What Has The Government Done For You?

This is an epic fail...

Lincoln proposed an income tax to pay for the war against the confederacy. Yeah, you actually have to pay for wars. That's something modern day Republicans do not understand.

Lincoln stole from the populace and inflated their currency to pay for an unnecessary war that he had no business waging.

A war he had no business waging? So you think he should have just let the southern states succeed from the union? That's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

“The indissoluble link of union between the people of the several states of this confederated nation is, after all, not in the right but in the heart. If the day should come (may Heaven avert it!) when the affections of the people of these States shall be alienated from each other; when the fraternal spirit shall give way to cold indifference, or collision of interests shall fester into hatred, the bands of political associations will not long hold together parties no longer attracted by the magnetism of conciliated interests or kindly sympathies; and far better will it be for the people of the disunited states to part in friendship from each other, than to be held together by constraint.” – John Quincy Adams

“The future inhabitants of the Atlantic & Mississippi States will be our sons. We leave them in distinct but bordering establishments. We think we see their happiness in their union, & we wish it. Events may prove it otherwise; and if they see their interest in separation, why should we take side with our Atlantic rather than our Mississippi descendants? It is the elder and the younger son differing. God bless them both, & keep them in union, if it be for their good, but separate them, if it be better.” – Thomas Jefferson

Was it the dumbest thing you ever heard when the colonies seceded from the British Empire? How about when South Sudan seceded from Sudan? Or the former Soviet states when they seceded? Or many people in Quebec wanting to secede from Canada? Or how about the movements in Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland to secede from the UK?

nothing. look at illegal aliens the borders are a joke. the dollar is a joke, the federal reserve is a crime and the government is not here to do for us you idiot. Kennedy said "It's not what your county can do for you, but what you can do for your country".

lazy ass liberals wanting bigger welfare checks to take care of 6 kids with 6 dads, on my tax dollar. fuck that. This Bullshit needs to stop

I got most of my degree paid for under the GI Bill and for as long as I've owned a home (around 35 years now) I've enjoyed a partial property tax exemption that saves me somewhere around $2000 a year.

For the first 20 years of working days I was heavily involved in defense, aerospace, FAA, and NASA work. All government funded programs.

The Mrs spent 35 years working at a national laboratory with all the goodies that come with that.

And in six short months the Social Security checks will start rolling in.

Last edited:
Living with a sense of appreciation is not only more authentic, it leads to a greater sense of happiness. You spend less time feeling angry, afraid, defensive and resentful.

Living with a sense of appreciation is not only more authentic, it leads to a greater sense of happiness. You spend less time feeling angry, afraid, defensive and resentful.

If some didn't have those feelings, they'd have no feelings at all.

This is an epic fail...

Lincoln proposed an income tax to pay for the war against the confederacy. Yeah, you actually have to pay for wars. That's something modern day Republicans do not understand.

Lincoln stole from the populace and inflated their currency to pay for an unnecessary war that he had no business waging.

A war he had no business waging? So you think he should have just let the southern states succeed from the union? That's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Can you show me where the Constitution prohibits a state from succeeding?

Mike

What Has The Government Done For You?

It saved me and my family when I got very sick.

Of course I prepaid for that safety net, having worked and paid taxes for 35 years before it happened, but its something I'm not likely to ever forget.

What has the government done for me? Seizing approximately 50% of my income for the past few years and then wasting the money on crap.

Thanks government!

Ssi_card.gif

Social Security

:lol::lol:

Oh dear. You really are a complete borg.

Ahhh, that's adorable. Stupid. But adorable.

So, meanwhile, back in the real world..... :lol:

“The indissoluble link of union between the people of the several states of this confederated nation is, after all, not in the right but in the heart. If the day should come (may Heaven avert it!) when the affections of the people of these States shall be alienated from each other; when the fraternal spirit shall give way to cold indifference, or collision of interests shall fester into hatred, the bands of political associations will not long hold together parties no longer attracted by the magnetism of conciliated interests or kindly sympathies; and far better will it be for the people of the disunited states to part in friendship from each other, than to be held together by constraint.” – John Quincy Adams

“The future inhabitants of the Atlantic & Mississippi States will be our sons. We leave them in distinct but bordering establishments. We think we see their happiness in their union, & we wish it. Events may prove it otherwise; and if they see their interest in separation, why should we take side with our Atlantic rather than our Mississippi descendants? It is the elder and the younger son differing. God bless them both, & keep them in union, if it be for their good, but separate them, if it be better.” – Thomas Jefferson

Was it the dumbest thing you ever heard when the colonies seceded from the British Empire? How about when South Sudan seceded from Sudan? Or the former Soviet states when they seceded? Or many people in Quebec wanting to secede from Canada? Or how about the movements in Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland to secede from the UK?

