What happened to the compassionate conservative?

Oct 18, 2008
Bowling Green Ohio
Was watching some of the Charlie Rose show on PBS the other night and they had the lone republican leaning independent of MSNBC Joe Scarborough and he brought up that what he misses most and sees missing from todays conservative republicans is the compassion of the Reagan years and sees that as a major hole that needs to be filled and went on to talk about how all he sees is hate out of todays party and I have to agree. Get rid of the hate filled fear mongering propaganda machine that is todays conservative and get back to the true roots of what conservatism is all about and you guys will bounce back. Stop listening to the likes of Rush Limbaugh and Shawn Hannity and think about what conservatism was founded on and you can get some control back.

Conservatism has always been compassionate. The so called "Compassionate conservatism" President Bush ran on is merely a code name for liberal lite.

I dont think the base thats left can manage that.

They are so unfair they would ban you from speaking if they had a chance.

All the attempts to silence anyone have come from the left.

Who exactly is controling the government trying to intimidate people to be quiet about overspeading by labeling them terrorists?

Compassion of Republicans during the Reagan years?

Where did you see this again?? Besides Idealism, there is no other difference between todays conservatives and Reagans conservatives. What kind of crap-o-ganda are you trying to sell here?

Who exactly is controling the government trying to intimidate people to be quiet about overspeading by labeling them terrorists?

ultimately it is the council of foreign relations. and the united nations..and their one world government agenda

Where did you see this again?? Besides Idealism, there is no other difference between todays conservatives and Reagans conservatives. What kind of crap-o-ganda are you trying to sell here?

Besides Idealism, there is no other difference between todays Centrist-Soc:Liberal and *insert president name here* Centrist-Soc:Liberal. What kind of crap-o-ganda are you trying to sell here?

Besides Idealism, there is no other difference between todays Centrist-Soc:Liberal and *insert president name here* Centrist-Soc:Liberal. What kind of crap-o-ganda are you trying to sell here?

Economic centrists
Socially liberal.

Remember--a Conservative is economic to the Right
Socially authoritarian.

Last edited:

What's more compassionate? Telling people that they can accomplish great things if they work hard and try. Or telling them that they can't do a damn thing without the government.

What's more compassionate? Telling people that they can accomplish great things if they work hard and try. Or telling them that they can't do a damn thing without the government.

Again--more goop comes out of the Brainwashed zombies mouth!!

Who ever told you (or anyone you know) that you cannot do a damn thing without government.

I am waiting for actual quotes and verifiable people please!!

Economic centrists
Socially liberal.

Socially authoritarian.

That whooooooshing sound you hear is my point flying above your head.

Still waiting--Avatar

Or has it never been pointed out to you that was a unfounded assumption created to steer the masses into one of the two political arms??

Let me guest--You do not trust Government, but you love private "for profit" corporations.

Has it ever occured to you not to trust either??

Economic centrists
Socially liberal.

Socially authoritarian.

That whooooooshing sound you hear is my point flying above your head.

You do not have a point.

Yes, One should lament the passing of the "Compassionate" conservative. Thank your left wing hatred for ending them.

They are really pissed off and aren't going to take it anymore.

Who ever told you (or anyone you know) that you cannot do a damn thing without government.

I never really understood what a compassionate conservative is or was. Something that rang true the very first time that I heard it was said by John Wooden, long time coach of the UCLA Basketball dynasty of the late 60's, early 70's. He was a very strong believer in the importance of the execution of the little things. At the beginning of his first practice every year, he taught his teams how to put on their socks and tie their shoes.

Whatever it was he was selling, they were buying it and won something like 10 or 11 National Championships in 11 or 12 years. Really quite amazing. Today, a repeat is amazing, but to maintain that kind of excellence for that many years is unheard of before or since.

Anyway, he preached truisms that most of his players can repeat word for word, usually smiling as they do so. One was something like, doing something for someone that they can and should do for themselves is the worst thing that you can do to anyone.

To the extent that you agree with that statement is probably the extent to which you are a Conservative.

There were never a thing called "Compassionate" Conservative.

Now--Bleeding Heart Libertarians do exists!!! But no such thing as a "compassionate" conservative.

If you are a conservative with compassion, then you really need to reconsider why you are a conservative.

I never really understood what a compassionate conservative is or was. Something that rang true the very first time that I heard it was said by John Wooden, long time coach of the UCLA Basketball dynasty of the late 60's, early 70's. He was a very strong believer in the importance of the execution of the little things. At the beginning of his first practice every year, he taught his teams how to put on their socks and tie their shoes.

Whatever it was he was selling, they were buying it and won something like 10 or 11 National Championships in 11 or 12 years. Really quite amazing. Today, a repeat is amazing, but to maintain that kind of excellence for that many years is unheard of before or since.

Anyway, he preached truisms that most of his players can repeat word for word, usually smiling as they do so. One was something like, doing something for someone that they can and should do for themselves is the worst thing that you can do to anyone.

To the extent that you agree with that statement is probably the extent to which you are a Conservative.

1.Find some one that will argue against that statement heart and soul.

Good luck. I think you have better chances of finding the Easter bunny or Leprechauns.

2) Explain why only conservatives will agree with this?

By the way--I am not a conservative.

Forum List

Back