, Iran, etc) pursuing nuke weaponry or expansion of nuke programs will be deterred by whatever means necessary, including full scale military attack. There will be no negotiation.

I think that list should keep me quite busy for the start of my presidency

Imagine that tomorrow morning, the Secret Service came knocking at your door. You have been chosen, effective today, to replace Barack Obama as the next POTUS.

(Yes, I'm well aware that this is constitutionally impossible. Just work with me here, okay?)

The agents are there to transport you - and your spouse and kids, if you've got either - to DC to be sworn in that afternoon.

What would your plan be for the next 100 days to put the country on whatever you think is the right track?

Remember, you still have to get the existing Congress to support you.

LOL if I had to work with this congress, I would decline the Job.

Not to crap all over anyone's wish list, but I did say "president," not "dictator of America."

Wish lists are fun, of course, but IMO it's even more interesting if you can think about what you can get through Congress. If you say that the votes are there, what makes you think so?

My list was bringing the issues to the national table for debate. It wasn't unilateral decisions.

1. Close the borders and get those who are in the country already on a path to being legal (let's be real, kicking them all out is not possible)

2. Tear up Obamacare

3. Fire Eric Holder

4. Set a national policy of racism not being acceptable by ANYONE

5. Abolish the Department of Education

6. Tell Afghanistan and Iraq good luck and bring troops home, in fact bring all troops home unless the host nation is willing to pay for their services, at a profit

7. Kick the UN out of New York and refuse to be member

8. Abolish the current income tax in favor of a national sales tax

9. Inform Congress that any and all bills put before me that contain riders or earmarks will be vetoed.

10. Get rid of DADT

11. Get rid of DOMA

12. Reform welfare

13. Eat my first lunch as President

Items 2, 5, 8, and 10-12 would all need congressional approval. Not sure what the UN charter says about eviction...

We can Evict them if we want. The UN did not even want to be where they are. They considered several other locations both here and over seas before moving to their location in NYC. The only reason they went there was because one of the Rockefeller Brothers Donated the Land so they would be in NYC and not go to Philly where they had decided to go.

Personally I would not bother with Evicting the UN. I would simply announce that the USA was willing to stay in the UN and participate in the Debate, However the USA will NO longer be the Major Contributor to the UN budget. The days of us Funding over half an institution that is more often Hostile to us than not needs to end. The Days of us Funding over half an institution that Is almost completely ineffective at its job needs to end. The days of us funding over half an institution that elevates Every 2 Bit despotic dictator on earth to the same level as all other world leaders, and legitimizes them Needs to end.

The only good thing about the UN IMO is the forum it provides for airing International issues out. As far as its programs and actions, I think they are all failures, and folly. By it's design it is destined to never be able to come to a decision on the Real big issues. You can not have all the major players able to Veto any action on their own, and ever expect the Institution to be effective when you really need it. In avoiding a major World War. When the Players likely to be at odds in that war all have veto power it simply can not be effective.

So like I said I would stay in the UN only to participate in the debates and votes on the Floor, I would severely cut or completely cut our financial Contribution to the UN, and I would move to organize a new Institution that excluded countries that did not pass a basic Democracy Test that would be tasked at replacing the UN in the role of Police actions, and relief missions.

Last edited:
Well, this is a fun exercise. Here's just some major pointers (admittedly not President, but Supreme Imperial Majesty of the United State of America).

Defense & Foreign Policy:
- Radically reduce the Pentagon's budget, reallocate to fund local and state police, the National Guard, and the UN Peacekeeping budget.
- Entirely withdraw from Afghanistan and Iraq, save for minor training operations.
- Ban the sale of weapons (including small arms) to all foreign powers and entities; lobby in the United Nations for all other arms producers to do the same.
- Increase foreign aid contribution from 0.1 to the stated promise of 0.7% of GDP; lobby in the UN for all other industrialized nations who aren't already doing so to do the same.
- End all aid to Israel until the establishment of a viable state in Palestine based on 1967 borders.
- Declare a nuclear-free zone in the Middle East and Africa; upgrade negotiations for the 5 official nuclear powers to half all nuclear weapons by 2020.

