What happened to USMB?

Still can be related.. There's an amazing amount of self-scheduled "maintenance" for Xenforo that happens overnight. And this is stuff like tallying up everyones post counts, "award points", infractions, database compacting, etc. So it does get slow at night somewhat naturally, Not HARD down like it was, but that is now explained by my post a few pages ago. Because if there was material linked to a "bad host", it would probably hang up the maintenance as well. Especially if it was newly linked images.

And from the engine room, they're still trying to determine if there was any malicious intent from the "bad host(s)".

So we don't KNOW yet how much member loading is an element. Remember that we are carrying literally THOUSANDS of "abandoned accounts". These include the new members you folks scare away on their first day here in Intros :cranky: -- the permanently banned, and just the "missing".. And to some extent that adds to the normal auto tasks. We also haven't emptied the Main Dumpster since about ever. We have threads that are older than some of your kids, STORAGE isn't the issue, but SPEED might be.. Or TUNING all the variables for more speed.
If it is determined there was "malicious intent," is there a computer cops place you can call? Do they get arrested for something? It seems like people get away with murder in cyber space (like the countries that earn money by locking up your system and demanding $$ to give it back).
Are you serious? cyber attacks probably occur thousands of times a day. The attack could come from anywhere in the world. If you could capture the IP address of the perpetrator it would probably be a service provider with tens of thousands of clients, a university, a large corporate office, or a public computer. Even if you could track the perpetrator to an individual computer or server, you would sill have to track it a person using the equipment and prove they did it.
So they get away with outright blackmail, with jamming sites so folks can't use it--which is equivalent to blocking the sidewalk to customers can't enter a store, and stealing information which is the equivalent of breaking in and taking files--theft.

I guess they'd better figure out how to track these guys and fast, or there will be no security at all anywhere.
I'm far more concerned about attacks that could disable huge sections of the internet backbone, gps satellites, choke points in our financial networks, power plants, and of course our military. These attacks could create national disasters like we have never seen.

The main problem is the Internet was never designed to be secure. It was designed to be an open and fault-tolerant system. All security is an add on and much of it does not work well with other security components. There is no central control. No security police. Frankly, I'm surprised the damn thing works at all.

You seem to know more about it than I so I will probably sound dumber than usual on this....but here it goes.

Whenever I see/hear a commercial about a service "scanning the dark web" for you social security number, I laugh. Experian, the company I'm talking about but I think Lifelock and Discover say the same thing, would have to access thousands of web sites to see if my SSN is in this "dark" website's data base wouldn't they? Wouldn't the scan be essentially useless unless they are registered with whatever website they are looking into?

Experian is joke. They got hacked and compromised 100s of thousands of COMPLETE FINANCIAL histories for people --- then had the cajones to offer "dark web scans" for you at a PRICE??? Hang them all.

What they "scan" is the commerce sites on the dark web. This is the Ebay of the criminal web theft world. When you see those SPAM ads that get thru on USMB for "hot fresh" identity records -- that's the dark web "black market" at work. It's not a matter of "registering" because it's small criminal enterprise that shops there for credit card and financial gold. So it's easy to "browse". Or easy to get in on getting a reference from someone already with access to that criminal marketplace.

If the fear is for the forum itself (DDoS) etc. use the Cloudflare service. That should insulate the forum from most issues.

Still can be related.. There's an amazing amount of self-scheduled "maintenance" for Xenforo that happens overnight. And this is stuff like tallying up everyones post counts, "award points", infractions, database compacting, etc. So it does get slow at night somewhat naturally, Not HARD down like it was, but that is now explained by my post a few pages ago. Because if there was material linked to a "bad host", it would probably hang up the maintenance as well. Especially if it was newly linked images.

And from the engine room, they're still trying to determine if there was any malicious intent from the "bad host(s)".

