What have we done?

We know that the Russians meddled in our 2016 election, and we spent a lot of time and money investigating it. So, with all the hoopla surrounding the collusion allegations and so on, I'm wondering what has been done to make sure they or anyone else doesn't mess with our 2018 midterms? Have we done anything at all to improve our systems security?
Don’t use morons for Cyber Security.

Further:

WASHINGTON — Starting in March 2016, Russian military intelligence hackers covertly targeted over 300 people affiliated with Hillary Clinton’s campaign and two other Democratic political organizations as part of a wide-ranging conspiracy to steal documents and emails and then release the material through cutouts in order to disrupt the American presidential election, according to a major new indictment brought by special counsel Robert Mueller that was released Friday.

The long-awaited, 29-page indictment revealed startling new details about Russia’s 2016 election efforts — including the leasing of U.S. based servers paid for with bitcoin — and fills out key gaps in the story of how top officials of one of Russian President Vladimir Putin’s premier intelligence services, known as the GRU, plotted to meddle in both U.S. congressional races and the presidential race.
Most of the charges are related to the GRU’s role in hacking and stealing documents from the DNC, the DCCC and the Clinton campaign. But the indictment also charges that in July 2016, one GRU official, identified as Anatoliy Sergeyevich Kovalev — an officer assigned to another cyberhacking unit known as “United 74455” — oversaw a plot to penetrate U.S. state boards of election sites and, in one instance, hacked one of those websites and stole information about 500,000 voters, including names, partial Social Security numbers and driver’s license numbers. (The indictment doesn’t name the state, but the details match the cyberattack on the Illinois Board of Elections.) As late as Oct. 28, Kovalev and other GRU officials targeted the websites of counties in Georgia, Iowa and Florida “to identify vulnerabilities.”
The indictment charges that the Russian military officers obtained the stolen emails through so-called “spearphishing” emails to hundreds of Democratic Party officials and consultants that closely resembled the addresses and messages of fellow Democrats or Google security alerts. And the indictment discloses for the first time that, in order to carry off their heists, GRU officials leased U.S. based computer servers in Arizona and Illinois and then paid for the leases as well as phony web registrations and other computer “infrastructure” through bitcoin to avoid detection by U.S. regulators — a form of money laundering, according to the indictment.

Justice Department lays out its case against 12 Russian officers accused of hacking Democrats in 2016

One hopes that by now election and campaign officials at every level are aware of and have taken steps to improve Operational Security procedures to preclude or at least reduce the chances for getting hacked. Certainly there is existing encryption software that isn't that expensive, as well as programming and protocols that will identify external access attempts and notify your computer security people. Hell, we had that shit 20 some years ago, and it's gotta be better and more sophisticated now than it was then. We're in a cyberwar folks, and it's about time we got serious about it. Far as I know though, our Congress hasn't done squat about it; where's the hue and cry to make our elections more secure?
To summarize:

They managed to get Democrat information that the Democrats wanted to remain hidden from the US Publicl and they published them, thereby exposing the nature of the people in the Democrat party to the American public.

The bastages! The horror. The Outrage...

Further:

WASHINGTON — Starting in March 2016, Russian military intelligence hackers covertly targeted over 300 people affiliated with Hillary Clinton’s campaign and two other Democratic political organizations as part of a wide-ranging conspiracy to steal documents and emails and then release the material through cutouts in order to disrupt the American presidential election, according to a major new indictment brought by special counsel Robert Mueller that was released Friday.

