What if Newt wins South Carolina?

gingrich isn't reagan. people liked reagan.

people hate gingrich.

I have to assume you are too young to have been around in the 1980's.

There was hatred toward Reagan from the left that was unimaginable. Nobody has ever claimed that Gingrich is going to blow up the world, but that was a common complaint against Reagan. We were all goign to die because Reagan wasn't going to surrender to the USSR.

And he wanted poor people to die.

Jesus, I'm getting old.

I think a Newt Win will have the following effects-

First and foremost, it will make him the only "Not Romney" standing. Santorum will figure he's made his point and he's had his fun. I never thought Santorum was running for anything other than redemption, and having made it this far, outlasting Perry, Bachmann, Cain and Pawlenty. He's got that now, he can go back to Fox News and demand a lot more money as an analyst.

So what you have in the GOP race is about 30% who have bought into Romney and the 70% who would really like someone else. Discounting the 12% who want Ron Paul, that still leaves Gingirch with about 58% of the GOP electorate to work with.

The other end result is that Romney has FINALLY gotten the scrutiny he should have gotten three months ago about his business dealings, what his real positions are and his whackadoo religion. When you get past the platitudes about "electablity" and "inevitability", what you have is a candidate who is personally very unappealling, isn't in sync with where most Republicans are, has no empathy with real Americans and their worries and belongs to a religion that is just plain strange.

Again, this should have happened three months ago, but the MSM avoided talking about it, but they can't keep pushing it off. They had every intent of talking about it in the general, but it's all coming up now because Newt brought these things to the table. (Except the Mormon thing.)

I agree completely.

Are you a professional political operative?

people hate gingrich.

There was hatred toward Reagan from the left that was unimaginable. Nobody has ever claimed that Gingrich is going to blow up the world, but that was a common complaint against Reagan. We were all goign to die because Reagan wasn't going to surrender to the USSR.

Jesus, I'm getting old.

no. i was around but not voting yet. i can't stand reagan. but reagan was better than the pretend reagan made up by the current crop of republicans.

newtie has a 60% unfavorable rating.

people hate gingrich.

Jesus, I'm getting old.

I remember Ronnie Reagan back in the 80s and Newt, sir, is no Ronnie Reagan.

And I think you know that, too....

I think it is hialrious that the Party of Morals is clinging to the Master of Immorals as their "anyone but Mitt" alternative. It makes me crack up laughing!

The Dems at the WH must be rolling in the isles. I heard this morning that even the Tea Party moralists are lining up behind Newt. He is soon to be known as the Champion Snake Oil Salesman of all time!

GO NEWT!

:lol::lol::clap2::clap2::eusa_pray::eusa_pray:clap2::clap2:

Again, maybe I'm getting old, but I remember liberals in 1980 saying, "Please Nominate Ronald Reagan and not George Bush, because Bush is electable and Reagan is so far off to the right he can't ever get elected. "

Need a reminder of how that turned out for you?

I think you also miss the whole point of "morals". We know people aren't perfect. We know marriages fail. Sorry, they just do, sometimes. Nobody really faulted John Kerry for his ex-wife. Or John McCain. They traded up.

The libtards doing all this fake laughing stuff is so shallow and transparent.

It shows how stupid they think the GOP is that they really believe that Republicans will take advice from their political rivals....

Well, OK, the Dems do have a point, BUT that doesnt mean Ropmney is really a more competitive candidate than Gingrich. Gingrich will activate the base while Romney will put them to sleep and staying home onelection night in droves.

people hate gingrich.

Jesus, I'm getting old.

:lol:
Yeah... I was a teenager living the home of a Democrat union member :eek:

Holy shit my dad did not like him AT ALL.... I myself never understood it.

I was a christian and thought Reagan was a great man, even back then, I loved him as I do now.

Note:
My dad now sees the error of his ways

Last edited:
I think a Newt Win will have the following effects-

First and foremost, it will make him the only "Not Romney" standing. Santorum will figure he's made his point and he's had his fun. I never thought Santorum was running for anything other than redemption, and having made it this far, outlasting Perry, Bachmann, Cain and Pawlenty. He's got that now, he can go back to Fox News and demand a lot more money as an analyst.

So what you have in the GOP race is about 30% who have bought into Romney and the 70% who would really like someone else. Discounting the 12% who want Ron Paul, that still leaves Gingirch with about 58% of the GOP electorate to work with.