So we don't KNOW yet how much member loading is an element. Remember that we are carrying literally THOUSANDS of "abandoned accounts". These include the new members you folks scare away on their first day here in Intros :cranky: -- the permanently banned, and just the "missing".. And to some extent that adds to the normal auto tasks. We also haven't emptied the Main Dumpster since about ever. We have threads that are older than some of your kids, STORAGE isn't the issue, but SPEED might be.. Or TUNING all the variables for more speed.
If it is determined there was "malicious intent," is there a computer cops place you can call? Do they get arrested for something? It seems like people get away with murder in cyber space (like the countries that earn money by locking up your system and demanding $$ to give it back).
Are you serious? cyber attacks probably occur thousands of times a day. The attack could come from anywhere in the world. If you could capture the IP address of the perpetrator it would probably be a service provider with tens of thousands of clients, a university, a large corporate office, or a public computer. Even if you could track the perpetrator to an individual computer or server, you would sill have to track it a person using the equipment and prove they did it.
So they get away with outright blackmail, with jamming sites so folks can't use it--which is equivalent to blocking the sidewalk to customers can't enter a store, and stealing information which is the equivalent of breaking in and taking files--theft.

I guess they'd better figure out how to track these guys and fast, or there will be no security at all anywhere.
I'm far more concerned about attacks that could disable huge sections of the internet backbone, gps satellites, choke points in our financial networks, power plants, and of course our military. These attacks could create national disasters like we have never seen.

The main problem is the Internet was never designed to be secure. It was designed to be an open and fault-tolerant system. All security is an add on and much of it does not work well with other security components. There is no central control. No security police. Frankly, I'm surprised the damn thing works at all.

You seem to know more about it than I so I will probably sound dumber than usual on this....but here it goes.

Whenever I see/hear a commercial about a service "scanning the dark web" for you social security number, I laugh. Experian, the company I'm talking about but I think Lifelock and Discover say the same thing, would have to access thousands of web sites to see if my SSN is in this "dark" website's data base wouldn't they? Wouldn't the scan be essentially useless unless they are registered with whatever website they are looking into?
When they talk about scanning the dark web, I don't think they are talking about humans doing it manually. I believe they would use some type of search engine employing bots.
I really, don't know anything about the dark web but I would assume that the sites would take great precautions against any bots. After all, they aren't interested in appearing in Google search pages or the pages of any search engine.

When they talk about scanning the dark web, I don't think they are talking about humans doing it manually. I believe they would use some type of search engine employing bots.
I really, don't know anything about the dark web but I would assume that the sites would take great precautions against any bots. After all, they aren't interested in appearing in Google search pages or the pages of any search engine.

The whole business of scanning for your SSN would look to be very suspicious to me.

The whole business of scanning for your SSN would look to be very suspicious to me.

It's no different than an algorithm for a search engine like Google that takes whatever information that is put into the search bar and then uses bots on sites like this one to look for information based on those key words.

It's no different than an algorithm for a search engine like Google that takes whatever information that is put into the search bar and then uses bots on sites like this one to look for information based on those key words.

If someone breaks into a web site and steals personnel information, I can't believe they would post it on web pages available to bots or users. I think it's more likely they would store the data offline and make it available upon purchase. If not offline, then in a protected database.

Last edited:

The reason it's DARK is because you can't GET THERE without a map.. These are UNmapped subnets that are ONLY accessible thru special networks and services. Once you're INTO one of these subnets, It's like a Middle Eastern bazaar. And it truly is a Walmart for rip-off artists and thieves. So if you're IN -- it easy to shop.

I know it’s not the number of users on at any one time because the slow-downs are over night and presumably, most people are doing something other than posting on message boards at 0300.

:) Just an example of a truly unregulated free market system that generated fast and amazing technology but definitely includes some bumps, bruises, and downsides. I do NOT want this thread to go political on us, but I have to say I am cheering a renewed interest in space programs and technology because allowing other nations to become far more advanced than we are makes us much more vulnerable than we already are.

:) Just an example of a truly unregulated free market system that generated fast and amazing technology but definitely includes some bumps, bruises, and downsides. I do NOT want this thread to go political on us, but I have to say I am cheering a renewed interest in space programs and technology because allowing other nations to become far more advanced than we are makes us much more vulnerable than we already are.

The internet is still pretty much anarchy. Best example we have of spontaneous organization and governance. Probably should remain that way. But the law enforcement side of it is a different story. White hats against the black hats kinda works. Having distributed surveillance thru hundreds of private orgs works better than a single agency. But at some point, in some "zones" -- you need to call the cops..

th

*****CHUCKLE*****

:cool:

Forum List

Back