What has happened to people's arithmetic skills???

Which is a bigger number? Staples 90,000 jobs created GS Industries 700 jobs LOST

• Hmmm Hard to say but I think 90,000 Jobs created is more!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I live in Bizzaro world and 700 jobs LOST is more important!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
Bain investment in Staples with over 90,000 jobs
Bain investment in GS Industries LOST 700 jobs.
===============================

Which is a bigger number 90,000 jobs because of Bain's investment in Staples..
or 700 jobs lost because of Bains investment in GS Industries?

hmmmmm.....
Which is bigger? 90,000 jobs created or 700 jobs lost????

For some reason that very simple point is lost on MANY people!

A look at Mitt Romney's job-creation record at Bain Capital - Los Angeles Times

So I guess the question is too difficult for people to answer i.e.
Which is a bigger number 90,000 people with jobs or 700 people with no jobs!

NO wonder there is unemployment! Evidently MOST people can't do simple adding and subtracting!

NO wonder there is unemployment! Evidently MOST people can't do simple adding and subtracting!

All I know is the government told me that they created 25 million jobs and a welfare dollar creates an extra forty cents.

With these numbers its vacation time.

90,000 minimum wage jobs with no healthcare? Who pays for their healthcare? Oops.

All I know is the government told me that they created 25 million jobs and a welfare dollar creates an extra forty cents.

So I take it that your arithmetic skills are sharp enough to know that 90,000 jobs is a bigger number then 700 jobs lost??

The whole point is the MSM and mathshriftless Democrats seem to think of the 115 companies Bain invested in more jobs were lost by these heartless evil capitalists!
YET more jobs (that is if 90,000 is more then 700???) were created then lost!

90,000 minimum wage jobs with no healthcare? Who pays for their healthcare? Oops.

Taking care of the people behind the Easy Button.
How do you become the world's best office products company? It starts with giving the people behind the Easy Button the peace of mind to be at their best. A minimum of only 20 hours per week is required for most benefits.

Health and Wellness
Staples offers medical, dental, life, dependent life, accidental death, vision and disability insurance. We also offer a pretax flexible spending account (FSA) with company match. Benefits are available to both full- and part-time workers and their families, including same-sex spouses and domestic partners.
Preparing for the future
The Employee Stock Purchase Plan allows all associates to purchase Staples stock at a 15% discount.

Our 401(k) Savings Plan lets you save for your retirement and reduce your taxable income. Staples matches 50% of all contributions (up to 6% of salary) in Staples stock.

Protecting you today
Associates qualify for discounts on a number of insurance plans, including homeowners, auto, legal, personal injury and pet (yes, pet) insurance. An identity theft protection program is also available.

Annual Scholarship Program
Reimburses you for eligible tuition, lab fees, books and related supplies and equipment when you enroll in a degree program or job-related course at an accredited college or university.

Staples University
Become a more inspiring leader. A more effective manager. Or a higher-performing salesperson. It's part of our entrepreneurial culture to promote from within. Staples University gives all associates (at all levels) the training to lead and succeed.

Work/Life Balance
Flex time and family-friendly scheduling are available for many positions throughout the company.

Our Employee Assistance Program helps connect associates to legal, support/counseling, financial and other resources.

Adoption assistance, family/medical leave and home loans are available.

Paid time off is offered to all associates.
Perks & Rewards

Staples Associate Rewards
Earn 15% back on most Staples purchases and 20% at Copy & Print Centers or Copy & Print Shops.

Associate Referral Program
Earn a bonus each time you refer a new associate to Staples.

Shopping Discounts
Discounts on theater tickets. Special savings from premium online retailers. You even get associate rates on Verizon Wireless products and services. It pays to be one of the people behind the Easy Button

Staples® Employment

that was easy

:rofl:

So I take it that your arithmetic skills are sharp enough to know that 90,000 jobs is a bigger number then 700 jobs lost??

The whole point is the MSM and mathshriftless Democrats seem to think of the 115 companies Bain invested in more jobs were lost by these heartless evil capitalists!
YET more jobs (that is if 90,000 is more then 700???) were created then lost!

If we work with the premise that bain capital destroys jobs, then Obamas recent appointment proves democrats favor destroying jobs.

I refuse to let them asswipes have it both ways.

Obama needs to go back to school for a refresher course in math...
:mad:
Obama healthcare could worsen U.S. debt
10 Apr.`12 WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Instead of curbing government spending, President Barack Obama's healthcare law could add up to $530 billion to the federal debt over ten years, a Republican expert on U.S. government benefit programs said on Tuesday.
A study by Charles Blahous, a George Mason University research fellow and the Republican trustee for the Medicare and Social Security entitlement programs for the elderly, challenged the administration's contention that the 2010 law would reduce healthcare costs. But the Obama administration defended the law as a cost-saver and sharply criticized the report by Blahous, an economic policy adviser under former President George W. Bush. Known as the "Affordable Care Act," or by conservatives as "Obamacare," the measure to expand health insurance for millions of Americans is considered Obama's signature domestic policy achievement.

