What ideas should the new SC Justice embody?

Bonnie said:
Jimmyeatworld

This comment surprises me, given that she made some very liberal decisions ie affirmative action, and declining to ban partial birth abortion.

That's why I say "for the most part". Mainly I'm talking about fairness.

rtwngAvngr said:
IT should be a strict constuctionist. This means someone who makes decision based on the constitution instead of doing whatever they want and then writing some bullsnap opinion that a two year can tell is illogical.

Exactly.

Consider what the Constitution says about something.

The Justice I want should be able to not only accept the fact that the Constitution does not address every conceivable problem that might come before the Court but more importantly be able to suppress their pride and/or thirst for power/importance/legacy/popularity and openly and without reservation admit, "you know, the Constitution doesn't say anything about that, so that's up to the other branches of government, at whatever level is appropriate, to deal with this problem."

As opposed to, oh I don't know....for example, writing a convulted vaguely inteligible 6,500+ word opinion bloviating on how 12 words of text somehow indicates that Government has the right to steal your property and give it to someone else if that someone else promises to pay more taxes because that's what they want it to say.

But that's just me.

New Topics

Forum List

Back