"What if it's Beck with a tax 'accident'?"

I don't watch Beck nor do i watch or listen to any of the talking heads. But I have an opinion, for what it's worth. If you make the kind of money all these guys make, then you have no excuse to be mistaken or have a tax accident. You have plenty of cash to hire a competent tax accountant. Simple as that. I have done my own taxes for my entire life. But mine have never been all that difficult. Nor have I ever had more than a 5 figure income. Basically if you have that kind of money and have tax problems, then that's your problem, fix it or face the consequences.

Taxes for people in Beck's situation are incredibly complex. Heck, even taxes for the mid 5 figure income can get really complex.

Beck seems to run his affairs through two corporations, but since his income is where it is, he also is subject to AMT. Also, some of this seems to include sales tax issues.

At this level, a team of accountants is mandatory. Which amounts to a whole other tax anyway.

My whole take on anyone's tax situation is taxes need to be lower and simpler.

It looks like multiple states were involved. Pretty tough to find a person fluent in federal and multi-state tax law.

Taxes for people in Beck's situation are incredibly complex. Heck, even taxes for the mid 5 figure income can get really complex.

Beck seems to run his affairs through two corporations, but since his income is where it is, he also is subject to AMT. Also, some of this seems to include sales tax issues.

At this level, a team of accountants is mandatory. Which amounts to a whole other tax anyway.

My whole take on anyone's tax situation is taxes need to be lower and simpler.

Agreed. WHEN TAXATION is so complicated that even the Secretary of the Treasury cannot comply with it, the conclusion is inescapable. It has to be changed.

I don't watch Beck nor do i watch or listen to any of the talking heads. But I have an opinion, for what it's worth. If you make the kind of money all these guys make, then you have no excuse to be mistaken or have a tax accident. You have plenty of cash to hire a competent tax accountant. Simple as that. I have done my own taxes for my entire life. But mine have never been all that difficult. Nor have I ever had more than a 5 figure income. Basically if you have that kind of money and have tax problems, then that's your problem, fix it or face the consequences.

Not to worry.. If you ever do have an "accident" just Write "apply the Rangel rule." In big block letters and send it back..

Get back to me when he holds or is nominated for public office.
Like Sarah Palin? She was also a tax cheat, under the narrow definition that the rightwingers like to employ against Dems.

:eek:

Nonsense. As the freaking Governor, she took official trips, but was deemed to have done so for purposes (or partly so) other than government duties. Thus, it was determined that she would have to reimburse the State (and she agreed to it) and, further;

to the extent it then got included as INCOME for a couple of preceding years (which makes damn little sense if she was paying it back, frankly), she was called upon to amend those prior tax returns to include that "unreported" income.

If you seriously wish to argue that this somehow makes her a "tax cheat," you are free to try.

But it's an absurd argument.

Last edited:
Time to trot out "Boncher's Maxim"... again.

"Everyone's a hypocrite. The question is one of subject and scale."

By the way, the article is asinine. Not even intelligible ambush journalism.

Why not have one that investigates "WHAT IF Randi Rhodes is a transvestite, tapir-loving, obese, nun who likes tapioca???"

Stupid enough that I'd suspect Berkley Breathed put it as an article in the Bloom County Picayune.

Beck as a citizen of the U.S. should be subjected to the same repercussions as those who preceded him. Congratulations Treasury Secretary Beck. Looking forward to seeing your signature on my worthless hundred dollar bills.

I don't know about you but I want my elected officials held to a higher standard. Hell, I'm up for mandatory civics and economics testing for em all.

Well, what a surprise. Left is still trying to go after Beck. But now all they have left is hypotheticals.

Maybe one of these days, people will actually listen to guys like Glenn and simplify the tax code. That way its pretty darn obvious what everyone has to pay.

The problem here is that geitner was apparently uninterested in paying anything until he was offered a cabinet apointment. Ditto most of the others.

Beck was not available for comment, and Mercury’s president, Chris Balfe, declined a requested interview. But a source with knowledge of the situation said that Mercury’s tax issues were minor, stemmed from bureaucratic confusion and were rectified quickly once the company learned of them. Read more: What if it's Beck with a tax 'accident'? - Kenneth P. Vogel - POLITICO.com

Quickly was not apparently a priority for any of the Obama crowd.

Forum List

Back