Domestic Policy:
- Radically increase taxes on the top 1%-5% of income earners to balance the budget or run it to surplus.
- Upgrade civil union privileges to full marriage privileges and recognize gay marriages at the federal level.
- Upgrade R&D spending drastically, along with Education spending increase to 8% of GDP.
- Establish a progressive system of fines and government services, from traffic fines to university tuition fees. The more you make the more you pay.
- End farm subsidies and subsidized ethanol production to combat global food crisis.
- Dramatically shift to nuclear and alternative energy and away from fossil fuels; establish a carbon tax.
- Establish a universal "public option" health insurer, to which all contribute. Private insurers and hospitals can continue to operate.
- Review and reform copyright and patent law to maximize innovation. Ban patents of naturally occurring biological organisms.
- Mandatory background checks and psychological examinations for all who wish to acquire a small arm.

Bleh, that's enough for now.

My list was bringing the issues to the national table for debate. It wasn't unilateral decisions.

Relax, man, I wasn't singling you out. :)

I see a few other posters here who really could be dictator of America, though. Minus the tator, of course.

Relax, man, I wasn't singling you out. :)

I see a few other posters here who really could be dictator of America, though. Minus the tator, of course.

I'm relaxed.

If I got any more relaxed I might not have a pulse.

Imagine that tomorrow morning, the Secret Service came knocking at your door. You have been chosen, effective today, to replace Barack Obama as the next POTUS.

(Yes, I'm well aware that this is constitutionally impossible. Just work with me here, okay?)

The agents are there to transport you - and your spouse and kids, if you've got either - to DC to be sworn in that afternoon.

What would your plan be for the next 100 days to put the country on whatever you think is the right track?

Remember, you still have to get the existing Congress to support you.

I am not exactly sure of the logistics, but would use up all my political capital and push for the following:

- Force banks to write-down their mortgage assets equal to current market values. This would immediately inject money to consumers. Additionally, since banks underwrote this garbage, it's time for them to pay up and take part in the shared sacrifice.
- Abolish (or significantly reduce) farm subsidies and start up the Doha talks again.
- Based on life expectancy statistics, increase the retirement age for Social Security benefits. This is a responsible thing to do, and would end my bid for re-election.

I would be convinced, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that America had gone bat0shit crazy.
Then I would legalize pot for anyone over 18, and tax it at 50%
Temperatures above 70 would require flip-flops and tank tops. Below 70, cowboy boots and tight-fitting jeans.
Bras would be outlawed.

Trust me, you don't want to outlaw bras, as an old lady who's had a lumpectomy, you really don't want to see mine sag, and at different heights to boot. Besides, if I had to run to catch the mailman, I'd be hitting myself in the face....nope, not a good idea.

Get rid of the fed. Bring our troops home and put them on our borders. Any illegals caught are shipped home immediately, all their assets are seized to pay for their expulsion and if there's any left over, it goes into a fund to pay for the expulsion of illegals who don't have enough to pay for their own deportation.

Anyone aiding and abetting illegals is jailed for a minimum of two years, those who hire them are also fined $1,000 per illegal and an additional 2 years for each illegal they hired.

Reduce taxes on those making $100,000 or less. Increase minimum wage. Raise taxes on businesses that move their factories or jobs overseas and give tax breaks to those that bring back our jobs and factories.

Kick the UN out of NY and forget about them, this is America and I would put Americans first and foremost. Immigration would be curtailed until all Americans that want a job have one. Immigrants who do not want to become Americans will be expelled after 10 years unless they are married to an American, or were married to an American for a minimum of 10 years.

Increase the help we provide our disabled. Those on unemployment for one year who can't find work are retrained and allowed 6 months after training to get a job, if they don't, we give them one even if it's picking up trash along the street. Get rid of welfare as we know it, especially when it comes to corporate welfare. Require contracts for corporations getting tax benefits with promises that if they don't produce enough to more than double what they got in tax breaks, they have to return the money.