The long-awaited, 29-page indictment revealed startling new details about Russia’s 2016 election efforts — including the leasing of U.S. based servers paid for with bitcoin — and fills out key gaps in the story of how top officials of one of Russian President Vladimir Putin’s premier intelligence services, known as the GRU, plotted to meddle in both U.S. congressional races and the presidential race.
Most of the charges are related to the GRU’s role in hacking and stealing documents from the DNC, the DCCC and the Clinton campaign. But the indictment also charges that in July 2016, one GRU official, identified as Anatoliy Sergeyevich Kovalev — an officer assigned to another cyberhacking unit known as “United 74455” — oversaw a plot to penetrate U.S. state boards of election sites and, in one instance, hacked one of those websites and stole information about 500,000 voters, including names, partial Social Security numbers and driver’s license numbers. (The indictment doesn’t name the state, but the details match the cyberattack on the Illinois Board of Elections.) As late as Oct. 28, Kovalev and other GRU officials targeted the websites of counties in Georgia, Iowa and Florida “to identify vulnerabilities.”
The indictment charges that the Russian military officers obtained the stolen emails through so-called “spearphishing” emails to hundreds of Democratic Party officials and consultants that closely resembled the addresses and messages of fellow Democrats or Google security alerts. And the indictment discloses for the first time that, in order to carry off their heists, GRU officials leased U.S. based computer servers in Arizona and Illinois and then paid for the leases as well as phony web registrations and other computer “infrastructure” through bitcoin to avoid detection by U.S. regulators — a form of money laundering, according to the indictment.

Justice Department lays out its case against 12 Russian officers accused of hacking Democrats in 2016

One hopes that by now election and campaign officials at every level are aware of and have taken steps to improve Operational Security procedures to preclude or at least reduce the chances for getting hacked. Certainly there is existing encryption software that isn't that expensive, as well as programming and protocols that will identify external access attempts and notify your computer security people. Hell, we had that shit 20 some years ago, and it's gotta be better and more sophisticated now than it was then. We're in a cyberwar folks, and it's about time we got serious about it. Far as I know though, our Congress hasn't done squat about it; where's the hue and cry to make our elections more secure?
To summarize:

They managed to get Democrat information that the Democrats wanted to remain hidden from the US Publicl and they published them, thereby exposing the nature of the people in the Democrat party to the American public.

The bastages! The horror. The Outrage...

I get your point, the Dems got exposed as a bunch of lyin', cheatin' asshats that got what they deserved when they lost the election IMHO. But my larger point is about the Russian interference; this is only one in a series, these guys are not going to stop their attempts at espionage and sabotage of our election process and the political system at large. I doubt that they influenced the outcome this time, but I'm not so sure about the next time. Even if it's the Dems they target, I do not want or accept a foreign power messing with us like that. I dunno if The Donald is going to lay down the law when he meets Putin, but it needs to be done. "Cut the crap or there will be serious consequences that WILL hurt you. And don't be thinking you've got enough leverage against us to matter, cuz you don't. Oh, and BTW fuck you.".

Democrats before the elections when they thought "President Hillary" is a sure thing:

THERE IS NO WAY THE ELECTIONS CAN BE HACKED THIS IS THE TALK OF A MAN WHO SEES DEFEAT

2ptb9l3.png

Democrats after losing the elections they though they have in pocket.

RUSSIA HAS HACKED OUR ELECTION AND THIS PRESIDENCY IS ILLEGITIMATE!

The hypocrisy was stunning.

It's not hypocrisy when Democrat does it.

Perhaps we could look into the millions Hillary got from the Saudis? What's good for the goose?

We know that the Russians meddled in our 2016 election, and we spent a lot of time and money investigating it. So, with all the hoopla surrounding the collusion allegations and so on, I'm wondering what has been done to make sure they or anyone else doesn't mess with our 2018 midterms? Have we done anything at all to improve our systems security?

Trump doesn't believe his own people. Any admission or internalization of the facts is not going to happen.

task0778 said:
Have we done anything at all to improve our systems security?
They Hacked Our Voting Booths ??
Now We're Getting Somewhere !!

Just Show Me...
I have the impression you'll applaud this particular variety of hacking.

The U.S. official in charge of protecting American elections from hacking says the Russians successfully penetrated the voter registration rolls of several U.S. states prior to the 2016 presidential election.
https://www.nbcnews.com

Wait, you're fucking lying. That doesn't say what you lie it does. It says "probing and scanning." No where is there a claim of any alteration of records.

Well, that's the way of you Communists, filthy fucking liars without a shred or hint of integrity.

You can't stop someone from "meddling" whatever the hell that means.

Obama told me I have nothing to worry about so I don't care one bit what Russia tries to do. I sleep well because Obama told me our voting system is impossible to hack.

