What if Obama nominated Ted Cruz to replace Scalia?

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
Would Cruz accept? Would the Senate confirm him? Just ponder the absurdity of such a scenario.

Last edited:
Think Cruz would give up what he believes is his chance to become president?

I dont'

Think Cruz would give up what he believes is his chance to become president?

I dont'

That's all part of the "pondering". I would guess that under more ordinary circumstances Cruz would kill for a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court. Also, the Senate hates his guts - and would unlikely even confirm a rabid Conservative like him.

Cruz would accept I think, he would be foolish not to. And he would be confirmed.

But he ain't getting nominated, so point is moot.

What if Obama nominated Ted Cruz to replace Scalia?

We'd see rightwing hypocrisy in full bloom – McConnell would schedule a confirmation vote without even bothering with a hearing.

Would Cruz accept? Would the Senate confirm him? Just ponder the absurdity of such a scenario.

First and foremost, hell would have officially frozen over. But I think Cruz would give it some serious thought, as for the Senate, the dems would filibusterer, Cruz would be their worst nightmare.

While we are pondering the silly what do you think the odds are the Democrats would be screaming for Obamas impeachment if he did nominate Cruz for the Supreme Court?

Can a Cuban Canadian citizen be on SCOTUS?

Constitutionally there are only two offices restricted to natural born citizens, President and Vice President.

Either way, it's a win-win fer Obama...

Ted Cruz says he will ‘absolutely’ filibuster Obama’s nominee to replace Scalia
February 14, 2016 - Texas Sen. Ted Cruz is threatening to filibuster any Supreme Court nominee made by President Obama to replace the late Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia.
"This should be a decision for the people,” Cruz said on ABC’s “This Week With George Stephanopoulos” on Sunday. “Let the election decide. If the Democrats want to replace [Scalia], they need to win the election. But I don’t think the American people want a court that will strip our religious liberties. I don’t think the American people want a court that will mandate unlimited abortions on demand, partial-birth abortion with taxpayer funding and no parental notification, and I don’t think the American people want a court that will write the Second Amendment out of the Constitution.”

On Saturday, Obama said he plans “to fulfill my constitutional responsibilities to nominate a successor in due time,” pressing the Senate to “fulfill its responsibility to give that person a fair hearing and a timely vote.” Asked whether he would filibuster Obama’s choice, Cruz said: "Absolutely.” “The Senate’s duty is to advise and consent,” Cruz said on NBC’s “Meet The Press” Sunday. “We’re advising that a lame-duck president in an election year is not going to be able to tip the balance of the Supreme Court.” Scalia, who died suddenly Saturday at the age of 79, was the court’s longest-serving member and an outspoken conservative champion of the Constitution.

His death, Cruz said, will have a “profound impact” on the Republican primary — and that voters ought to think about who the next president would nominate to the land’s highest court. “If Donald Trump becomes president, the Second Amendment will be written out of the Constitution because it is abundantly clear that Donald Trump is not a conservative,” Cruz said. “He will not invest the capital to confirm a conservative, so the result will be the same whether it’s Hillary [Clinton], Bernie [Sanders] or Donald Trump. The Second Amendment will go away.” Cruz added: “Anyone that writes checks to Chuck Schumer and Harry Reid and Jimmy Carter and Hillary Clinton does not care about conservative justices on the court.”

MORE

See also:

If Republicans block Obama’s Supreme Court nomination, he wins anyway
February 13,`16 - Washington Post reporter Robert Barnes explains where the Supreme Court stands after the death of Justice Antonin Scalia and how the vacant seat will impact the presidential election.
After Justice Antonin Scalia’s death Saturday at 79, the Supreme Court is now evenly divided between four liberal justices and four conservatives, even with Anthony Kennedy’s occasional swings. What a moment for Scalia to depart: The court faces a wild array of closely divided decisions. It is an election year. And President Obama has stacked the lower circuit courts with Democrats. Obama has been chewing on his legacy for months. Fate has handed him the opportunity of any presidency — to swing the balance of the Supreme Court from conservative to liberal.

Scalia weighed heavily on the conservative tilt of the current court, registering as more conservative even than other Republican justices in every field except on international and defense issues. There is no other justice whose replacement would more profoundly affect the court’s orientation. The court’s docket this term shows a clear intent to rule on some of the most contentious issues in the society: abortion, unionization, presidential power, affirmative action, political representation. Nothing in the presidential election in the fall matters more than the ability to shape the court. Now everyone should know that, including an incumbent who once taught constitutional law.

imrs.php

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, pictured in a 2004 photo, died Saturday at 79. Now an empty seat on the court favors liberals.​

Any nominee, of course, would have to be confirmed by the Republican-controlled Senate. Leaders there, and also most GOP presidential candidates, are already making clear that they intend to block Obama. But they may not realize that leaving Scalia’s seat vacant plays right into his hands.

The court is not yet halfway through the 80 or 90 cases it deals with each term, but many of the most contentious have already been heard. Normally, justices meet the week a case is argued, and vote on the outcome. So they have most likely already voted on pending cases on apportionment and affirmative action, for example. But weeks or months can go by while the justice assigned the opinion circulates drafts. Any justice can change his or her vote at any point during that process, and often does. It’s all very hush-hush, so there is no way to tell how far along the cases Scalia heard are in the pipeline.

MORE

What if O'bama nominated ----- Hillary Clinton?

Wouldn't that be interesting... :eusa_think:

Or alternately, Bernie. Get to work on CU...

Forum List

Back