What I Was Doing Christmas Day

sitarro

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2003
USA
I had gone to California to work on a golf course and couldn't get out until Christmas day . This is a shot looking back at San Diego from the 737 I was on.

Here's a fun shot of the car I rented with a 737 approaching above.It was difficult to shoot because you didn't know when a plane was coming until it was there . Nice weather for Christmas!

Here is a shot of the winglet on the 737 . These were just added to Continental's fleet . The sun was setting behind us and gave it an inteeresting glow . We were suppose to see Catwoman on the flight but the video equipment wasn't working so I shot photos of the wing , great fun. .. .. . . .. .

Thanks USA ,you're as sweet as your avatar .
The flight was a little scary , at the ticket counter there was a woman who was obviously a muslim (from the way she was dressed,long flowing burgundy sheet)that was insisting on getting on a flight and the ticket agent was obviously quite pissed with her. Of course when I boarded my flight ,there she was . She got up to go to the back at the worst times (while the carts were in the aisle)and insisted on getting her way .I know I was being paranoid but everything she did seemed suspicious . :terror:
Unfortunately I was on the wing so I was limited to what I could shoot . There were 2 aircraft carriers docked in San Diego and I wish I could have gotten a shot from the air .Here is a shot of San Diego that shows the Navy base .

sitarro said:
Thanks USA ,you're as sweet as your avatar .
Thank you! :D
The flight was a little scary , at the ticket counter there was a woman who was obviously a muslim (from the way she was dressed,long flowing burgundy sheet)that was insisting on getting on a flight and the ticket agent was obviously quite pissed with her. Of course when I boarded my flight ,there she was . She got up to go to the back at the worst times (while the carts were in the aisle)and insisted on getting her way .I know I was being paranoid but everything she did seemed suspicious . :terror:
I would have been a little freaked too. Who am I kidding, I would have had an anxiety attack or something, LOL! Glad you stayed safe!!
Unfortunately I was on the wing so I was limited to what I could shoot . There were 2 aircraft carriers docked in San Diego and I wish I could have gotten a shot from the air .Here is a shot of San Diego that shows the Navy base .
Awesome!! One day, I swear, I'm gonna take shots like that!!!

pretender said:
Nice..... I especially like the first one. :) Are you a photographer?

Well Pretender,
Photography is part of what I do for a living . I produce small books for golf courses called yardage guides .I go to the golf course , measure it , draw a plan view of each hole and green , photograph it and bring all this stuff home and put a book together of illustrations of each hole . I also include some of the photographs that I shot on the course . I'm including a typical sample page here .

sitarro said:
Well Pretender,
Photography is part of what I do for a living . I produce small books for golf courses called yardage guides .I go to the golf course , measure it , draw a plan view of each hole and green , photograph it and bring all this stuff home and put a book together of illustrations of each hole . I also include some of the photographs that I shot on the course . I'm including a typical sample page here .

Your the one that makes those little maps? Excellent!

Excellent!!!... have you ever done The Augusta National course, home of the Masters Golf Tournament?

sitarro said:
Well Pretender,

And if I was any good at golf, or taking pictures, or had the patience to measure the details of the courses, or...

This would then be my dream job. I always wanted a job that I was able to travel to cool places.

pretender said:
Excellent!!!... have you ever done The Augusta National course, home of the Masters Golf Tournament?

No I haven't . I did caddie in the 86 Masters for my older brother who is a great amateur player .
Augusta should get us to do their book , we do the best one in the business . I am not trying to brag , I'm stating a fact . My brothers and I have been producing these books for 20 years , we all play pretty well , and we actually care about the product we put out . Unfortunately there are many out there who are content to just copy those that come first , lower the price , and give bribe money to get in the door . Money speaks louder than excellent work and a lot of people will take "good enough" to save a few cents a book . What is really sad is that you aren't immune from lousy behavior . . . even when dealing with 5 star resorts . We have had our graphics stolen , bills not paid , ideas copied . . . and all of this done by some of the most well known courses and resorts around the country .
The latest threat to our business is the installation of GPS units in golf carts . Courses pay 5000 a month to have these units in their fleet of carts .A lot don't work and are never very accurate but they look very space age . They also force the player into a cart. This is only seen in our country , everywhere else that I have been ....players walk or don't play . Many will say that they can't walk and the answer would be that yes you could if you did it more . I have met 70+ year old ladies in California cruising up and down the hills on Stanford's golf course , they are in great shape because they "just do it ".
There I go again , another rant about golf . :gives:

no1tovote4 said:
And if I was any good at golf, or taking pictures, or had the patience to measure the details of the courses, or...

This would then be my dream job. I always wanted a job that I was able to travel to cool places.

It does have a lot of drawbacks . I wish I was still living in Colorado dammit !

no1tovote4 said:
What could make you leave?! :eek:

Well I had to go to Houston to have access to airline travel and to learn the computer . I could have learned it in Denver but our company is located here .
The one thing I don't regret about the move is that I am close to my family now and I was able to get 6 good years with my Dad before he died. Now I am spending as much time with my Mother while she is still here .It is tuff when your parents get into those late years .

sitarro said:
Well I had to go to Houston to have access to airline travel and to learn the computer . I could have learned it in Denver but our company is located here .
The one thing I don't regret about the move is that I am close to my family now and I was able to get 6 good years with my Dad before he died. Now I am spending as much time with my Mother while she is still here .It is tuff when your parents get into those late years .

(before anybody gets upset this happened long ago)

Yeah, my Dad went quickly and it was a surprise, he was rather young. I got in one evening and had a call to get to the hospital. I had to tell them to shut him down. I was working 7 days a week and not going over as often as I wanted. There were regrets, spend all the time you can with them before they go.

sitarro said:
No I haven't . I did caddie in the 86 Masters for my older brother who is a great amateur player .
Was just wondering .... It is a beautiful course and thought you had a book out I could pick up.

New Topics

Forum List

Back