What if the South Won?

They were already coming apart at the seams by the end of the war. They based their entire government on the idea that the individual states are supreme. First time the central government does something a state doesn't like, they would have bolted. Wash, rinse, repeat.

The United States operated under that premise until the Civil War as well, but I see no reason why there would have been an issue. The problems the U.S. had were mostly sectional, between north and south. Their different economies made it difficult to work together. But when they split into two they could work towards their own goals in their own way. The northern confederacy could do what it felt was right, and since most of their interests were the same there'd be little conflict. Same for the south.

Except that the rebels had the exact problem I'm talking about.

Specifics?

Here is a rhetorical question but what if the south won would the issue of slavery be legally settled in favor of the southern slave owners?

This is the conclusion that many big government federalist seem to believe because we are constantly told that state's rights was destroyed with the civil war. Unfortunately this was true but only because it established the federal government superiority by military force and not by the constitution which should be the correct argument since the constitution is the supreme law of the land and not a military campaign.
I thought we amended the constitution to make the federal government more powerful (14th amendment).

Forum List

Back