What , if any, religion do you adhere to?

Religion?

• Judaism

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Christian (Biblical)

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Catholic

• Protestant/ Lutheran/ Resotrianism/ other Christian

• Hinduism

• Buddhism / Toaism/ similar (specify)

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Islam (specify sekt)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • None (Atheist; gnostic or agnostic)

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Shinto

• Other (;specify)

• Total voters
Damn...those poor pagans/Wiccans always getting left out. :tongue:

I consider myself a Christian, but I do not attend church. Actually haven't regularly for nearly 7 years now.

One guy, my old youth minister, decided to bitch us out one day over drinking IBC Root Beer in glass bottles. Because it looks like a beer bottle and "as Christians we must abstain from even the appearance of evil." :eusa_eh:

What? That's like something you'd see on Moral Orel :lol:

What? That's like something you'd see on Moral Orel :lol:

OH MY GOD! How could I have forgotten? :eek:

I know this one particularly self-righteous prick, a guy 18 years old I think, who is ALWAYS copping a holier-than-thou attitude and giving this long, drawn-out Bible-thumping lecture to anyone who says something that offends him. Needless to say, I refer to him now as Moral Orel. :lol:

Damn...those poor pagans/Wiccans always getting left out. :tongue:

I consider myself a Christian, but I do not attend church. Actually haven't regularly for nearly 7 years now.

It became obvious to me pretty quickly that most churches are, unfortunately, full of do-gooders and hypocrites. I had to deal with far too many a person who was judgmental and arrogant toward "unbelievers", and seemed to be highly selective in who "deserved" to hear the Gospel.

One guy, my old youth minister, decided to bitch us out one day over drinking IBC Root Beer in glass bottles. Because it looks like a beer bottle and "as Christians we must abstain from even the appearance of evil." :eusa_eh:

Everywhere I went, I'd run into legalistic, fundamentalist nutcases. Typically, they'd be a family with 10 children, drive a very large van with "Ichthus" stickers, and the females of the family would wear denim dresses, no jeans or shorts allowed. I'd visit these people at home, where it would always follow a pattern: the mother never has a job (mothers who get jobs are evil for leaving their children), cable/satellite TV is evil, so just rabbit ears on an *old* tube TV, which was next to an even older computer that always had dial-up internet (if it had internet at all.) The males of the family were all rednecks whose gun collection was almost as large as their Toby Keith/Alan Jackson/David Allen Coe/Kenny Chesney/George Straight collection. I'd see this everywhere.

Now that I've left church behind, I definitely think it was the best thing I've ever done for my faith. Maybe I was just attending the wrong churches, but it doesn't matter to me now.

As funny as this post is, it is a little condescending. I have met plenty of Christians who are not gun-totin' redneck techno-phobes who see evil around every corner and keep their women from learnin' book smarts in order to keep them in line.

Just like many of us non-believers won't be found sport fucking at the local orgy on Saturday night.

The sooner we stop putting each others differences down with stupid stereotypes the sooner we can start focusing on the real problem - rich power whores hiding behind corporate lawyers and a bought and paid for government.

Shame on you for generalizing like that!

-Joe

Skynet is my god ... and it shall rain upon us the destruction of the nuclear bomb ... and it's angels shall pour forth and cleans the earth of the virus that is humanity!

So it is written, so shall it be.

Why are Buddhism and Taoism considered interchangeable by the OP?

Because you're an idiot who can't figure out that I only had 10 slots and had to grou[p things as best I could

Actually, Sky, Buddhism was brought to China by Siddhartha (Buddha), where it mixed with Zen, and Tao is the offshoot that came out of Buddhism and Zen combining.

Perfectly acceptable to group those 2 together.

If you're referring to the Christian Heresy of Gnosticism, thay would fall under 'Other 'Christian''

Then what meaning does "gnostic" possess that renders it similar to atheism or agnosticism?

atheism and agnosticism rerfers to two different questions

theism: belief iin deity
atheism: non-belief in deity
\gnosticism": claiming ultimate knowledge
agnosticism: not claiming ultimate knowledge

Examples:

JB is an agnostic atheist

Gnosticism (capitalization uis important!): refers mostly a set of Christian heresies, though there is a bit more to where they came from

huh? :eusa_eh: I do not understand the question.

Why is "gnostic" in the category of "none" with "atheist" and "agnostic"?

dude, atheism to clarify none, and the semi-colon separates the explanation of none from the further clarification that the option is meant for both gnostic and agnostic atheists.

atheist; gonstic or agnostic = atheism, be it gnostic or agnostic in nature. hence the semicolon and not a comma

Generically Christian (Seventh-Day Adventist), but thinking of changing to Catholicism.

wtf?o.0 How do you 'choose to change to catholocism'? isn't the point to follow the 'word of god', and to attend the church that does so- not to pick the one you like best?

One must review their beliefs and choose the religion which they believe in, this would include the Church one goes to. Fellowship is part of Christian belief, why would you congreate with people you did not feel where following the word of God? As in why belong to a Church you no longer think is the correct one?

This is an ever evolving process as you learn and grow in your faith.

ALL churches are man made and run by man. NONE are going to be perfect. The only perfect church is the one God establishes and he is not currently establishing anything on earth, that will come before the final battle.

I agree with what you've said in general, however I believe that establishment has happened, that God speaks to men again on the earth and that He has restored His Church, His Authority and His Gospel, preparatory to the Second Coming of Christ. I am confident that this is true because He has answered my prayers as I have studied and prayed to know whether the church I now belong to is indeed all they claim to be. Even so, while the church and church organization is perfect and of God, people in that church are not perfect, despite their best efforts. Like you said, it is an evolving process.

Not sure what Janusism is JB. Never heard of it actually.

By the way, the gnostics (according to archaeology), were the keepers of the "secret" wisdom Yeshua taught.

Their books were removed out of the Bible by the Catholics, as those books were thought too "dangerous" for the common person to read.

Jainism

I don't recall where exactly, but I thought the bible said clearly that while Jesus spoke to the masse sin parables, his disciples were told thing in plain language and given knowledge that the general populace was not?

If I recall, the Gnostics claimed to trace their roots back to those disciples,

As funny as this post is, it is a little condescending. I have met plenty of Christians who are not gun-totin' redneck techno-phobes who see evil around every corner and keep their women from learnin' book smarts in order to keep them in line.

Just like many of us non-believers won't be found sport fucking at the local orgy on Saturday night.

The sooner we stop putting each others differences down with stupid stereotypes the sooner we can start focusing on the real problem - rich power whores hiding behind corporate lawyers and a bought and paid for government.

Shame on you for generalizing like that!

-Joe

Hey now, please note that I consider myself a Christian as well. My intent was not to stereotype, as I was speaking from experience about what I have actually seen for myself. Over and over.

I agree with your last point wholeheartedly.

You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Steve, that post is first on my 'to do' list for USMB :lol:

Steve thanks you for your kindness. Perhaps you might recieve a free MacBook Pro as a token of my gratitude. :cool:

Forum List

Back