What has Religion taught you.....

About the human experience, that you (or humanity) could not have learned otherwise? Mainly morals, but open to whatever.

That all depends. Could you define what you mean by "religion" to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

Okay, I'll be more specific.

Any books claiming to be inspired by or the word of - God - or claiming intimate knowledge of God and proceeding with a list of his wishes or actions.

Ahh.... it is always good to define terms because that is not how I would define it. So, based upon your definition, I have learned some history and sociology from religion.

That all depends. Could you define what you mean by "religion" to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

Okay, I'll be more specific.

Any books claiming to be inspired by or the word of - God - or claiming intimate knowledge of God and proceeding with a list of his wishes or actions.

Ahh.... it is always good to define terms because that is not how I would define it. So, based upon your definition, I have learned some history and sociology from religion.

That you could not have learned outside of it, or as a happenstance that you didn't learn outside of it?

You can't recommend anything to me, because you have no idea who you're talking to or what he has or has not experienced.

The rest of my post would be offensive. I'll leave it alone.

So your OP was not a serious question to encourage people to share, but was to bait them so you could feel self righteous and superior? Or give you a reason to attack those who are searching for answers or who have opinions about it?

Your last couple of responses suggest that.

But I'll answer your question anyway.

My religious faith has taught me that every person has worth. Every person has value. Every person has some gift or ability to give and has potential to leave the world better than he/she found it. And that God loves us and cares about us no matter how hateful or superior or judgmental or rebellious or unbelieving we might be.

My question was not answered, so instead of replying in a cock-sucking way, I ignored the non-answers. This wasn't a thread to play patty cake, it was to argue issues in a respectful manor. Instead of acknowledging the question, the responses show that the question wasn't fully grasped.

I'll respond to your response, though here:

You forgot my premise: "that you couldn't have learned without Religion." Your last sentence aside, your first three most certainly are taught and found outside of Religion.

Forgive me if I thought Peach's response to be especially respectful but did receive a somewhat hostile response from you. I can't see how she did not grasp what I took to be the premise of the question. And it is that which most prompted my response. But I'll give you benefit of the doubt based on what else I have learned through considerations of religious faith.

I have learned that in almost all cases judging motive or what is in another's heart is God's job and we are not to interject ourselves into that. This I believe to be the foundation of the commandment to 'not judge'. I do believe we are to judge the actions of the others and see these as good or evil. That which is not sin is good. And sin is that which harms ourselves and/or others.

And perhaps those 'first three concepts' are taught and found outside of religious faith or tempering. Perhaps they are. But I have seen precious little of it. And I think most people do not understand human worth and potential outside of God's instruction. It is almost always those instructed by their religious faith who choose to devote their time, fortunes, and very lives in service to some of the world's most unlovable people; those who seem to have nothing to contribute or offer. It is mostly those instructed by their religious faith who see the potential and person of value in the unborn and choose to protect it. I believe it is those who have felt God's love and affirmation who are best equipped to do the same for others.

Would I have believed or understood all of this outside of my religious faith? I don't know. But I cannot imagine that I would.

Religion has taught me that most people will give you money if you tell them they will live in paradise after they die.

So your OP was not a serious question to encourage people to share, but was to bait them so you could feel self righteous and superior? Or give you a reason to attack those who are searching for answers or who have opinions about it?

My religious faith has taught me that every person has worth. Every person has value. Every person has some gift or ability to give and has potential to leave the world better than he/she found it. And that God loves us and cares about us no matter how hateful or superior or judgmental or rebellious or unbelieving we might be.

My question was not answered, so instead of replying in a cock-sucking way, I ignored the non-answers. This wasn't a thread to play patty cake, it was to argue issues in a respectful manor. Instead of acknowledging the question, the responses show that the question wasn't fully grasped.

You forgot my premise: "that you couldn't have learned without Religion." Your last sentence aside, your first three most certainly are taught and found outside of Religion.

Forgive me if I thought Peach's response to be especially respectful but did receive a somewhat hostile response from you. I can't see how she did not grasp what I took to be the premise of the question. And it is that which most prompted my response. But I'll give you benefit of the doubt based on what else I have learned through considerations of religious faith.

I have learned that in almost all cases judging motive or what is in another's heart is God's job and we are not to interject ourselves into that. This I believe to be the foundation of the commandment to 'not judge'. I do believe we are to judge the actions of the others and see these as good or evil. That which is not sin is good. And sin is that which harms ourselves and/or others.

