what i remember most from 9/11..the jumpers

actually the thing i remember the most was the second plane hitting

I was stuck in a traffic jam on I-285, so I wasn't able to see anything until approximately 30 minutes after second plane hit.

I remember thinking it was some idiot in a small plane who hit the towers...This was on my way to work, by the time I got to work, my entire squadron was shut down and all hell broke loose.

It was a 16 hour day the first day and 12 on 12 off for a long time after. AT one point, we had to fly in a robot to Washington and I remember talking to that pilot and he said he was literally the only plane in the sky.

Bad bad bad times.

i remember sitting at breakfast on the west coast and my air traffic controller buddy called me and said we are under attack

he is a jokester, so i gave the obligatory chuckle and said, so how is your day.....he said...yurt!!...i'm not fucking kidding, this is real....so i turn on the news and nothing...so i told him....nothing on the news....he said wait and i will see

i did and i saw

actually the thing i remember the most was the second plane hitting

I was stuck in a traffic jam on I-285, so I wasn't able to see anything until approximately 30 minutes after second plane hit.

I remember thinking it was some idiot in a small plane who hit the towers....

Yep, same thing happened in my office in Seabrook, TX...we thought it was a small plane...radio reports.....we were so fuckin' isolated because our retard manager refused to have a TV in the building, that I really had no idea what had happened until I returned home that evening.

Yep, same thing happened in my office in Seabrook, TX...we thought it was a small plane...radio reports.....we were so fuckin' isolated because our retard manager refused to have a TV in the building, that I really had no idea what had happened until I returned home that evening.
the early reports did say it was a small plane

On 9/11, I was working in a medical office without any TV access, and the internet was slow. I was receiving intermittent reports from a staff member who was listening to a radio.

I felt like I was in a room without lights, unable to see, and I was being punched by fists from all directions.

Second tower was hit...WHAM!
Pentagon's been hit...BOOM!
There's another plane that's crashed in PA...BIFF!
One tower just collapsed...SMACK!
The other tower just collapsed...BOOF!

On 9/11, I was working in a medical office without any TV access, and the internet was slow. I was receiving intermittent reports from a staff member who was listening to a radio.

I felt like I was in a room without lights, unable to see, and I was being punched by fists from all directions.

and there were reports of more planes highkacked
and they didnt know where they were

IN a weird sense, you were lucky. I mean lucky in the sense that you really didnt have to deal with this horror for one day. (I hope this makes sense..)

It's been 9 years since 9/11 and I have yet to be able to watch the any of the video coverage again.

I heard about the attacks while listening to Bob & Tom, which was my morning ritual...since September 11 I have never been able to bring myself to listened to them again.

I had just left a job site where we were doing some repairs to a garage. I herd about the first plane listening to the Bob & Tom show, and was back at the office in time to see the second plane attack.

My first thoughts were to call the recruiters. And I did. But I had already had a minor heart attack........

I had only been off active duty 8 years.

I remember the looks on the faces of some people in a country gas station in Yeehaw Junction.......yea look it up........... when I said.
"Those CIA boys were busy today."
I think this fine young repugnicanT flag waver was present.:cuckoo:

You don't need to try so hard to be a complete fucking scumbag douche, Booger.

It comes naturally enough to you.

It's been 9 years since 9/11 and I have yet to be able to watch the any of the video coverage again.

I heard about the attacks while listening to Bob & Tom, which was my morning ritual...since September 11 I have never been able to bring myself to listened to them again.

I'm with you. I can't watch the videos either. There's no need. I remember it all without them. And the days after, the phone calls, it was like drowning without water. I don't want or need to relive it.

I do remember my mother calling me asking me if I were alright in my squadron in SAN DIEGO...gotta love moms.

and there were reports of more planes highkacked
and they didnt know where they were

I also remember how beautiful a day it was...perfect weather in the NE.

oh man. I was fourteen going on fifteen, a freshman in high school. Algebra class. The teacher was on the phone when I got to class, everyone that was already there was staring at the Tv that the morning announcements usually came on.

I thought it was a movie at first; I didn't understand. There was no class during that hour. We were all turned away from the chalkboard and staring at the TV. The whole school was silent. You could hear the TVs in the other rooms, all echoing what was coming from our TV.

I remember the door was open to the hall and some teachers were talking in the hallway in really quiet voices, like they were trying to keep a secret. I was trying to listen to what they were saying, but I couldn't really focus on them; it was the all on the TV. Surreal. Everything was rumors. A plane at the Pentagon, but there's no way that was true. Just a rumor. It's people panicking. No way there was a second plane crash, and at a government building? no way.

And then we watched the second plane fly into the tower. Like an ugly orange flower with glitter. The teacher gave a quick scream, like a yelp, then started crying and called her husband. I remember thinking how it wasn't like the explosions you see in movies. It was real. the screams on the tv were real.

That's when everybody knew, after that second plane. There was like this collective swell of controlled panic, and uneasiness, in the class. we were looking around at each other and you could just feel it. I looked in the eyes of some others in the class who i never really even spoke to, and there was this short moment were we looked at each other and silently looked for something. I don't know what it was, fear maybe. But you could just feel that something big had happened and there was a change, like the whole world just moved.

More voices around school after the second plane, it wasn't silent anymore. Then the principle came on the overhead awhile later to explain that classes wouldn't be changing for next hour.

I remember during lunch, in the cafeteria, one of my buddies joked about how there were rumors it was arabic terrorists who did it, and arabic terrorists had beards, and Al Gore was growing a beard, so it was Al Gore who attacked us. I laughed.

God I remember that so clearly. It's crazy.

Last edited:
What frightened me most was when the Pentagon was hit. It made me feel really vulnerable.

it was a beautiful day here.....sunny and cool.....i was painting some lumber for my husband when he called...he told me to go inside and turn on the tv...that a plane has hit the wtc. i was going on about how the hell could they not see the wtc...he chilled me when he said.....honey they meant to hit it...go inside...i watched for hours....i could not look away....

i called my son....we all went to give blood the next day.....there must have been 500 people in line....the red cross told a bunch of us to go home....most of the blood going to nyc came from canada

9/11 is soon approaching.

I was in grad school when it happened. I had decided to sleep in that morning because I had been at the lab late the night before. My fiancee at the time had a sister who worked for the UN. He didn't know NYC that well and he called me. I woke from a dead sleep to hear the panic in his voice as he asked me if the UN was near the WTC. I was confused and he told me to turn on the tube.

Soon after, I saw the second plane hit live. Unbelievable. I popped in the shower to get ready to get to the lab. When I got out, I heard the tube say something had happened at the Pentagon. I wanted to be with others but I also didn't want to miss anything. When I decided to drive to the lab, the first tower collapse happened.

It was an awful morning. I had a best friend from undergrad who worked in the WTC (she's gone). I have a close guy friend who worked in the Pentagon. He is 100% service disabled - got burned and has lung issues with jet fuel inhalation, but managed to help others that day. I recall a Marine telling me over and over that it was a 'bad day to be an Arab'. The quiet rage of so many....

My memory of it is as clear today as it was nine years ago. Some things just get burned into our memory banks.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back