What Have You Done To Buy Cheap Gas?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
I have been checking this link: Chicago Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in Illinois

n5rbmc.png

The caption was set at my zip code. Ugly, no?

I was hoping to find some cheaper prices, but in general, no. Not around here. Bad to worse seems to be the word today.

Same with food costs. Same with utilities.

Unemployed or underemployed? Out of luck.

Phillips 66 is still around?.....they either left California or changed their name out here....havent seen them in years....

Phillips 66 is still around?.....they either left California or changed their name out here....havent seen them in years....

Not plentiful, but around. Until today, there were good reasons to check where I had to go and zip codes. Over the weekend I saved $.39 a gallon. I filled up. Not so good today.

I had to go to daughter's and within 3 miles of her had much cheaper gas. Now the prices have tightened.

You're a good .60+ cents higher than I paid today at the lowest. I'd think of sexual favors north of $4.00.

Nothing. I pull up, fill up. I do have a couple of favorite convenience stores where I do gas up.

I saw a friend putting a couple of dollars into his tank at a locally owned station. He said he needed just enough to get to Indiana so he could fill it up 5 cents cheaper.

I thought what an idiot- he won't spend his money locally. Probably saved $1.50 for the tank full.

Uh...just drive less, Annie. <sigh>

Other than to school and grocery, I don't drive. Weekend at daughter's was anomaly. Happened to be that it's 20 miles and I needed gas, so checked the prices and bought at low, out there. I'm good for more than 2 weeks.

I have been checking this link: Chicago Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in Illinois

n5rbmc.png

I was hoping to find some cheaper prices, but in general, no. Not around here. Bad to worse seems to be the word today.

Two things (if I lived in ChiTown): Sell my car and take the 'L' until I could move to Wisconsin.

n5rbmc.png

Two things (if I lived in ChiTown): Sell my car and take the 'L' until I could move to Wisconsin.

Obviously you don't and aren't familiar with said. Loser.

In Foley, the best 18 prices range between $3.72 and $3.76 with 11 of them at the $3.72. I buy gas when I need it. No I haven't cut down on driving. I get 20 mpg around town in the F-150 and 35 on the RoadKing. The premium for the bike is running about $4.06 to $4.21. It pays to shop some, but at 5 gallons to fill the tank, 15 cents a gallon amounts to 75 cents. If I ride the 5 miles into town to save 15 cents a gallon, I burn up a buck's worth of gas for the round trip.
The truck is even more ridiculous to drive any distance to save 4 cent/gallon. Let's say I buy 25 gallons at $3.76 at the station a mile from my house. The bill is $94 and it cost me 38 cents in gas to drive there and home. The Shell station 5 miles away gets $3.72 or $93 for the tank full, but I drove 10 miles round trip, burnt a half gallon of gas. It just cost me $1.86 to save a dollar.
It likely would take a half hour longer to make the trip as well and I value my time quite highly.

I became a crack whore.[/quote

you still cant pay for a tank of gas even with that

gas here ....last time i checked was hovering at 3.70 to 3.75....

if we cross the border and go into tn we can normally get it cheaper.....our gas is outta la ...their is out of texas....makes a big difference....we have had total gas shortages and they have plenty of gas.....but i am like h its hard to justify driving 20 miles to save a few pennies on the gal...but if i am over that way for any reason i am sure to fill up my tank

Last edited:
I'm beginning to think it's time to sell the house in the country where a vehicle is absolutely necessary and find some urban setting where it isn't.

Drats! I like living where most people don't!

I'm beginning to think it's time to sell the house in the country where a vehicle is absolutely necessary and find some urban setting where it isn't.

Drats! I like living where most people don't!

It is a dilemma. We recently moved from a country setting. There are trade-offs, but honestly I'm digging city life!

Potable water, a cell phone signal, reliable power, real cable tv, a newspaper on the porch, and amenities within walking/biking distance. Oh yeah- and a liquor store just down the street. :D

The CHEAPEST gasoline you can buy is the gasoline you don't use.

Easier said than done, I fully understand.

You know...one of the ausming things that comes of my posting here is my recognition of how easy it is for me to give truly good advice, and how seldomly I take my own advice to heart in my own life.

As I review my own posts over the last year or so I realize that I'm not doing all the smart things I propose we all do, either.

I have not sold my house even though I think that is a good idea because RE is still collapsing.

I have not sold my house even though it costs me more to keep going than I can really afford.

I have not moved into a city where I could jettison my vehicle entirely thus saving me staggering amounts of money on transporation.

I have not invested in things I KNEW were likely to reap me returns.

I seem to have developed into the kind of person I never used to be... a person who does not put into action that which he KNOWs is likely the best move to make.

Yeah, I know I am talking to myself, here.

But doing so publically is apt to encentivize me to get off my ass.

So thanks for being being there so I could TESTIFY, brothers and sisters.

Forum List

Back