Families on welfare will not get single dwelling apartments. They will get dormitories, with a common kitchen and classes to teach them everything from shopping to cooking and cleaning. No foodstamps, there will be common meals served 3 times a day and cooked by the residents in rotation. Those that have found paying work do not have to cook but will have a limited time before they have to move out. Some will babysit the children while the others go looking for work, or again, we give them jobs, they can plant trees in parks, sweep sidewalks in the cities, patrol the schools. Read to kids or the blind. Any number of things we can find for them to do.

I'd find someway to fix our schools even if it means tearing them all down and starting over. Smaller schools would be a good way to go. The smaller the schools, the better chances that everyone knows everyone and the worse chance that the kids will misbehave. Back when I was a kid in the mid west, we didn't dare misbehave because our parents sure as heck found out about it and we were punished.

Take classes on foreign affairs because quite frankly, that's my weak spot. I'd have to learn a whole heck of a lot in a small amount of time. I would find advisers, people who are much smarter than me to help.

I'd serve my full four year term and then get out. I wouldn't spend any of that time trying to get re-elected, I'd be paid for 4 years of work and by golly that's what I would give. No one already in any office should be spending time campaigning for another, or for the same one. I'd work towards fixing campaign contributions so that the incumbents don't have all the advantages. I'd also try to make a law that no one can campaign for any office while already serving in office. It interferes with your job. When you are in public office, nothing should interfere with your job.

I would not fly Air Force One on vacation. It's for business trips only. I believe Nixon was our last president to fly the friendly skies outside of Air Force One. If anybody wants to pay me to stay in the Lincoln bedroom, no problem, I take 10% off the top and the rest goes to the people. In fact, I'd have no problems letting people pay to eat at the white house on certain occasions, but again, I'd take 10% and give the rest back to the people. Every little bit help and lord knows our country is in debt.

I'd hold a telethon asking Americans for donations to pay off our debt. Those that donate lots would be right up there on the screen being thanked personally by the President. Yes it's tacky but for gosh sake, have you seen how deep in debt we are, we have to do something and I don't think raising taxes is going to solve anything.

Not sure what else I'd do, but I would get me a dog and a cat. My husband won't let me have them, but heck if I'm President, what's he gonna say about it? :lol:

First thing I'd do is tell someone to tell the White House chef we're having lobster for dinner, lots and lots of lobsters. Then I'd delegate every thing else to the vice president and go tour the world via my new plane.

1. Begin an evaluation of exactly which overseas military installations are necessary to US security.
2. Promote Nuclear reactor plant construction and research into nuclear fusion along with promoting the construction of infrastructure to distribute power from these new facilities. Pay for this program by opening drilling across the United States and taxing revenue from these sites.
3. Close down the ports and borders until proper security measures are in place to guarantee the nation's security.
4. Push to move Federal Entitlements to State oversight and release control of tax sources to the States to support these programs. Let the people at the State level decide if continuing these taxes are worth continuing the programs.
5. Push to move all existing US Territories and Protectorates onto the path towards Statehood, or should they decline to become a State, stepping back relations with those territories and protectorates.
6. Leave the UN. Pursue relations with regional alliances in Africa, South America, etc. The Security Council and General Assembly are a joke anyways. Support the WHO only at the UN.

I would never have to worry about unemployment rates, health insurance, my retirment, my family's well being, a place to live, paying my bills.

I would only need to concentrate on establishing a legacy for myself.

Now...think about THAT one.

I would never have to worry about unemployment rates, health insurance, my retirment, my family's well being, a place to live, paying my bills.

Is your last name "Bush?" :lol:

(I get your point, though, and it's a good one.)

Is your last name "Bush?" :lol:

(I get your point, though, and it's a good one.)

Bush, Obama, and whoever else is next.
The days of Reagan and Clinton are long gone in my eyes.

Forum List

Back