The Supreme Court is weighing whether Congress overstepped its authority to regulate commerce in approving the law. The justices heard arguments in the high-stakes case two weeks ago. Republican presidential candidates have promised to repeal the law if one of them wins the White House in the November election. Conservatives denounce the sweeping overhaul as an unwarranted government intrusion. Obama and the Democrats believe the law will control skyrocketing costs and curtail government "red ink."

White House health adviser Jeanne Lambrew said Blahous' analysis wrongly charges that some savings are "double counted." She said government estimates from the Office of Management and Budget and from the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office show the 2010 law would lower federal deficits over a 10 year period. "This new math fits the old pattern of mischaracterizations about the Affordable Care Act when official estimates show the health care law reduces the deficit," Lambrew, deputy assistant to the president for health policy, wrote in a blog post on the White House website.

But Blahous, who also served as the deputy director of the National Economic Council under Bush, said in his research that the law is expected to boost net federal spending by more than $1.15 trillion and add between $340 billion and $530 billion to deficits between 2012-21. "Relative to previous law, the (healthcare law) both exacerbates projected federal deficits and increases an already unsustainable federal commitment to health care spending," he concluded. The analysis, first reported by the Washington Post late on Monday, also comes a month after the Congressional Budget Office cut the estimated net cost of the healthcare law by $48 billion to $1.08 trillion through 2021.

Source

Taking care of the people behind the Easy Button.
How do you become the world's best office products company? It starts with giving the people behind the Easy Button the peace of mind to be at their best. A minimum of only 20 hours per week is required for most benefits.

Health and Wellness
Staples offers medical, dental, life, dependent life, accidental death, vision and disability insurance. We also offer a pretax flexible spending account (FSA) with company match. Benefits are available to both full- and part-time workers and their families, including same-sex spouses and domestic partners.
Preparing for the future
The Employee Stock Purchase Plan allows all associates to purchase Staples stock at a 15% discount.

Our 401(k) Savings Plan lets you save for your retirement and reduce your taxable income. Staples matches 50% of all contributions (up to 6% of salary) in Staples stock.

Protecting you today
Associates qualify for discounts on a number of insurance plans, including homeowners, auto, legal, personal injury and pet (yes, pet) insurance. An identity theft protection program is also available.

Annual Scholarship Program
Reimburses you for eligible tuition, lab fees, books and related supplies and equipment when you enroll in a degree program or job-related course at an accredited college or university.

Staples University
Become a more inspiring leader. A more effective manager. Or a higher-performing salesperson. It's part of our entrepreneurial culture to promote from within. Staples University gives all associates (at all levels) the training to lead and succeed.

Work/Life Balance
Flex time and family-friendly scheduling are available for many positions throughout the company.

Our Employee Assistance Program helps connect associates to legal, support/counseling, financial and other resources.

Adoption assistance, family/medical leave and home loans are available.

Paid time off is offered to all associates.
Perks & Rewards

Staples Associate Rewards
Earn 15% back on most Staples purchases and 20% at Copy & Print Centers or Copy & Print Shops.

Associate Referral Program
Earn a bonus each time you refer a new associate to Staples.

Shopping Discounts
Discounts on theater tickets. Special savings from premium online retailers. You even get associate rates on Verizon Wireless products and services. It pays to be one of the people behind the Easy Button

Staples® Employment

that was easy

:rofl:

So is Rdummy! ;)

hmmmmm.....

Did the growth of Staples put any competing retailers out of business? You have to count those, and any other related job losses against gains at Staples,

that is, of course, if you're really concerned about the MATH.

GSI didnt lose 700 jobs. Bain preserved those jobs for 10 years. Call it Bain's record of "creating or saving jobs" to use Obamaspeak.
The guy quoted was right: they are not in the job-creation business. They are in the business of creating wealth for their investors. As a result of that there was overall more job creation because there was more efficient use of capital.
We could create thousands of jobs by re-opening redundant steel and auto plants. But that isn't going to help anyone long term.

What's happened to people's arithmetic skills?

The Public Education system.

I would have to disagree and maybe this has been said later in the thread, but what has happened to people's arithmetic skills is really kind of simple... the invention of the pocket calculator followed by the computer plays an important role in the decline of individual arithmetic skills. People don't need to think when they figure out an equation any longer, they simply go to the computer and let the computer do the work.

Now, in response to the OP, that is just silly and has little to do with people's arithmetic skills. I'm sure everyone here understands that 90,000 is more than 700, but we're talking politics here. And, such examples, are not the entire picture of what I understand Bain Capital did. It seems the comparison of the two firms, 90,000 jobs gained at Staples compared to 700 lost at GSI, might be a damned good marketing tool, but what about all the other losses?

Immie

Last edited:

hmmmmm.....

What is bigger 90,000 jobs created or 120,000 jobs lost???

You see those propagandists (I call them the media) tout the 90,000 jobs created but fail to mention the 120,000 jobs lost...

When republicans are president the media flips the script and focuses on the 120,000 jobs lost and makes no mention of the 90,000 jobs created.

Of course in reality 30,000 jobs were lost.....

I only read papers today for "entertainment."

Forum List

Back