What government programs have you benefited from?

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
I recall one or two libertarians...or conservatives (one won't admit to being either one) admitting they took government subsidized student loans, admitting they got back more tax money than they paid in, admitted that as kids they lived off of disability social security from a parents death, admitted they got free lunch because they qualified for it...and various other benefits and it got me wondering.

Here's my list, as far as I recall.

6 years of public school.
Clean water.
Uncontaminated food.
4 years publicly funded school buses.
Military protection.
Clear roads.
$250 from FEMA for hurricane damage.
Federally underwritten flood insurance.
4 years of publicly funded school for each of two kids.
1 year of bus services for 1 kid.
Scholarship for 1 kid underwritten by the state.

:eusa_eh:

I recall one or two libertarians...or conservatives (one won't admit to being either one) admitting they took government subsidized student loans, admitting they got back more tax money than they paid in, admitted that as kids they lived off of disability social security from a parents death, admitted they got free lunch because they qualified for it...and various other benefits and it got me wondering.

Clean water.
Uncontaminated food.
Military protection.
Clear roads.

if you got to keep all your tax dollars could you have paid for all that yourself.....

Clean water.
Uncontaminated food.
Military protection.
Clear roads.

if you got to keep all your tax dollars could you have paid for all that yourself.....
Military protection? Clean water? Clear roads?

Doubtful.

Why don't you tell us what you've benefited from.

Clean water.
Uncontaminated food.
Military protection.
Clear roads.

Doubtful.

what do we need military protection from.....you can make your own clean water.....we had clear roads before taxes....

other than city infrastructure not much that i can think of....i am a rich white dude that is a "partner" in a corportation....i pay for other peoples shit....

Clean water.
Uncontaminated food.
Military protection.
Clear roads.

:lol:

As if they would even be available in anarchy.

Highways
Schools
Colleges
National, state, and local parks and recreation areas
State licensing for people who perform services like health care, hair cuts, dietary services, legal services, teaching...and whatever other license is out there including insurance agents, and driver licensing and testing.
Food inspection
Police forces, prisons, reformatories, putlic service oversight
Victim advocacy
Consumer advocacy
Courts
State hospitals that treat our persistently and criminally insane
Representation in local, state, and federal government
Administrative reguation and oversight of all products from paper to plastic, from soup to nuts

A full scholarship to Vanderbilt and a guaranteed job upon graduation.

Doubtful.

what do we need military protection from.....you can make your own clean water.....we had clear roads before taxes....

other than city infrastructure not much that i can think of....i am a rich white dude that is a "partner" in a corportation....i pay for other peoples shit....
Ah, I see...you believe that if you didn't pay taxes you could do it all on your own.

A valid argument but I doubt it.

Clean water.
Uncontaminated food.
Military protection.
Clear roads.

Me, Tricare (14.95 a month), GI bill, Tuition assistance when I was in, Scholarship for my daughter, disability retirement pay from the gov't, retirement pay, good roads...blah blah blah...there are a lot of things. A lot.

Last edited:

Doubtful.

If your house was bombed by terrorists, you would be able to take care of that by yourself I am sure, there rich white person.....THE FIRST THING YOU WOULD EXPECT WOULD BE FOR OBAMA AND HIS ARMY TO PROTECT YOU.

What do you need military protection from......lol If an armed militia came up from Mexico and concentrated on your rich white ass, who would you call? Your rich white buddies. Here a hint, they are standing behind a military line.

Last edited:

Doubtful.

Ah, I see...you believe that if you didn't pay taxes you could do it all on your own.

if everyone didn't pay taxes and everything was private you would pay as you go....

but that isn't our system.....we basically have a giant pyramid scheme....the government controls certain things and takes your money and tries to run a private business....in my opinion they don't do a very good job....they spend way to much of my money on other countries and not enough on our citizens and our country.....

Doubtful.

If your house was bombed by terrorists, you would be able to take care of that by yourself I am sure, there rich white person.....THE FIRST THING YOU WOULD EXPECT WOULD BE FOR OBAMA AND HIS ARMY TO PROTECT YOU.

What do you need military protection from......lol

well if the government didn't have taxes to blow on foreign countries and military bases around the world not sure the terrorists would care about us.....

but if terrorists bombed my house i would be dead....so a really wouldn't care.....

the goverment doesn't protect me ... neither does the police....they find the bodies....

if everyone didn't pay taxes and everything was private you would pay as you go....

but that isn't our system.....we basically have a giant pyramid scheme....the government controls certain things and takes your money and tries to run a private business....in my opinion they don't do a very good job....they spend way to much of my money on other countries and not enough on our citizens and our country.....
Our founding fathers would have never passed Land Acts etc, if they didn't want the government to have some control over our roads and education.

Are you assuming that a private water company would sell you dirty water?

We already know that prior to the EPA (and even after in certain instances -- hence the Super Fund) corporations don;t care what they do to our groundwater and air... UNLESS government makes sure they fly right.

We also know airlines are required to inspect and repair their planes in accordance with government safety.

If you work in a place where you're not sucking in asbestos, it's because government controls that.

If you eat untainted food, it's because of the FDA...if your pharmaceuticals are safe, it's because of the FDA... if one owner doesn't control all media in your market, it's because government makes sure that there aren't monopolies on information.

if your milk is priced in accordance with market forces and not because of a deal made by a bunch of corporations to price gauge, it's because of federal anti-trust laws.

If you had a government backed student loan like i did.

If you went to a State University like I did, it got help from government.

If you had a disaster happen where you live, like we did here on 9.11, you benefitted from FEMA.

If you have ever driven from NY to California or Maine to Florida or any other configuration, you rode on goverment roads.

If you rode on mass transit, it came from government.

If you were educated in public schools, it came from government.

If you ever worked for a company that had a government contract, you benefitted from our govt.

If you ever worked for the goverment...well, that goes without saying.

If you ever had to sue someone in court, you benefitted from government.

If you have taken a plane at any time since 2001, you have benefitted from the TSA and DHS.

If you live someplace, like I do, where they thwarted a terrorist attack, then you benefitted from government.

And no, the taxes they take from me wouldn't have covered all of that.

Oh, what would we all do without Medcare/Medicaid, Social Security, food stamps, WIC, FEMA, gubmint schools, corporate subsidies, farm subsidies, workman's comp, NASA, FAA, FDA, DEA, BATF, NPR, PBS, and gubmint cheez?!?!? :rolleyes:

Just shoot me now!

Oh, what would we all do without Medcare/Medicaid, Social Security, food stamps, WIC, FEMA, gubmint schools, corporate subsidies, farm subsidies, workman's comp, NASA, FAA, FDA, DEA, BATF, NPR, PBS, and gubmint cheez?!?!? :rolleyes:

Just shoot me now!

You would be living in a car - till the owner showed up.

Just shoot me now!

You would be living in a car - till the owner showed up.
Does it hurt to be so dismally stupid as you?

Forum List

Back