What I liked about the debt ceiling bill

Wiseacre

Retired USAF Chief
Apr 8, 2011
San Antonio, TX
The far left didn't like it, the far right didn't like it, but the moderates of both parties passd it even though they weren't particularly thrilled with it. For all the noise about hostages and intransigence, it got done and avoid what could've been serious consequences. And by a significant margin too, isn't that a good thing? In the end the fringes of both sides were not able to have their way, which I find a little bit encouraging.

The far left didn't like it, the far right didn't like it, but the moderates of both parties passd it even though they weren't particularly thrilled with it. For all the noise about hostages and intransigence, it got done and avoid what could've been serious consequences. And by a significant margin too, isn't that a good thing? In the end the fringes of both sides were not able to have their way, which I find a little bit encouraging.

Which basically means that we just passed the buck on until next week, like we always do. Basically, nobody got anything. We will see a few paltry cuts and no increase in revenue. It is a good thing that the ceiling was raised. Not doing so, under any circumstance, would have been economic suicide. But instead of using this as an opportunity to do something positive, they just passed the buck on.

Reading and Comprehension skills must not be your strong suit.

Even the Huffington Post says it's a 13 member dictatorship. And the fact that you're retired military won't save you from the tyranny that's coming.

"The Left AND the Right don't like it so it MUST be good!" Jezus H.! :uhoh3:

If you actually think this bill "avoids serious consequences" You are out of your ever loving mind.

It will be like the bail-outs, Obamacare and stimulus... as time goes on more people will be holding Obama, Dems and Republicans accountable for voting for another crap bill. If anything Obama will be hurting from this in 6 months.

So go ahead, find things you "like" about the bill, in 6 months you won't even remember you made this thread.

This is not an attack on the OP.

Oh yeah, just wait until the illegal immigration issue makes a comeback, I do wonder in Obama will hit the low 30's in approval ratings. Maybe ending the Iraq a second time before the election will give him a boost, as planed lol.

Which basically means that we just passed the buck on until next week, like we always do. Basically, nobody got anything. We will see a few paltry cuts and no increase in revenue. It is a good thing that the ceiling was raised. Not doing so, under any circumstance, would have been economic suicide. But instead of using this as an opportunity to do something positive, they just passed the buck on.

Only the Problem is, the Markets and the Credit Rating People. DID not want to see us pass the buck again.

Hey if you call adding another 7 trillion to the debt--making it 21 TRILLION in red ink in ten years go for it--:clap2:

That's what "moderates" do--go along to get along.

The Federal government is currently borrowing .43 cents on every dollar it spends.

Furthermore--if no one LIKED it--they shouldn't have VOTED for it. 96 Democrats were a NO vote--along with 56 Republicans.

Only the Problem is, the Markets and the Credit Rating People. DID not want to see us pass the buck again.

By 2020s our debt will be 20 trillion plus with this plan. We kicked the can down the road. We should just bring our troops home and close down a crap load of bases. No more nation building. Then maybe then we can look into ssi and ssd reform. Along with some other stuff.

We can't keep spending at the rate we're. My friends on the left, what would happen if you had 10,000 dollars in the banks and spent your credit card 5,000 in debt for 15,000 dollars in total. You would get your credit score lowered and likely looked into for fraud.

I don't understand expecting it not to get bigger. The country has grown. We have more people, more businesses, more everything. Everything has gone up. Prices - everything. So what kind of logic would say the government debt wouldn't do the same?

the far left didn't like it, the far right didn't like it, but the moderates of both parties passd it even though they weren't particularly thrilled with it. For all the noise about hostages and intransigence, it got done and avoid what could've been serious consequences. And by a significant margin too, isn't that a good thing? In the end the fringes of both sides were not able to have their way, which i find a little bit encouraging.

hey if you call adding another 7 trillion to the debt--making it 21 trillion in red ink in ten years go for it--:clap2:

That's what "moderates" do--go along to get along.

the federal government is currently borrowing .43 cents on every dollar it spends.

furthermore--if no one liked it--they shouldn't have voted for it. 96 democrats were a no vote--along with 56 republicans.

7 + 14 = 21

By 2020s our debt will be 20 trillion plus with this plan. We kicked the can down the road. We should just bring our troops home and close down a crap load of bases. No more nation building. Then maybe then we can look into ssi and ssd reform. Along with some other stuff.

We can't keep spending at the rate we're. My friends on the left, what would happen if you had 10,000 dollars in the banks and spent your credit card 5,000 in debt for 15,000 dollars in total. You would get your credit score lowered and likely looked into for fraud.

Way to show your colors by immediately calling for gutting defense. Our Constitution only gives the Federal government a few basic Jobs. DEFENSE IS ONE OF THEM. Besides, the problem is the 84% increase in NON DEFENSE related discretionary spending. I am not opposed to some cuts to defense. However the problem will only be solved when we get that 84% increase in NON Defense Discretionary spending reduced, and deal with entitlements.

Period.

I don't understand expecting it not to get bigger. The country has grown. We have more people, more businesses, more everything. Everything has gone up. Prices - everything. So what kind of logic would say the government debt wouldn't do the same?

The last time I checked being in debt is a bad thing, right?

UM, GDP factors in all the growth you refer to. The Flaw in you comment is that Debt is not growing at the same rate as GDP. It is out pacing it by Far. We have more than doubled the % of GDP our Deficits reflect each year.

Way to show your colors by immediately calling for gutting defense. Our Constitution only gives the Federal government a few basic Jobs. DEFENSE IS ONE OF THEM. Besides, the problem is the 84% increase in NON DEFENSE related discretionary spending. I am not opposed to some cuts to defense. However the problem will only be solved when we get that 84% increase in NON Defense Discretionary spending reduced, and deal with entitlements.

Period.

We need to end nation building. It does us no good and is just one big money sink hole. I agree that our military is important and we shall use it as a military and not a baby sitter or a construction crew within the middle east. Get our troops out of the middle east and Africa. Close down most of the bases and reposition our resources to counter real threats like China.

Closing the a few dozen bases and bringing home a 100,000 troops will save us tens of billions per year.

I agree with decreasing non defense discretionary spending. Close some of the unconstitutional departments.

Reading and Comprehension skills must not be your strong suit.

Even the Huffington Post says it's a 13 member dictatorship. And the fact that you're retired military won't save you from the tyranny that's coming.

"The Left AND the Right don't like it so it MUST be good!" Jezus H.! :uhoh3:

What 13 member dictatorship are you talking about? And what tyranny is coming? Explain please.

The point I was trying to make, which evidently many people including you missed, was that a compromise was struck even though the wingnuts from both parties were against it. Whether you like the bill or not, that fact alone is a good thing IMHO.

If you actually think this bill "avoids serious consequences" You are out of your ever loving mind.

Okay, "avoids" is perhaps the wrong choice of words. How about "avoids for now".

I know the serious consquences are still there if we do not get our financial house in order, but at least we didn't default or miss making payments to people who really need it or shutdown some departments and agencies that really need to be operational.

Forum List

Back