What , if any, religion do you adhere to?

Religion?

• Judaism

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Christian (Biblical)

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Catholic

• Protestant/ Lutheran/ Resotrianism/ other Christian

• Hinduism

• Buddhism / Toaism/ similar (specify)

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Islam (specify sekt)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • None (Atheist; gnostic or agnostic)

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Shinto

• Other (;specify)

• Total voters
It really does. For example, trying to justify Old testament laws, morality, and commandments is quite difficult if it is divinely ordered. However, if we understand it as the emergence of law like any other, merely reinforced with its own myths (much like modern-day America has it legends and myths regarding Thanksgiving Day and whitewashes the hell out of Columbus), it all makes perfect sense

On the other hand, trying to justify anything that is truly ordered by a God is moot to the point of being dangerous... Non-Catholics beware! (Assuming the Catholics really were The Church the last time we heard directly from God)

-Joe

You are simply trying to get people to not believe
:eusa_eh: I just asked a simple question to see what the stats are and then asked a question of a single member.

, you are using this as an excuse to "preach" your belief in no god

Actually, i asked a member a question, as his statement implied a thought process and course of actions that directly contradicts the premise of the religion with which he identifies. It's klida like someone saying they're GOP but they wan to nationalize the auto industry ;)

Now stop crying

1)Well, I do find it interesting that two people have selected 'Protestant/ Lutheran/ Restotrianism/ other Christian ' yet noone has yet identified themselves as ACTUAL CHRISTIANS WHO FOLLOW THE BIBLICAL TEACHINGS o.0 :confused::confused: Do they not realize that this would mean they follow the words of men and not of god, per the biblical teachings and that they therefore follow satan?

This simply reinforces my statement that 'It seems that most neochristians merely pick and choose what they like and build a custom religion '

I expected to learn some statistics, but we have been treated to a little insight on just how religious minds work. of course, they might try to vote for biblical now, just to try to support their attempts turn this into an attack on me (as they are already attempting to do), but much has already been learned

2)As improbable as it is that all of a certain major religion (especially the Abrahamic religions) would ever beliei e he same thing, practice the same rituals, or worship the same god- if such were the case, it would certainly strengthen their claims to get their commandments from an all-powerful deity instead of being the creations of Man.

an assertion that raises many questions when forwarded

but from the perspective of faith being ours to design as the times demand, it fits the historical evidence and it works... Hell, it worked great for societal governments too, until all the dirt had a well-defended flag.

It really does. For example, trying to justify Old testament laws, morality, and commandments is quite difficult if it is divinely ordered. However, if we understand it as the emergence of law like any other, merely reinforced with its own myths (much like modern-day America has it legends and myths regarding Thanksgiving Day and whitewashes the hell out of Columbus), it all makes perfect sense

Either that or our history really is the plan of a sentient God... if that's the case, the joke is on us.

That would make me question the moral fiber and nature of such a deity

PREACHING again and making HUGE assed ASSUMPTIONS.

I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. It is a Christian church but is most definitely not Catholic. Thus Other. Of all the Churches and religions I am aware of it is the closest to what God preaches in the Bible through men.

Which each person that believes in a higher being, a God has to decide for themselves. And since we are not born KNOWING the right path, we have to learn it, which would include possibly changing religions and or denominations or Churches as we learned what WE belief God wants and tells us to do.

FAILURE to think, FAILURE to ACT, will be no excuse at Judgement Day. One can not just accept what other men say without prayer, thoughtful reflection and learning what one believes the Bible teaches. That may include , as you learn, changing from one church or religion to another. As you gain knowledge and become closer to God through prayer and reflection and learning.

I was raised in a Baptist Church, went to summer Bible school for several years in my youth. As a teen I belonged to no Church and by the time I was 21 I was praying and reflecting on what to do, what church or religion to accept as the correct one.