And perhaps those 'first three concepts' are taught and found outside of religious faith or tempering. Perhaps they are. But I have seen precious little of it. And I think most people do not understand human worth and potential outside of God's instruction. It is almost always those instructed by their religious faith who choose to devote their time, fortunes, and very lives in service to some of the world's most unlovable people; those who seem to have nothing to contribute or offer. It is mostly those instructed by their religious faith who see the potential and person of value in the unborn and choose to protect it. I believe it is those who have felt God's love and affirmation who are best equipped to do the same for others.

Would I have believed or understood all of this outside of my religious faith? I don't know. But I cannot imagine that I would.

I think that you need to meet more wholesome people who aren't Religious, and perhaps you might reconsider.

Judging others motives, or assuming what's in their heart is a good one to talk about.

This becomes self evident when you misjudge people, again and again, to find out that you were wrong.

In other words, this comes about Naturally to most sentient beings.

As far as valuing human life - I would respectfully disagree that it's done by widely one or the other, religious or non.

I think that you need to meet more wholesome people who aren't Religious, and perhaps you might reconsider.

Judging others motives, or assuming what's in their heart is a good one to talk about.

This becomes self evident when you misjudge people, again and again, to find out that you were wrong.

As far as valuing human life - I would respectfully disagree that it's done by widely one or the other, religious or non.

And how is counseling me to 'meet more wholesome people outside of religion' not every bit as offensive as what you have bashed others for on this thread?

And yet those who have been informed by their religious faith would not likely have drawn the same conclusion as you.

What I have learned from religious faith is that which some claim to be religion is indeed corrupting and too often is negative and too often is indefensible. And I have also learned that a relationship with God changes people in remarkable ways and empowers them to do what others cannot or will not do.

Religion has taught me that humanity has a tremendous thirst for faith, for appealing to a higher power. Sometimes I think it is wired into the DNA.

I have my significant issues with religion, but humanity's thirst for it is undeniable, and reaches well before recorded history. I recently did some research on the Gobekli Tepe site in Turkey. Here is a place that predates written history by over 5,000 years, that historians previously thought was beyond the means of such hunter-gatherer societies, yet there it is, and it has obviously religious significance. Fascinating, really. Well over half of it has yet to be uncovered.

Despite my criticisms of revealed religion, and my general scorn for the church, I recognize that religion is an extremely important part of the development of humanity. Religion played an important role in the development of intellect, as such contemplations of things greater than ourselves brought us out of the immediate concerns of day-to-day survival. This is part of why I am in awe of the schism between faith and science, and why so many consider the two so mutually exclusive.

Anyway, that's what religion has taught me.

And how is counseling me to 'meet more wholesome people outside of religion' not every bit as offensive as what you have bashed others for on this thread?

Well, here's the thing.

If you're going to say that you havent seen much of people valuing life and such outside of Religion......

And I have.......

My obvious remark would be for you to meet new people because where you're looking is obviously odd...to me, based on my own experience in finding that non-Religious still value life.

You're not here to talk, you're here for a "gotcha!" Get the fuggouttaaa heyaa.

Religion has taught me that humanity has a tremendous thirst for faith, for appealing to a higher power. Sometimes I think it is wired into the DNA.

I have my significant issues with religion, but humanity's thirst for it is undeniable, and reaches well before recorded history. I recently did some research on the Gobekli Tepe site in Turkey. Here is a place that predates written history by over 5,000 years, that historians previously thought was beyond the means of such hunter-gatherer societies, yet there it is, and it has obviously religious significance. Fascinating, really. Well over half of it has yet to be uncovered.

Despite my criticisms of revealed religion, and my general scorn for the church, I recognize that religion is an extremely important part of the development of humanity. Religion played an important role in the development of intellect, as such contemplations of things greater than ourselves brought us out of the immediate concerns of day-to-day survival. This is part of why I am in awe of the schism between faith and science, and why so many consider the two so mutually exclusive.

Anyway, that's what religion has taught me.

Thanks for your post. I'd disagree with much of it, but let me get back to you when I have more time to put into it sir. Have a great night!~

Well, here's the thing.

If you're going to say that you havent seen much of people valuing life and such outside of Religion......

And I have.......

My obvious remark would be for you to meet new people because where you're looking is obviously odd...to me, based on my own experience in finding that non-Religious still value life.

You have no way to know why I am here. I am not insulting you. I am defending those who I thought unfairly insulted and doing my best to answer your question. But that which I say I have learned you say I could have learned outside of religion. And your implication was that if I 'got out more", so to speak, I would know that.

