What Has Obama Done to his Elections Odds by Endorsing Gay Marriage?

Does Obama's Endorsement of Gay Marriage Hurt His Election Effort?

• Yes

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • Not significantly in either way

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Dunno

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters
Nice electoral map tool:
2012 Presidential Election Interactive Map and History of the Electoral College

This endorsement of Gay Marriage is going to cost Obama the South and most of the western states too. This puts Florida, Virginia, N Carolina, Nevada, and Colorado in the GOP column with another 72 EV bringing Romney's total to 263.

So Romney only needs either Ohio or Pennsylvania, or New Hampshire and Iowa together.

I think Romney will get PA and OH too for a total of 311 to 227.

Obama just shot himself in the arse.

By the time November gets here, this will have been long forgotten... we will be told the economy is booming and unemployment is at a six year low. Of course on November 7th the UE numbers will be revised upwards, but still, we will be told that everything is hunky dorey and so many will believe it.

This will have no effect on the election at all.

Immie

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

funny, I don't see "marriage" in there anywhere..

I may have cost him a million votes in California.

Around 70 per cent of the African-American voters who overwhelmingly backed Mr Obama also approved Proposition 8, helping pass the controversial ballot measure despite a small majority of whites voting against the ban on same-sex unions. Hispanic and Asian voters were split on the issue.
The state's black turnout jumped to 10 per cent of the electorate, up from 6 per cent in 2004, as voters inspired by Mr Obama flocked to the polls for the first time. The Democratic candidate took the state with 61 per cent of the popular vote.
Although the president-elect opposed the gay marriage ban, it appears his supporters may have helped pass the measure that was vociferously opposed by many white Democrats.

Barack Obama may have helped California Proposition 8 gay marriage ban pass - Telegraph

It's called leadership, doing the right thing, and not humoring haters.

So hiding your true position for four years and then embracing it after making an effort to avoid doing so until after your reelection and under pressure from special interest groups donating to your campaign is called leadership and doing the right thing?

Funny. I thought Leadership was being honest about your position and principles and courageously working to accomplish those principles. But hey, what do I know?

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Is anyone being denied any of those things? No. They are free to pursue happiness. If they choose to make relationships that arent marriages, who is to blame? Those who understand what marriage means or those who want to change the definition to avoid the consequences of their choices?

It's a blip in this campaign. It won't matter two weeks from now let alone in November.

He should have not said anything until Biden went out there and spoke up or he should have spoken up sooner.

Shoulda coulda woulda, nobody is perfect especially in presidential campaigns. Now Romney firing the gay guy might be a bigger issue.

It's a blip in this campaign. It won't matter two weeks from now let alone in November.

He should have not said anything until Biden went out there and spoke up or he should have spoken up sooner.

Shoulda coulda woulda, nobody is perfect especially in presidential campaigns. Now Romney firing the gay guy might be a bigger issue.

now you people letting Obama off the hook for this, then turn around and lie about Romney firing the gay dude...he resigned...are you people afraid to run a honest campaign?

yawn.....anything to distract from Obama's failed economic policies.......:lol:

Bottom line: The people that support Obama will continue to support Obama- this changes nothing.

I am a conservative who is in favor of Gay marriage. Mitt Romney opposes it. I will still vote for Romney.

Last edited:

Funny how politicians "evolve" in a way that suits them strategically.

I agree with the decision, but not so sure on the sincerity. They must have dragged out a few supercomputers to tabulate the various possible political scenarios of this one.

Should be interesting to see how the polls, um, evolve.

Nice electoral map tool:

This endorsement of Gay Marriage is going to cost Obama the South and most of the western states too. This puts Florida, Virginia, N Carolina, Nevada, and Colorado in the GOP column with another 72 EV bringing Romney's total to 263.

So Romney only needs either Ohio or Pennsylvania, or New Hampshire and Iowa together.

nope...the people who oppose gay marriage would never vote for him in the first place....

Its evident O is desperately trying to make it about social issues but considering the thumping he just took in NC and the dire state of our economy, he's grasping for anything now.

But given the 100% losing record Gay Marriage has, why would Obama opt to make this about that issue? He wants to alienate 60+% of the voters?

Nice electoral map tool:

nope...the people who oppose gay marriage would never vote for him in the first place....

That is wrong as I and several people I know who despise Romney are now leaning toward voting AGAINST Obama due to his stance on Gay Marriage.

The Santorum sector of the party is going to show up unless Romney moves so strong to the Etcha-sketch center he drives them away.

I am a conservative who is in favor of Gay marriage. .

There is nothing conservative about supporting gay marrriage so why do you both support it and refer to yourself as a conservative?

I am not a 100% conservative either though I sympathize on 2 of three social conservative issues.

now you people letting Obama off the hook for this, then turn around and lie about Romney firing the gay dude...he resigned...are you people afraid to run a honest campaign?

I dont think they are lying, they just naturally make these sorts of assumptions.

The Gay Marriage issue is death for those who support it and Obama is energizing social conservatives to turn out.

Forum List

Back