What Has Obama Done to his Elections Odds by Endorsing Gay Marriage?

Does Obama's Endorsement of Gay Marriage Hurt His Election Effort?

• Yes

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • Not significantly in either way

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Dunno

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters
Obama blew it.

I, like a lot of other social conservatives, was planning to sit the presidential election out.

As proof, you'll see I haven't posted in any Romney threads...and very few Obama threads.

Now that's going to change.

This was a terrible mistake politically for Obama...there's no doubt about that.

Probably not much. The Republicans who hate gay people will never vote for Obama. Besides, most of them hate blacks too. And Hispanics. And Muslims. And college professors. And women's rights. And union workers. And education. And the middle class. And.......well, you get the picture.

Probably not much. The Republicans who hate gay people will never vote for Obama. Besides, most of them hate blacks too. And Hispanics. And Muslims. And college professors. And women's rights. And union workers. And education. And the middle class. And.......well, you get the picture.

Yeah and that picture is that you are a total looney-toon goofball.

That is the stupidest response of all of the responses on this thread.

Nice electoral map tool:
2012 Presidential Election Interactive Map and History of the Electoral College

This endorsement of Gay Marriage is going to cost Obama the South and most of the western states too. This puts Florida, Virginia, N Carolina, Nevada, and Colorado in the GOP column with another 72 EV bringing Romney's total to 263.

So Romney only needs either Ohio or Pennsylvania, or New Hampshire and Iowa together.

I think Romney will get PA and OH too for a total of 311 to 227.

Obama just shot himself in the arse.
Nonsense. Social issues are at the bottom of the list of voter priorities and gay marriage is at bottom of that list. It is unlikely to have any real impact on the election. However, it's a smart move for Obama. Taking the side of the underdog is always good for points and in this case, national polls are showing a majority of Americans now favor legal gay marriage. Although the gay community may not be a strong voting block, this interview will solidify his support. Also, Obama is getting some good press, simply because he's willing to stand up for what he believes to the right thing.

Pew Research Poll: Social issues rank lowest among voter priorities – LGBTQ Nation
For First Time, Majority of Americans Favor Legal Gay Marriage

Last edited:
Nice electoral map tool:

This endorsement of Gay Marriage is going to cost Obama the South and most of the western states too. This puts Florida, Virginia, N Carolina, Nevada, and Colorado in the GOP column with another 72 EV bringing Romney's total to 263.

So Romney only needs either Ohio or Pennsylvania, or New Hampshire and Iowa together.

Nonsense. Social issues are at the bottom of the list of voter priorities and gay marriage is at bottom of that list. It is unlikely to have any real impact on the election. However, it's a smart move for Obama. Taking the side of the underdog is always good for points and in this case national polls are showing a majority of Americans now favor legal gay marriage.

Pew Research Poll: Social issues rank lowest among voter priorities – LGBTQ Nation

I hope you're right about the social issues.

I think the timing was terrible for him to announce this. Whether or not he is pandering; he looks like he is.

I bet they also hate parrots..I'd shoot mine if I had one like you..:eek:

Nice electoral map tool:

Nonsense. Social issues are at the bottom of the list of voter priorities and gay marriage is at bottom of that list. It is unlikely to have any real impact on the election. However, it's a smart move for Obama. Taking the side of the underdog is always good for points and in this case, national polls are showing a majority of Americans now favor legal gay marriage. Although the gay community may not be a strong voting block, this interview will solidify his support. Also, Obama is getting some good press, simply because he's willing to stand up for what he believes to the right thing.

Oh, bullshit. POew, the NYT and other libtard publications hire pollsters to give them the results they want. And even their polls show a bare majority if a majority any more.

And support appears to be dropping.

Americans' support for gay marriage wanes amid political divide - Xinhua | English.news.cn

Americans' support for gay marriage wanes amid political divide'

Fifty percent of Americans believe same-sex marriages should be recognized as legitimate, with the same rights as traditional marriages, a figure down slightly from 53 percent last year, while 48 percent say such marriages should not be legal, according to a Gallup poll released Tuesday.

DOWN FROM RECORD HIGH

And more...
U.S. News - Half of Americans support gay marriage in new Gallup poll

You can pull all the polls out of your ass you want, but the simple historical FACT is that gay marriage goes down in flames every time it is put to a vote and supporters of gay marriage avoid putting it to the voters at all costs, like they did in New York.

Gay marriage is a sure loser for supporters in almost every state.

Nice electoral map tool:

Nonsense. Social issues are at the bottom of the list of voter priorities and gay marriage is at bottom of that list. It is unlikely to have any real impact on the election. However, it's a smart move for Obama. Taking the side of the underdog is always good for points and in this case national polls are showing a majority of Americans now favor legal gay marriage.

I hope you're right about the social issues.

I think the timing was terrible for him to announce this. Whether or not he is pandering; he looks like he is.
We always assume that everything a president says is done for political effect, however I think there are times when a president says things because he thinks they need to be said.

However, I think his statements will improve his support among gays and he isn't likely to do well in the Bible Belt anyway where anti-gay feeling runs high. On balance, I don't think he hurt or helped himself in the November election.

One thing that has come out in the polls is that voters that are in favor of legal gay marriage are not near as adamant in their beliefs as the opposition. In a general election, this works in favor of gays, but in limited elections it works against them.

Last edited:
Nice electoral map tool:

Yeah--if you can't get liberal California to vote for gay marriage--I imagine this will hurt him with many states that are much more closer to the belt on this issue.

Nice electoral map tool:

Yeah--if you can't get liberal California to vote for gay marriage--I imagine this will hurt him with many states that are much more closer to the belt on this issue.

And that is my point.

Florida is much less likely to go to Obama now because most of the Democrat constiuencies there are anti-gay marriage.

N Carolina, Virginia and Nevada are very likely lost and I think this also weakens him in Ohio and Pennsylvania. And what state that has gay marriage on the books actually got there by letting the people vote on the matter? I cant think of a single one. Even New York and Massachusettes did not put it to a popular vote.

He has really given a HUGE boost to Romney, and unless Romney does a McCain and steps on his wang rushing to some crisis or another and then screwing it up like McCain did with the TARP bailouts, I think Romney will win now, in all likelihood.

Last edited:
Nice electoral map tool:

Don't know...but it was the right thing to do. Well done, Mr. President! :clap2:

Don't know...but it was the right thing to do. Well done, Mr. President! :clap2:

It is rather peculiar that Dems define what is morally right by whether it is on their political agenda.

That is barbarism, but I doubt you can grasp what that means.

Forum List

Back