What happened to THREE separate branches of Government?

emilynghiem

Constitutionalist / Universalist
Jan 21, 2010
National Freedmen's Town District
"We No Longer Have Three Branches of Government

I served in Congress for 16 years and taught civics for 13 more. Our government no longer looks like the one I told my students about—or the one the Constitution describes."

By MICKEY EDWARDS

February 27, 2017

We No Longer Have Three Branches of Government

========================
This teacher explains it well. And especially when govt is run poorly, teaching Civics and especially Constitutional govt still ARE the KEY -- we have to understand what the system is DESIGNED to do, before we can address, correct and prevent problems that have derailed that. For people to be equal requires EQUAL knowledge of the laws, and limits of authority, if we expect to defend our rights and beliefs, and hold govt authority/public policy accountable; otherwise, if we give up, and don't even teach much less follow the Constitution, how can we hold party and govt leaders responsible for following these laws.
=============================
For more than a dozen years, teaching government classes to graduate students at Harvard and Princeton, I filled my students’ heads with facts that no longer seem to be true. They have become “alternate facts,” or perhaps just outdated ones.

It has been my habit to begin each semester by slowly taking students through the Constitution, each article and section in turn, emphasizing not only each provision but why it was included. Fundamental to the constitutional process, I taught, was the unique delineation of authority and responsibility: the separation of powers that so cleanly distinguished American government from those that had gone before it. There were three branches, independent of each other, with varied duties and roughly equal. The greater power—overtaxing, spending, deciding whether to go to war, confirming members of the president’s Cabinet and justices of the Supreme Court—had been placed in the Congress, I said, because while the Founders had created a republic, they also added a sprinkling of democracy: The people would choose who would do the actual governing. I would underscore this point by noting the provisions that made clear the Framers’ deliberate rejection of a parliamentary system like the ones they had known in Europe, where legislative and executive power were joined. Here, it was to be the people, not the parties, that ruled, I told my students.

I believed it to be true—certainly it was what the Founders intended, and it was pretty close to the reality when I was first elected to Congress 40 years ago. But it’s no longer accurate. Instead of three equal, independent branches, each a check on the others, today’s federal government is, for practical purposes, made up of either two branches or one, depending on how you do the math. The modern presidency has become a giant centrifuge, sucking power from both Congress and the states, making de facto law through regulation and executive order. Yet the growing power of the executive is not merely a case of presidential power lust. For decades, the Supreme Court has consistently held that on most policy questions, foreign as well as domestic, statute trumps fiat (as recently as 2014’s decision Zivotofsky v. Kerry, the court declared that “the executive is not free from the ordinary controls and checks of Congress merely because foreign affairs are at issue”). But if Congress subordinates its constitutional duties to political concerns, what then?"

Last edited:
There is still a separation of powers.

However when all 4 are controlled by the same political party, it can seem like there is none.

Presently the Senate is GOP. But the DEM's still have the power to filibuster, which has been a procedure allowed since the early 1800's but not a part of the Constitution. The only super-majorities required in the Constitution is (1) to amend it or (2) to impeach the POTUS.

Presently the House is GOP as well, but this could easily change in 2 more years.

Presently the POTUS is a RINO. He has flip flopped over the years on politics. It is hard to know what he believes now except that he probably wants to be re-elected in 4 more years so therefore he cannot let the GOP run wild over the poor, working poor, and middle classes.

Presently the SCOTUS is split. The newest nominee Gorsuch is probably a swing voter. He clerked under Justice Kennedy who has always been a swing voter.

So although it may seem that the GOP runs everything now, it really does not.

Whether or not we would like it to be otherwise, the U.S. Constitution is a set of rules made by humans for humans. That means living humans. The makers are gone, their motivations and explanations with them. We have, therefore, those of us here today who have to live in today's world. One thing the 'makers' would agree with is that we live our life and times as boldly as they.

