What If The Teaparty Was Black

jillian

Princess
Apr 4, 2006
The Other Side of Paradise
I love Jonathan Capehart.

perhaps someone reading this will see the flip side of the argument... i doubt it, but you never know.

'What if the Tea Party was Black?'
Now that the NAACP has us debating race and racism within the Tea Party movement, this is a perfect opportunity for everyone to do an honest read of an essay by Tim Wise. The official title of Wise’s piece is “Imagine: Protest, Insurgency and the Workings of White Privilege.” But it’s the more popular headline -- “What if the Tea Party was Black” -- that propelled it around the Internet back in April. That’s when I heard about it from my friend Scott Sanders, who had it forwarded to him by his pal, Pulitzer Prize-winning author Toni Morrison.

Matt Bai of the New York Times wrote a thought-provoking piece on Sunday about how when it’s about race, it’s probably about age, too. But race is front-and-center in the heated debate over the NAACP’s justified resolution last week calling on the Tea Party to denounce the racist elements that have glommed onto it. When it comes to some of the signs and some of the actions at some Tea Party rallies and gatherings, race colors what we’re seeing, what we’re hearing and how we’re reacting. And the movement’s legitimate concerns about deficits, spending and the size of government are obscured.

African Americans are so used to the perception gap that it’s the stuff of comedy. Chris Rock delved into the issue in his 2004 HBO special, “Never Scared.” One memorable line goes, “White people sell guns, that's all right. Black rapper *says*, "Guns," congressional hearing!” This isn’t exactly the right analogy, but remember when the rapper Ice T released the song “Cop Killer” in 1992?

PostPartisan - 'What if the Tea Party was Black?'

If The Beatles had been black, the second best selling song of all time would have been " S a y, D u d e ".

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDbHBuqJsTs]YouTube - The Beatles - Hey Jude (HQ Original Promo)[/ame]

:D

perhaps someone reading this will see the flip side of the argument... i doubt it, but you never know.

I've constantly tried to get white boys to see the flip side: How would they like to live in a country with 12% whites, most police are black, most judges are black, most legislatures are black.......and 60% of the prison population is white?

How would they react? Might they develop just a little paranoid racism of their own?

Like you, I doubt they'll relate.:doubt:

'What if the Tea Party was Black?'
Now that the NAACP has us debating race and racism within the Tea Party movement, this is a perfect opportunity for everyone to do an honest read of an essay by Tim Wise. The official title of Wise’s piece is “Imagine: Protest, Insurgency and the Workings of White Privilege.” But it’s the more popular headline -- “What if the Tea Party was Black” -- that propelled it around the Internet back in April. That’s when I heard about it from my friend Scott Sanders, who had it forwarded to him by his pal, Pulitzer Prize-winning author Toni Morrison.

Matt Bai of the New York Times wrote a thought-provoking piece on Sunday about how when it’s about race, it’s probably about age, too. But race is front-and-center in the heated debate over the NAACP’s justified resolution last week calling on the Tea Party to denounce the racist elements that have glommed onto it. When it comes to some of the signs and some of the actions at some Tea Party rallies and gatherings, race colors what we’re seeing, what we’re hearing and how we’re reacting. And the movement’s legitimate concerns about deficits, spending and the size of government are obscured.

African Americans are so used to the perception gap that it’s the stuff of comedy. Chris Rock delved into the issue in his 2004 HBO special, “Never Scared.” One memorable line goes, “White people sell guns, that's all right. Black rapper *says*, "Guns," congressional hearing!” This isn’t exactly the right analogy, but remember when the rapper Ice T released the song “Cop Killer” in 1992?

The American Spectator : America's Ruling Class -- And the Perils of Revolution

an article that explains why there are tea parties happening, if you are interested....

what if obama were white?

:cuckoo:

the left couldn't try to shut down dissent by screaming racism....lol

Based on the things the "right" was slinging during the campaign (i.e., Muslim, terrorist, Kenyan, ******), I personally believe there would be a lot less dissent.

Is anyone else mystified by the article linked? I didnt see anything about what if the tea party was black. I saw some bizarre comparisons to a song by Ice T about killing cops to tea party members. The point of the comparison was lost, however. To my knowledge tea party people have never advocated killing cops. Or anyone else for that matter.
I guess if you take the view that the tea party must be racist then if it were black it would be against white people. Or something like that.:cuckoo:

The quotation I noted was "what if even one third of the vitriol aimed at Obama were aimed by blacks at a white president."
Hello? Anyone remember Pres Bush? Anyone remember Cognac West saying "George Bush doesnt care about black people"? and that was mild. Anyone remember ads insinuating Pres Bush was in favor of lynching?
What are these people smoking? Seriously.

Last edited:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtH7vH4yRcY]YouTube - What if the Tea Party was Black?[/ame]

Is anyone else mystified by the article linked? I didnt see anything about what if the tea party was black. I saw some bizarre comparisons to a song by Ice T about killing cops to tea party members. The point of the comparison was lost, however. To my knowledge tea party people have never advocated killing cops. Or anyone else for that matter.
I guess if you take the view that the tea party must be racist then if it were black it would be against white people. Or something like that.:cuckoo:

The quotation I noted was "what if even one third of the vitriol aimed at Obama were aimed by blacks at a white president."
Hello? Anyone remember Pres Bush? Anyone remember Cognac West saying "George Bush doesnt care about black people"? and that was mild. Anyone remember ads insinuating Pres Bush was in favor of lynching?
What are these people smoking? Seriously.

what if obama were white?

the left couldn't try to shut down dissent by screaming racism....lol

Based on the things the "right" was slinging during the campaign (i.e., Muslim, terrorist, Kenyan, ******), I personally believe there would be a lot less dissent.

The left slings those things more often than we do.
In fact, Muslim, terrorist and Kenyan came directly from the Hillary playbook. And the only racist stuff going on is what the left manages to spread around.

What unadulterated crap.

Only to you because you disagree with it. It makes good points whether you like to admit it or not.

i think it's really interesting that the same people who don't understand why the tea people come off as racist and threatening don't understand the double standard which would be applied if blacks were saying the same thing about a white president.

it would be equally racist. the difference is that everyone would acknowledge the implicit threat.

Forum List

Back