Would it not follow that if you spent more time with people of genuine faith and religious beliefs, you might better understand the truth of what I am saying here? And if you say you have done that, could it not logically follow that I have also witnessed the dynamics of perception and understand among those who reject religious faith and concepts just as much as you have?

You can't recommend anything to me, because you have no idea who you're talking to or what he has or has not experienced.

The rest of my post would be offensive. I'll leave it alone.

I answered your question and I got it.
You can not learn good and evil without religious teaching.
Society does not teach this.
Mankind left by itself always resorts back to selfishness, jealousy, envy, murder and so on.

Last edited:

Well, here's the thing.

And I have.......

You have no way to know why I am here. I am not insulting you. I am defending those who I thought unfairly insulted and doing my best to answer your question. But that which I say I have learned you say I could have learned outside of religion. And your implication was that if I 'got out more", so to speak, I would know that.

Would it not follow that if you spent more time with people of genuine faith and religious beliefs, you might better understand the truth of what I am saying here? And if you say you have done that, could it not logically follow that I have also witnessed the dynamics of perception and understand among those who reject religious faith and concepts just as much as you have?

I have been in and around Religion all of my life.

I see no different caring for human life of the Religious versus the non.

Mankind left by itself always resorts back to selfishness, jealousy, envy, murder and so on.

I disagree, I beieve mankind taught it all.

But here, though you and I are on the same page, I do think the culture is as important to concepts of right and wrong as are religious teachings. Which is why an American who has had no religious teachings of any kind will generally know that murder is wrong, that those who lie and cheat are dishonorable, that incest and child molestation are evil, etc. etc.

But how do such things enter a nation's culture? In our case our culture has evolved from an intensely religious people of faith who developed a nation based on philosophies ingrained in their Christian religious teachings and faith. You simply cannot separate that from the American culture.

I disagree, I believe mankind taught it all.

If mankind taught it. Then our American Society would not be going down the tubes the way it has. Our culture is seeing the way mankind has become without religious teaching.
Our children do not have respect for their parents.
Woman would not be doing abortions at over a million each and every year. It's desensitizing the value of human life.
Everyone is cheating on each other and divorce is sky high.
People are robbing and stealing right and left.
Almost everyone is lying to each other, especially our Government.
Everyone is jealous of what everyone else has and they want it and they want it now. Credit cards are maxed out.
Our society was never like this, just a few short 45 or 50 years ago.
We were totally opposite from what I just listed.

The relationship betwee us, God, and our fellow man.

I learned my human to human relationships without Religion. I'm looking for parts of the human experience you were taught by Religion that you couldnt have discovered otherwise.

When you revert back to Religion, you're basically using the word in its definition. In otherwords, what morals did Religion teach you that you or humanity couldnt have achieved on you or its own?

I cannot think of anything, at the moment, that exists inside of Religion which attempts to relate to humanity that Humanity could not have explained all on its own (and has, in my opinion).

maybe this can help. I've looked at it from the inside as a Catholic and from the outside (am no longer a Catholic). What I have found is that it isn't the religion as much as the common culture of the religion. I watch my brother and his family and their group of Catholic friends (their community) and they all teach their children the same thing. There is a common teaching and each parent is confident that the teaching is the same. I never told my parents that "Bob's" parents let him drop out. That type of behavior was frowned upon by the community as a whole, and if you wanted to leave, you left the community and were unwanted by the community. These religious groups have the benefit of creating for themselves a network of like minds with a common goal.

I disagree, I believe mankind taught it all.

If mankind taught it. Then our American Society would not be going down the tubes the way it has. Our culture is seeing the way mankind has become without religious teaching.
Our children do not have respect for their parents.
Woman would not be doing abortions at over a million each and every year. It's desensitizing the value of human life.
Everyone is cheating on each other and divorce is sky high.
People are robbing and stealing right and left.
Almost everyone is lying to each other, especially our Government.
Everyone is jealous of what everyone else has and they want it and they want it now. Credit cards are maxed out.
Our society was never like this, just a few short 45 or 50 years ago.
We were totally opposite from what I just listed.
im in complete disagreement with you. I dont see our society as devolving..but evolving. Cheating and stealing has been around forever. Forever. Youre just jaded, and thats alright...but sadly for the theory is that much of america respects their parents..works hard, and are honest. The only way you can think differently is to over indulge in media hype, or widely seclude yourself.also...if your theory about our destruction is true, it has nothing provable to do with religion.

Forum List

Back