What if the newly armed teacher shoots the wrong kid? "Oops?"

First, a disclaimer: I am a liberal but I understand the 2nd Amendment is actually part of the Constitution and cannot simply be ignored. Also, I've been a teacher (middle and high schools) and a principal.

Arming teachers won't make schools safer and might make schools more dangerous. Why?

1. Armed "good guys" at Columbine and Ft. Hood did nothing to stop the killings there. Two cases don't make an air-tight case, but they cast doubt on the theory that armed individuals in schools can prevent or significantly lesson such violence.

2. Teachers already have to be educators, psychologists, accountants, statisticians, and designers. They are overburdened by work (at least during the school year) and their jobs are one of the most stressful in the country. Asking them to be guards is too much.

3. Kids will probably get the guns and use them. Adults routinely underestimate students. If a teacher has a gun in the classroom or even on their person, a student will get to it eventually. (Not in every school and not every time, but it will happen.) Between gangs in schools, bullying, and the despair that tends to follow adolescents, gun violence will increase if guns are prevalent in schools.

That said, I could see police officers stationed in all schools. They're trained in security and guns (so it will be much less likely to get stolen or misused compared to a teacher), and they can be a positive role models and resources for the school.

It's a sad fact that, if someone is determined to commit a crime, he/she is likely to commit it. A guy who really wants to break into your house and steal your stuff will probably do that regardless of locked doors, bars on windows, security systems, etc. But such things lower the chances of being robbed, so they're good. It's just means that a robbery can still happen and, if it does, that doesn't mean your precautions are unnecessary.

The same holds true for school shootings. Thankfully, they are very rare. And even if we outlawed all guns, some nutjob would attack a school with an axe. But ... BUT ... that doesn't mean we can't decrease the chances (or the lethality) of such incidents. Making it harder for people to get guns won't stop every psycho just like the security system in your home won't stop every criminal--but it will decrease the likelihood and probably decrease the impact.

What if you fired shots in order to protect your children but only managed to shoot innocent bystanders

Does that still make it okay?

No, it doesn't. However, if you killed the bad guy and prevented him from killing everyone...would that be a good thing? Or a bad thing?

And if you did kill the bad guy but killed one innocent person as you did?

I would never fire a gun at a person because the risk of injuring or killing a bystander is too great.

you would just stand there?? take one to the head,after watching other get the same??

First, a disclaimer: I am a liberal but I understand the 2nd Amendment is actually part of the Constitution and cannot simply be ignored. Also, I've been a teacher (middle and high schools) and a principal.

Arming teachers won't make schools safer and might make schools more dangerous. Why?

1. Armed "good guys" at Columbine and Ft. Hood did nothing to stop the killings there. Two cases don't make an air-tight case, but they cast doubt on the theory that armed individuals in schools can prevent or significantly lesson such violence.

2. Teachers already have to be educators, psychologists, accountants, statisticians, and designers. They are overburdened by work (at least during the school year) and their jobs are one of the most stressful in the country. Asking them to be guards is too much.

3. Kids will probably get the guns and use them. Adults routinely underestimate students. If a teacher has a gun in the classroom or even on their person, a student will get to it eventually. (Not in every school and not every time, but it will happen.) Between gangs in schools, bullying, and the despair that tends to follow adolescents, gun violence will increase if guns are prevalent in schools.

That said, I could see police officers stationed in all schools. They're trained in security and guns (so it will be much less likely to get stolen or misused compared to a teacher), and they can be a positive role models and resources for the school.

It's a sad fact that, if someone is determined to commit a crime, he/she is likely to commit it. A guy who really wants to break into your house and steal your stuff will probably do that regardless of locked doors, bars on windows, security systems, etc. But such things lower the chances of being robbed, so they're good. It's just means that a robbery can still happen and, if it does, that doesn't mean your precautions are unnecessary.

The same holds true for school shootings. Thankfully, they are very rare. And even if we outlawed all guns, some nutjob would attack a school with an axe. But ... BUT ... that doesn't mean we can't decrease the chances (or the lethality) of such incidents. Making it harder for people to get guns won't stop every psycho just like the security system in your home won't stop every criminal--but it will decrease the likelihood and probably decrease the impact.

1. The armed good guy at Columbine actually helped students escape, and exchanged fire with the shooters. If the police hadn't shown up and told him to wait for SWAT he may have accomplished more. There were no armed good guys at Fort Hood before the police arrived, and one of them shit him. As you said, two cases are not proof, but the two you chose seem to weigh more in favor of having guns than not having them.
  2. Teachers in Utah have carried weapons on campus for years, are they more stressed than the teachers in New York that can't carry guns?
  3. Again, teachers in Utah have carried guns for years, are there any negative incidents as a result of this policy?
That said, police are not the answer.

An armed guard at columbine meant nothing. It's not a question of one bad against one armed person. It's the chances of them being in the same side of the fucking building, let alone being JJ the same room. A madman can inflict a lot if harm before cleetus gets to him from the other side of the building.

Not true,they exchanged fire with both perps,taking their attention away from killing kids,and focused on the cops,then they promptly killed themselves,many died more would have if for not the cops with a gun.

Try being honest it is a much better way to live.

It's about prevention. Hopefully the freaking insane cowards that the left seem to coddle won't attack a school where some teachers may be armed.

Forum List

Back