The other end result is that Romney has FINALLY gotten the scrutiny he should have gotten three months ago about his business dealings, what his real positions are and his whackadoo religion. When you get past the platitudes about "electablity" and "inevitability", what you have is a candidate who is personally very unappealling, isn't in sync with where most Republicans are, has no empathy with real Americans and their worries and belongs to a religion that is just plain strange.

Again, this should have happened three months ago, but the MSM avoided talking about it, but they can't keep pushing it off. They had every intent of talking about it in the general, but it's all coming up now because Newt brought these things to the table. (Except the Mormon thing.)

I agree completely.

Are you a professional political operative?

Nope. Just someone who treats this as a really aggressive hobby.

Also, this is my ninth Presidential election. I've seen variations on these scenarios enough times to see the patterns.

Again, I'm getting old.

:lol:
Yeah... I was a teenager living the home of a Democrat union member :eek:

Holy shit my dad did not like him AT ALL.... I myself never understood it.

I was a christian and thought Reagan was a great man, even back then, I loved him as I do now.

I think Reagan was a great man, but he made mistakes. But who amongst us haven't? I think his presidency marked the division between working folks and the GOP. I don't think that was his intent, but I think that was the end result.

My late father (WWII vet, union sheet metal guy) was one of the last people who thought Nixon was a great man when the rest of the country had turned on him. He was a bit suspicious of Reagan, but still voted for him. I was an 18 year old kid with the enthusiasm of youth. Now I have the cynicism of a fifty-something.

Please nominate Newt Gingrich.

Democrats in 1980...

"Please nominate Ronald Reagan."

Whoops.

You're forgetting what a Terrible year 1980 was. And how badly carter screwed up in one year.

And 2012 is a wonderful year? Seriously?

I'm hoping that it will be less of a clusterfuck than 2011. Or 2010. Or 2009. Or 2008. But I'm not counting on it.

Hey, I'm honest. if the economy makes gains this year, Obama will probably get a second term, even though he really doesn't deserve one.

And if things get worse, as many flaws as both Newt and Mitt have, they will probably beat him, pretty easily.

Thus my dilema. I want the country to get better. Even if it doesn't benefit my party. I'm an American before I'm a Republican.

But even being a Republican, I really dislike just about every aspect of Mitt Romney. The man disgusts me on a visceral level.

So there aren't a lot of options where I'm going to be happy at the end of the day.

A win here in SC for Newt means now a step closer to a win for Obama, which I believe is what Joe wants.

A win here in SC for Newt means now a step closer to a win for Obama, which I believe is what Joe wants.

I want Romney to lose. How that happens is irrelevent to me.

I'd rather have Gingrich beat him than Obama beat him. At least then the GOP will kind of get it that Plutocracy isn't America's future.

Obama in the RCP today is 11 points ahead of Newt. It will only grow.

I was right: you are an atheist, secular leftist plant.

I'd rather have Gingrich beat him than Obama beat him. At least then the GOP will kind of get it that Plutocracy isn't America's future.

That should be Obama's re-election slogan.

Plutocracy isn't America's future.

don't blame him on the left.

don't blame him on the left.

Jillian, cross my heart and hope to die, JoeB is your side's very own XX version of Maxwell Smart sicced onto the GOP. Heaven help us.

That should be Obama's re-election slogan.

Plutocracy isn't America's future.

He'd better pay me royalties, then.... :lol:

But thanks to public education, I doubt most Democratic voters know what the word means. They probabaly think it means rule by Mickey Mouse's dog.

clippluto3.gif

Again, maybe I'm getting old, but I remember liberals in 1980 saying, "Please Nominate Ronald Reagan and not George Bush, because Bush is electable and Reagan is so far off to the right he can't ever get elected. "

Need a reminder of how that turned out for you?

I think you also miss the whole point of "morals". We know people aren't perfect. We know marriages fail. Sorry, they just do, sometimes. Nobody really faulted John Kerry for his ex-wife. Or John McCain. They traded up.

The Republicans already tried running a RINO against Obama, and look how that turned out for them. Why would anyone vote for a me-too liberal when they can have the genuine article? When true conservatism is on the ballot, it wins.
And remember McCain was terrified of Obama...wouldn't even say his full name...

New Topics

Forum List

Back