Whether or not we would like it to be otherwise, the U.S. Constitution is a set of rules made by humans for humans. That means living humans. The makers are gone, their motivations and explanations with them. We have, therefore, those of us here today who have to live in today's world. One thing the 'makers' would agree with is that we live our life and times as boldly as they.
I donno ...

Rebelling from the King Of England at the height of his power is definitely bold.

We have never had to do anything that bold ever since.

Lincoln acted boldly, no matter what judgment we may hold of his boldness. T.R. was pretty bold, as was his epoch (Trust Busting, 'empire' building; again, debate is clearly possible). Taking on the mantle of world directorship after WWII was bold. Not well done, but bold.
There was a great deal of water and time between North America and England in George the Third's reign, and plenty of space to disappear into if worse came to worst.

Dear there4eyeM
And what makes these principles so enduring and endearing
is they are based on "natural laws" that govern humans by conscience.
We by our nature are "social animals" and we respond "in relation"
to each other - as family, as partners, as packs, as tribes/groups, and societal institutions and nations.

The laws we have on our books, in our history and in our culture -- such as the tradition of "due process" in a justice system that presumes innocence and allows for defense if guilt and conviction are going to be proven "in accordance with the rules" -- are something that ALL people naturally demand. We all want justice for ourselves, corrections for wrongs done to us, and redress for our grievances. And our system captures that process in what we call "Constitutional" terms and principles: the concepts of consent of the governed, no taxation without representation, right to petition and right to trial and defense, no deprivation of liberty without due process, preservation of people and states rights, equal protection of the laws, and freedom of speech press religion assembly.

This isn't some random set of rules "people made up", any more than we "made up" the laws in physics or other workings in the universe.

We did develop the "language" for these laws, by human trial and error. Many people and nations before us went through centuries of war and peace, social evolution, spiritual economic and political development to organize and capture these laws in a workable system that has borrowed from many other traditions, not just Europeans but also Native Americans, where the combined influence of their sources also touches every tribe and nation on the planet.

Our Constitution manages to spell out three interactive roles/branches of govt/power that "check and balance each other" and which define and encompass the political/democratic process collectively.

In America, our govt laws codify and make statutory these principles and systems of operation. But the "laws" of self-governance exist on their own.

All people, all humanity still relates to and are affected by the universal self-existent "natural" laws that our written laws are based on. If we continue on this evolutionary path toward self-government, and as we reach social maturity as humanity striving for sustainable economy and society, our laws we have now can be taught as a "universal system" of managing both local, national and global relations. It is amazing to see this learning curve reach fruition, bringing together the generations before us and after us on this trajectory driven by human conscience, and the will to achieve lasting peace and justice.

Last edited:
Potentiality can take endless forms. That something exists only means that it can, not that it is the only way.

I served in Congress for 16 years and taught civics for 13 more. Our government no longer looks like the one I told my students about—or the one the Constitution describes."

By MICKEY EDWARDS

February 27, 2017

========================
This teacher explains it well. And especially when govt is run poorly, teaching Civics and especially Constitutional govt still ARE the KEY -- we have to understand what the system is DESIGNED to do, before we can address, correct and prevent problems that have derailed that. For people to be equal requires EQUAL knowledge of the laws, and limits of authority, if we expect to defend our rights and beliefs, and hold govt authority/public policy accountable; otherwise, if we give up, and don't even teach much less follow the Constitution, how can we hold party and govt leaders responsible for following these laws.
For more than a dozen years, teaching government classes to graduate students at Harvard and Princeton, I filled my students’ heads with facts that no longer seem to be true. They have become “alternate facts,” or perhaps just outdated ones.