Through prayer and learning I CHOSE the Mormon Church. And while I do not attend for a number of reasons, Paranoia in large crowds being one of them, I have over the years had the missionaries visit when they could and have tried to get a home teacher on several occasions.

The Mormon Church is the True Church of God, in my opinion. Based on my reflection , prayer, learning and growing over the last 30 years. I have found no other Church that makes me believe otherwise.

And your attempts to belittle that or make me question my belief will not change that in any way.

I have found another church that tries to reach God's glory and it is close but not quite there. Jehovah Witnesses.

Personally I believe as we get closer to the end those Churches that are sincere in their efforts will grow closer to being what God wants and those that are false will become more obviously so.

The Catholic Church is a colossal failure. Any Church that Ordains a practicing Homosexual is not doing God's work either. All the Priests and Preachers that have studied and learned the Bible that claim people are going to Heaven when they die are either fools, liars or blind to what the Bible teaches.

I believe some do it to attract members, they know it is not true but also think if they sell the after life as being as soon as one dies, they will be better received by those they are enticing to join.

Only 144000 will go to Heaven and then only after Judgement Day, the rest that are raised and given new bodies and found to be believers will live out the "after life" on a Paradise Earth with no sickness or disease and with Jesus as their King serving God.

:eusa_eh: I just asked a simple question to see what the stats are and then asked a question of a single member.

Actually, i asked a member a question, as his statement implied a thought process and course of actions that directly contradicts the premise of the religion with which he identifies. It's klida like someone saying they're GOP but they wan to nationalize the auto industry ;)

Now stop crying

1)Well, I do find it interesting that two people have selected 'Protestant/ Lutheran/ Restotrianism/ other Christian ' yet noone has yet identified themselves as ACTUAL CHRISTIANS WHO FOLLOW THE BIBLICAL TEACHINGS o.0 :confused::confused: Do they not realize that this would mean they follow the words of men and not of god, per the biblical teachings and that they therefore follow satan?

This simply reinforces my statement that 'It seems that most neochristians merely pick and choose what they like and build a custom religion '

I expected to learn some statistics, but we have been treated to a little insight on just how religious minds work. of course, they might try to vote for biblical now, just to try to support their attempts turn this into an attack on me (as they are already attempting to do), but much has already been learned

2)As improbable as it is that all of a certain major religion (especially the Abrahamic religions) would ever beliei e he same thing, practice the same rituals, or worship the same god- if such were the case, it would certainly strengthen their claims to get their commandments from an all-powerful deity instead of being the creations of Man.

Either that or our history really is the plan of a sentient God... if that's the case, the joke is on us.

I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. It is a Christian church but is most definitely not Catholic. Thus Other. Of all the Churches and religions I am aware of it is the closest to what God preaches in the Bible through men.

Which each person that believes in a higher being, a God has to decide for themselves. And since we are not born KNOWING the right path, we have to learn it, which would include possibly changing religions and or denominations or Churches as we learned what WE belief God wants and tells us to do.

FAILURE to think, FAILURE to ACT, will be no excuse at Judgement Day. One can not just accept what other men say without prayer, thoughtful reflection and learning what one believes the Bible teaches. That may include , as you learn, changing from one church or religion to another. As you gain knowledge and become closer to God through prayer and reflection and learning.

I was raised in a Baptist Church, went to summer Bible school for several years in my youth. As a teen I belonged to no Church and by the time I was 21 I was praying and reflecting on what to do, what church or religion to accept as the correct one.

Through prayer and learning I CHOSE the Mormon Church. And while I do not attend for a number of reasons, Paranoia in large crowds being one of them, I have over the years had the missionaries visit when they could and have tried to get a home teacher on several occasions.

The Mormon Church is the True Church of God, in my opinion. Based on my reflection , prayer, learning and growing over the last 30 years. I have found no other Church that makes me believe otherwise.

And your attempts to belittle that or make me question my belief will not change that in any way.

I have found another church that tries to reach God's glory and it is close but not quite there. Jehovah Witnesses.