It actually is impossible to hack. Obama stumbled and accidentally told the truth.

Our voting system is impossible to hack because we have no voting system.

Every county in every state has a different method of voting, there is no central system. The worst case is that an individual precinct could be tampered with.

The perversion of our elections has to do with democrats stuffing ballot boxes and using illegal aliens to vote.

The country that openly fucks with our elections with the help of the Stalinist democrats is Mexico.

Russia posted some memes...

None of the political establishment wants to change anything, that's why there are 'never Trumpers' on both sides of the dinosaur party elements. They have a good thing going being government elites in D.C.

We've done nothing. Our *president* can't admit that it happened so he has done nothing.
Your messiah had eight years and he did nothing. Stop your finger pointing.

We've done nothing. Our *president* can't admit that it happened so he has done nothing.

I object....'did nothing'...

He actually made it worse.

1. "Incomes Have Dropped Twice as Much During the 'Recovery' as During the Recession
. ...the Census Bureau's Current Population Survey ....indicate that the real (inflation-adjusted) median annual household income in America has fallen by 4.4 percent during the "recovery," after having fallen by 1.8 during the recession.
Incomes Have Dropped Twice as Much During the 'Recovery' as During the Recession

2. In a stunning Tuesday report, Gallup CEO and Chairman Jim Clifton revealed that “for the first time in 35 years, American business deaths now outnumber business births.”Clifton says for the past six years since 2008, employer business startups have fallen below the business failure rate, spurring what he calls “an underground earthquake” that only stands to worsen as lagging U.S. Census data becomes available.
“Let’s get one thing clear: This economy is never truly coming back unless we reverse the birth and death trends of American businesses,” writes Clifton."Economic Death Spiral: More American Businesses Dying Than Starting - Breitbart

3. "Surprise: U.S. Economic Data Have Been the World's Most Disappointing
It's not only the just-released University of Michigan consumer confidence report and February retail sales on Thursday that surprised economists and investors with another dose of underwhelming news. Overall, U.S. economic data have been falling short of prognosticators' expectations by the most in six years." Surprise: U.S. Economic Data Have Been the World's Most Disappointing

Obama performed the amazing trick of being a stuffed shirt and an empty suit at the very same time!!!!

That's fake news.

That's fake news.
That's trolling

That's fake news.
That's trolling
No, that's a fact. I know you tRump supporters have a hard time spotting them so I'll let it slide.

That's fake news.
That's trolling
No, that's a fact. I know you tRump supporters have a hard time spotting them so I'll let it slide.
Whatever it takes not have to admit that Opie didn't do a damn thing for 8 years. understood

That's fake news.
That's trolling
Whatever it takes not have to admit that Opie didn't do a damn thing for 8 years. understood
Lmao!

He did almost all the good things you are trying to give tRump cradit for. All Cheeto Jesus has done is not fuck it up irretrievably yet.

That's fake news.
That's trolling
Lmao!

He did almost all the good things you are trying to give tRump cradit for. All Cheeto Jesus has done is not fuck it up irretrievably yet.
What cheeto did was get rid of those ridiculous EO's that stifled businesses. But, go ahead with your fairy tale and tuck yourself in at night. :auiqs.jpg:

That's fake news.
That's trolling
Lmao!

THIS GUY??????

"FORMER ACLU PRESIDENT: OBAMA WAS ‘TERRIBLE PRESIDENT’ ON FREE SPEECH ISSUES

A former American Civil Liberties Union president suggested former President Barack Obama was a “terrible president” when it came to free speech issues, during a Friday interview.

Former ACLU president and author Nadine Strossen made the remark during a phone interview with The Daily Caller News Foundation about the ACLU’s efforts with regard to free speech on college campuses going back to the 1990s.

“I still think a lot of liberals aren’t aware [of] what a terrible president [Obama] was,” Strossen told TheDCNF, alluding to the fact that the former president used the Espionage Act to pursue whistleblowers more times than all previous presidents had combined."
Former ACLU President: Obama Was ‘Terrible President’ On Free Speech Issues

Jeeeeezzzzz......he's as much an American as you are.

Forum List

Back