It has been my habit to begin each semester by slowly taking students through the Constitution, each article and section in turn, emphasizing not only each provision but why it was included. Fundamental to the constitutional process, I taught, was the unique delineation of authority and responsibility: the separation of powers that so cleanly distinguished American government from those that had gone before it. There were three branches, independent of each other, with varied duties and roughly equal. The greater power—overtaxing, spending, deciding whether to go to war, confirming members of the president’s Cabinet and justices of the Supreme Court—had been placed in the Congress, I said, because while the Founders had created a republic, they also added a sprinkling of democracy: The people would choose who would do the actual governing. I would underscore this point by noting the provisions that made clear the Framers’ deliberate rejection of a parliamentary system like the ones they had known in Europe, where legislative and executive power were joined. Here, it was to be the people, not the parties, that ruled, I told my students.

I believed it to be true—certainly it was what the Founders intended, and it was pretty close to the reality when I was first elected to Congress 40 years ago. But it’s no longer accurate. Instead of three equal, independent branches, each a check on the others, today’s federal government is, for practical purposes, made up of either two branches or one, depending on how you do the math. The modern presidency has become a giant centrifuge, sucking power from both Congress and the states, making de facto law through regulation and executive order. Yet the growing power of the executive is not merely a case of presidential power lust. For decades, the Supreme Court has consistently held that on most policy questions, foreign as well as domestic, statute trumps fiat (as recently as 2014’s decision Zivotofsky v. Kerry, the court declared that “the executive is not free from the ordinary controls and checks of Congress merely because foreign affairs are at issue”). But if Congress subordinates its constitutional duties to political concerns, what then?"
We really have just one branch it called the Surprise Court. The rule from the bench as Kings, they change laws while expanding others, as directed by the Shadow Gov, directed by Wealthy leaders. This has been shown by the income they have stashed away. The leave office by death, or health. The try to leave with the knowledge that they will be replaced by others who are like themselves. The balance is hard to keep for you never know when one will die out of sequence. Just by luck the last one who died almost did it at a very bad time, but by luck only it was at the end of a Progressive President who by History knew he was not going to be able to appoint a Progressive one and throw the Court into a big balance shift. The next justice to "leave" may shift the court into a better position of balance.

By MICKEY EDWARDS

February 27, 2017

========================

We really have just one branch it called the Surprise Court. The rule from the bench as Kings, they change laws while expanding others, as directed by the Shadow Gov, directed by Wealthy leaders. This has been shown by the income they have stashed away. The leave office by death, or health. The try to leave with the knowledge that they will be replaced by others who are like themselves. The balance is hard to keep for you never know when one will die out of sequence. Just by luck the last one who died almost did it at a very bad time, but by luck only it was at the end of a Progressive President who by History knew he was not going to be able to appoint a Progressive one and throw the Court into a big balance shift. The next justice to "leave" may shift the court into a better position of balance.

Well, it seems to me the court follows the country rather than leads it so I don't worry about them too much although am praying that Sir Donald gets 2 more appointments!!

Trump is attacking the judicial branch with his conservative friends...

Yes but there's more to it than that.

Throughout his life, trump has never had to earn anything, never had to get along with others, never been held accountable. Even when he has lost court cases, it has had no real effect on him. His daddy left him enough money that, in spite of one UUUghly expensive failure after another, it simply does not touch him.

He's been breaking the law every single day since before he took office. He looked down that orange nose and informed the country that, because he is president, it's not possible for him to break the law.

The GOP sees trump as their avenue to get taxes slashed for the wealthy and raised on the rest of us. He will rubber stamp every bill they send him, especially if it un-does something President Obama did that benefits the working class.

That's the biggest reason Repubs will not stand up to him or stop him from the insane things he's doing.

Another bigly reason is what we saw in that bizarre ring-kissing ceremony where his "cabinet" praised him like he's a dictator - because he is. Nobody crosses trump and gets away with it. He has left a trail of bankrupted enemies and none of his minions want to be added to that long list.

In some very important ways, we are now a banana republic and well on our way to losing our standing in the world.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

something President Obama did that benefits the working class.
Like ship 10 million working class jobs to China by making America's corporate tax the highest in the world,like inviting 30 million Mexicans in to take working-class jobs from Americans and bid down wages, like presiding over the worst economic recovery in American history ?????

Forum List

Back