Personally I believe as we get closer to the end those Churches that are sincere in their efforts will grow closer to being what God wants and those that are false will become more obviously so.

The Catholic Church is a colossal failure. Any Church that Ordains a practicing Homosexual is not doing God's work either. All the Priests and Preachers that have studied and learned the Bible that claim people are going to Heaven when they die are either fools, liars or blind to what the Bible teaches.

I believe some do it to attract members, they know it is not true but also think if they sell the after life as being as soon as one dies, they will be better received by those they are enticing to join.

Only 144000 will go to Heaven and then only after Judgement Day, the rest that are raised and given new bodies and found to be believers will live out the "after life" on a Paradise Earth with no sickness or disease and with Jesus as their King serving God.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd. Indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
-Bertrand Russell

You get what I mean, if a Priest questioned you on your beliefs.

They've tried. they always end up looking stupid and declaring me a servant of the devil before going back to wallow in delusion and pray to their magical sky daddy :rolleyes:

, you are using this as an excuse to "preach" your belief in no god

Now stop crying

but from the perspective of faith being ours to design as the times demand, it fits the historical evidence and it works... Hell, it worked great for societal governments too, until all the dirt had a well-defended flag.

Now stop crying

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd. Indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
-Bertrand Russell

That is the best case against gravity I have heard in a while.

On the other hand, trying to justify anything that is truly ordered by a God is moot to the point of being dangerous... Non-Catholics beware! (Assuming the Catholics really were The Church the last time we heard directly from God)

-Joe

If something truly came from deity, and it could be shown to be so, then that would be the end of the discussion as to whether it were 'true'. Hence the use of pseudoscience by many of the religious and the rejection scientific facts opr models that do not fit their worldview.

PREACHING again

*yawn*Back to the religious paining the non-religious as religious loons... :rolleyes:

and making HUGE assed ASSUMPTIONS.
:eusa_eh:
I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. It is a Christian church but is most definitely not Catholic

1) You belong to them?
2)I never said you were a catholic

Thus Other. Of all the Churches and religions I am aware of it is the closest to what God preaches in the Bible through men.

Then the two golden tables were from god? The Book of Mormon in it's last form is divinely inspired? Then that makes it a holy book, to be included in the holy library- hence it would be part of the canon the Holy Bble that you accept. Yet you do not identify as a christian who follows the biblical teachings off god, but as the property of a specific cult or sect?:eusa_eh: Newsflash: If you accept the judeochritoislamic god, then you have two ioptions God and his word or satan. Since you don't identify with the former, that means that, per the ideology you claim to adhere to, you follow Satan.
That may include , as you learn, changing from one church or religion to another. As you gain knowledge and become closer to God through prayer and reflection and learning.

Again, that is not 'I'm thinking of changing to X' but 'though recently, the Holy Spirit has shown me that I might learn from the X tradition' or 'I used to believe Y, but trough reflection and contemplation of His word, I have come to realize X'
Through prayer and learning I CHOSE the Mormon Church.

-Because you liked it. Again, your words are revealing. You did not say 'I was led to the mormon Church' or 'I began to attend and affiliate- or chose to associate- with LDS because the spirit showed me that they are the true followers of god's word'- you chose them because you like it for whatever your reasons might have been (pretty dames, the polygamy of the fundamentalists, Eden in America, whatever).

Your words reveal much about your thought processes.

scapulars, indulgences, sacrifice of the mass... look into the anathemas they hav against those who believe jesus is the only way to salvation, and against those who believe in salvation through faith

That is the best case against gravity I have heard in a while.

You are a fool. Gravity is an observed fact. It is the cause/mechanisms of gravity that are referred to as the various 'Theories of Gravity'

Christian(Biblical), Catholic, and Protestant.

You could have listed more if you just said "Christian" instead of given three branches!!

Can I name two more?
Jainist, Zorastrain,

Christian(Biblical), Catholic, and Protestant.

