What Has Islam Given To Civilization?

I'll take Algebra for 500 please. Morons.

Sorry, Sparky, but algebra existed before Islam did. While the word "algebra" comes from Arabic roots, and most people consider it to have been invented by Arabic people, they would have been Arabic people living BEFORE the birth of Mohammed.

Furthermore, the development algebraic principles can be traced to more people than just the Arabs, most notably the Greeks and the Indians (dot, not feather). And both of those were ALSO pre-Mohammed.

Moron.

Muhammad Ali

Most all the doctors I've ever met......

You know a lot of Muslim doctors? Really? Because I've never met even one. The vast majority of doctors I know are Jewish, followed closely by Hispanics and Indians (dot, not feather, again). And, of course, the ever-present generic white folks.

I don't know, I think providing paper to the west was pretty significant. Without that there could have been no printing press and no enlightement.

Algebra has been mentioned.

Preserving alot of the classic period texts

The Public Hopsital

The Public library

Degree providing Universities

Where exactly do you think Europeans were learning many of the things they were learning from?

I already addressed algebra.

Paper existed even longer than algebra did, which means the credit goes to pre-Islamic people . . . by many centuries.

Muslims tend to be more likely to destroy valuable texts than to preserve them, and that's been true for their entire history. We know, for example, that countless works were lost for all time when Byzantium fell. In fact, most of the preservation of classical Latin works was done by the Christians.

Public hospitals should properly be credited to the Christians, as well. The Encyclopedia Britannica tells us that many religions were operating healing centers centuries before the birth of Christ, and our modern concept of the public hospital traces back to the Emperor Constantine, St. Basil of Caesarea, and St. Benedict of Nursia. During the Crusades, the Knights Hospitaler (note the similarity of name) established hospitals in the Middle East because disease was more dangerous than the enemy. The Arabs took the idea for hospitals from them.

As far as I can tell, public libraries as we know them are originally a European concept. Libraries in general, as repositories of written works, existed well before Islam did.

University degrees? A medieval European concept.

Where do I think Europeans were learning things? From the works preserved during the Dark Ages by the monks of the church and by the Byzantine Christians, from the Asians, and from their own studies and discoveries.

Paper has nothing to do with papyrus.

Untrue. The very word papyrus is derived from the word paper. So, too, is paper derived from papyrus.

First, we are talking about the actual source of paper. Not the source of paper's name.

Second, you really need to reread what you write prior to posting it.

Well, you DID tell us yourself that the source of paper, as you see it, was the Chinese, not the Muslims. Taking someone else's invention and publicizing it isn't the same as inventing it. So either way, paper came from someone else.

Did the Muslims invent Hummus?

hummus.jpg

Not sure, but I think that's pre-Islam, too.

Arabs made plenty of great contributions to civilization.....then Islam came along....

Arabs made plenty of great contributions to civilization.....then Islam came along....

Marrying first cousins predates Islam. Mohammad constrained this with his advice on 'Marrying in the Near" and how they (as followers in submission to Allah) should seek "To Marry in the Far."

As Translated by a Highly Pespected Hadith Interpreter of the Qu'ran

Holy Prophet (saw) himself who said, “Don’t marry a near relative (such as a first cousin) as in that case a child is born weak (i.e. defective)”[ quoted by Imam Ghazali (1058 - 1111) in ‘Ihya Ulum id Din’]

Page 32 of the Scan of Imam Ghazali - Section 2 Rules of Marriage (Qualifications of Brides)

Imam Ghazali in IH YA ULUM-ID-DIN said:
(8) Bride should not be a near relative as in that case sexual passion becomes less. The Prophet said: Don't marry a near relative as in that case a child is born weak. The Prophet said: He who gets his daughter married to a transgressor, cuts off his blood tie.

So this also predates Islam and is a main reason why Canada has legislated a ban on Sharia Law. Both the Christians and Jews of Canada got together and relinquished their allowed extralegal allowances.

No longer will anyone be able to leave the country to marry inside their close family (first cousin) and come back with sanctioned inbreeding.

Regardless of the medical/emotional/intellectual/psychological connections to such practices, there is the issue of Canadian Medicare footing the bill for the proven genetic physical deficiencies in high inbreeding coefficients.

Hard to disagree with this interpretation, yet the rate of first cousin consanguineous marriages are as high as seventy percent in Saudi Arabia. England:

Medical research suggests that while British Pakistanis are responsible for 3% of all births, they account for one in three British children born with genetic illnesses.

Click

“If you talk to any primary care worker they will tell you that levels of disability among the . . . Pakistani population are higher than the general population. And everybody knows it’s caused by first cousin marriage.

“That’s a cultural thing rather than a religious thing. It is not illegal in this country.

If Canada can change the laws to disallow this, possibly Britain might want to do it soon. Possibly other countries as well. Canadian Laws are quite modern since the country is really only two hundred and three years old. (1867)

Attempts to set up Sharia courts in Canada in 2005 were abandoned after protests. The Jewish community and the Catholic community did not want Muslims introducing Sharia into Canada, so they accepted the decision to ban all religious arbitration in Ontario, including their own respective tribunals.

Click

Muhammad Ali

nahhhhh....Mohamed ali is really just Cascious Clay ;)

MOST ALL doctors i had on my crappy insurance plans when i lived in florida, were non english speaking doctors....my first non muslim, english speaking doctor was when i moved up to massachusetts, dr bergman, an American Jew.....she was the best doctor I have ever had...!

Muhammad Ali

nahhhhh....Mohamed ali is really just Cascious Clay ;)

MOST ALL doctors i had on my crappy insurance plans when i lived in florida, were non english speaking doctors....my first non muslim, english speaking doctor was when i moved up to massachusetts, dr bergman, an American Jew.....she was the best doctor I have ever had...!

So's my wife. She's the best doctor I have ever had. :razz:

And she elbows me really, really hard if I say that when socializing. She says, "Not When I'm Around!"

But that's the best time. :eusa_angel:

Forum List

Back