Succeeding from the British was completely different. It would have been viewed as crazy at the time but that group of people stood for freedom. The confederacy stood for slavery and unequal rights. That's what makes it different.

I'm from Canada originally and I dislike Quebec more then you will ever know. I won't get into it but I have my reasons and I'm not alone. Up there, they even formed a political party called the BLOC Party which steals votes from the Liberals.

Succeeding from the British was completely different. It would have been viewed as crazy at the time but that group of people stood for freedom. The confederacy stood for slavery and unequal rights. That's what makes it different.

I'm from Canada originally and I dislike Quebec more then you will ever know. I won't get into it but I have my reasons and I'm not alone. Up there, they even formed a political party called the BLOC Party which steals votes from the Liberals.

No, it wasn't. The slave-owning colonies seceded from the British Empire declaring, "That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness." The slave-owning southern states then sought to use the same principle to secede from the Union. You see you can't differentiate that one was seceding for liberty and the other for slavery when they both allowed slavery at the time of their secession.

No, it wasn't. The slave-owning colonies seceded from the British Empire declaring, "That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness." The slave-owning southern states then sought to use the same principle to secede from the Union. You see you can't differentiate that one was seceding for liberty and the other for slavery when they both allowed slavery at the time of their secession.

My counter is that the the founders strongly believed in equal rights for all. If they had declared that African Americans were free when they founded the country, the civil war would have happened in the late 1700's.

There was never going to be a peaceful resolution to this issue. The Northern States relied heavily on the Southern States and vice versa for economic reasons. If they had split apart, then it would have been devastating for both in the long run. Lincoln knew that and he also knew that the issue of slavery had to be dealt with.

My counter is that the the founders strongly believed in equal rights for all. If they had declared that African Americans were free when they founded the country, the civil war would have happened in the late 1700's.

There was never going to be a peaceful resolution to this issue. The Northern States relied heavily on the Southern States and vice versa for economic reasons. If they had split apart, then it would have been devastating for both in the long run. Lincoln knew that and he also knew that the issue of slavery had to be dealt with.

There wouldn't have been a Civil War, southern states simply wouldn't have joined the Union in the first place.

There easily could have been a peaceful resolution to slavery. Every other major nation was able to end slavery peacefully, so there's certainly no reason why the U.S. couldn't. The northern states relied on the southern states, whereas the southern states relied on Europe. This is why tariffs were such a serious issue. Lincoln had no interest in ending slavery, he merely wanted to try to hurt the Confederacy.

That isn't "what they stood for" it was a component of it but that alone doesn't mean that they don't have the right to succeed. There is nothing in the Constitution that prevents them from succeeding.

Mike

Slavery would have died in the south at some point as well. The point here isn't what was right or wrong, in your opinion, it is what was in the agreement that they signed. Constitutionally the federal government has no ground to suggest that the states cannot succeed. In fact, the founders feared it. It was one of the original arguments that took place and was part of the reason for a bicameral legislature. The argument was that the smaller states would break away if the larger states tried to overrun them with the larger representation by numbers. Conveniently the States never put anything that specifically prevented them from succeeding. Lincoln wasn't motivated by slavery and didn't believe that blacks were equal to whites. This romanticism with Lincoln as a champion of equality is just a lie. Consider these quotes:

The "great" Abraham Lincoln said:
My first impulse would be to free all the slaves, and send them to Liberia,-to their own native land. But a moment's reflection would convince me, that whatever of high hope, (as I think there is) there may be in this, in the long run, its sudden execution is impossible. If they were all landed there in a day, they would all perish in the next ten days; and there are not surplus shipping and surplus money enough in the world to carry them there in many times ten days. What then? Free them all, and keep them among us as underlings? Is it quite certain that this betters their condition? I think I would not hold one in slavery at any rate; yet the point is not clear enough to me to denounce people upon. What next? Free them, and make them politically and socially our equals? My own feelings will not admit of this; and if mine would, we well know that those of the great mass of white people will not. Whether this feeling accords with justice and sound judgment, is not the sole question, if, indeed, it is any part of it. A universal feeling, whether well or ill-founded, cannot be safely disregarded. We cannot, then, make them equals. It does seem to me that systems of gradual emancipation might be adopted; but for their tardiness in this, I will not undertake to judge our brethren of the South.

Lincoln didn't even free anyone with this "emancipation proclamation". It is funny that he gets all of this credit for it now but he didn't free slaves in Union territory, he only freed them in southern states.

He used the EP to try to turn the tide of the war by encouraging the slaves to revolt.

Mike

Forum List

Back