You could have listed more if you just said "Christian" instead of given three branches!!

Can I name two more?
Jainist, Zorastrain,

Catholics are not Christians, as the teachings of the Catholic church directly contradict biblical word

Also, I wanted to see whether people identify with the bible and 'god's word' or with the teachings og the men who founded their sects. We have our answer, and it is clearly the latter is the vast majority of cases

Jainism and Zoroastrianism were not listed, in part, because this board is predominantly American. I listed the most common religions in the US for that reason

I have no idea on earth how you came to that conclusion.

Hey, but if it makes you happy, run with it.

as for you, kalam. I thought you once said you weren't actually a muslim, but you drew from muslim teachings>
I've probably said that some other Muslims may not consider me a Muslim because of my heterodox beliefs... but those beliefs are in line with the Qur'an and I accept the basic creed of Islam.

Best description of my belief system? A Christian Taoist who studies Judaic Theology. Or, if you prefer, a Taoist B'neih Noach.

And, what one poster said earlier is what I believe. You should have around 3 different theologies that you follow, because that way, it's easier to find God via triangulation (spiritually).

I also like what His Holiness The Dali Lama said once when asked how many different theologies there should be?

His response was to say that there should be as many religions as there are people on the face of this earth, because, we all understand God in a slightly different way than our neighbors, friends, and family.

Growing up, I was raised by several families (long story), and from the age of 5 through the age of 16, I was beaten repeatedly over the head with a Bible, being told that the current family I was with had the "One True Way to God", and that I should change my views and beliefs to match whoever was in charge, or else I would be going to hell.

Pretty heavy stuff for a kid.

So.........until I was around 30, I was very anti-Christian, and would tell you so, but, in 1994 I met a dude named Jim who introduced me to Taoism, and that has been my basis for a belief system ever since. In 1998, I no longer hated Christians, and around 5 years ago, I started to study Judaic theology, which incidentally, happens to be VERY similar to Tao.

Now, with Tao as my compass, and Judaism as my map, I can pretty much figure out where a lot of Christians get it wrong, because their Bible is a translation of a translation of a translation of a translation, which at the Nieceine council, was HEAVILY edited.

I don't trust Catholics either. Yeshua (Jesus) was born in fall (more likely around October), and was crucified shortly after Passover, which is why He was in Jerusalem in the first place. Now........when Rome sacked Jerusalem, they took their religion, made some additions and changes (Yeshua was now crucified on the Spring Solstice, and was determined to have been born around the Winter Solstice), and we now have Christianity in its current form.

By the way........did you know that the Apostles had a debate after Yeshua left? It was to decide if the converts had to convert to Judaism or not.

Personally..........it doesn't matter where you find God. In a mathematical equation, in nature, in inventive new cutting edge things, or in some religion............

It just matters that you find Him.

And, what one poster said earlier is what I believe. You should have around 3 different theologies that you follow, because that way, it's easier to find God via triangulation (spiritually).

So you mix-and-match to come up with something that sounds good to you?

I also like what His Holiness The Dali Lama said once when asked how many different theologies there should be?

His response was to say that there should be as many religions as there are people on the face of this earth, because, we all understand God in a slightly different way than our neighbors, friends, and family.

So, everyone save possibly one is wrong, then?
Growing up, I was raised by several families (long story), and from the age of 5 through the age of 16, I was beaten repeatedly over the head with a Bible, being told that the current family I was with had the "One True Way to God", and that I should change my views and beliefs to match whoever was in charge, or else I would be going to hell.

Pretty heavy stuff for a kid.

So you rebelled and chose a belief system less authoritarian, grew out your hair, and ultimately became the 'toaist wood dragon'?

It just matters that you find Him.

Jim? I see you kept the sexist aspect of christianity alive in your new creation:eusa_whistle:

I have determined, through careful application of my own intellect, information contained in this thread and a little WD-40, that I like macaroni.

Forum List

Back