What Good Is An Education If You Can't Find A Job?

Lets now take a look at the next top 10 paying careers in brief:

1. Pilots, co pilots and flight engineers

$99,400pa

2. Marketing managers

$78,410pa

3. Computer software and applications engineer

$76,310pa

4. Biomedical engineer

$70,520;

They are trained in biology as well as engineering and work to develop solutions to health problems.

5. Environmental engineer

$67,620

They work to fight damages to environment

6. Computer systems analyst

$67,520

Systems analysts ensure that organizations make the best of their technological resources

7. Database administrator

$61,950

Database administrators create and manage large quantities of financial, inventory and customer data.

8. Physical therapist

$61,560

9. Network systems and data communication analyst

$61,250

10. Chemist

$60,880

Gee, I don't see Renaisance French Poetry Analyst?:(

And this year, this old millwright will make more than all but the #1 on the list. There are many jobs out there that have no romance, but have very good pay.

$99,400pa

2. Marketing managers

$78,410pa

$76,310pa

4. Biomedical engineer

$70,520;

They are trained in biology as well as engineering and work to develop solutions to health problems.

$67,620

$67,520

Systems analysts ensure that organizations make the best of their technological resources

$61,950

Database administrators create and manage large quantities of financial, inventory and customer data.

8. Physical therapist

$61,560

$61,250

10. Chemist

$60,880

And this year, this old millwright will make more than all but the #1 on the list. There are many jobs out there that have no romance, but have very good pay.

There's the rub. To someone who makes $3 million a year they can afford to be romantic.

No I think its an individuals own stupidity for them living beyond their means. But if a creditor gives a new line of credit, loan, mortgage, etc to someone who is struggling or over extended its stupid... and if financial institutions extend this practice to millions of people the end result isnt positive (see the current state of the economy).

Oddly enough, there are people who want regulations that require institutions to lend to the people you just described.

$99,400pa

2. Marketing managers
$78,410pa

$76,310pa

4. Biomedical engineer
$70,520;

$67,620

$67,520

$61,950

8. Physical therapist
$61,560

$61,250

10. Chemist
$60,880

But compare it to the 10 Top College Majors:

Top 10 Majors:
Business - Business Administration and Management is the most popular selected major. Business also includes finance, marketing, and accounting, which has a high demand right out of college. This can get you good paying job right from the start, especially with a business degree from a top business school.

Social Sciences and History - This includes anthropology, economics, geography, sociology and political science.

Education - Elementary Education is the most popular, as many of these majors go on to be K-12 classroom teachers.

Psychology - There seems to be two types of Psych majors. Those who are really into psych and those who see psych as an easy major and therefore an easy way to graduation. Many psych majors don't technically go on to work in the psych field, but other related careers where the skills of such major can come in handy (ex: human resources, public relations, market research and sales).

Nursing - The nursing field is competitive, and some programs may have wait lists. However, you are pretty much guaranteed a job when majoring in nursing due to the severe shortage of nurses.

Communications - also includes journalism, communications is one of the fastest growing majors in College.

Biology - Biology majors do a lot of research and development and work in a laboratory or the field. Common employers of biology majors include: hospitals, national & state parks, universities, pharmaceutical companies, research firms, aquariums and zoos.

Engineering - A major that usually produces a high salaried job from the start. But, plan on taking very aggressive math and science courses with this major.

English - An English major can be involved in copywriting, editing and teaching, but not just limited to that. Also a good gateway degree to graduate school, or law school.

Computer Science - A highly technical field involving a lot of advanced math and computer courses. Though, many universities have seen sharp drops in their computer science majors.

Note the HUGE GULF between the popular degrees, which are traditionally filled with FEMALE students (Social Studies, Communications, Nursing, Education, Psychology) and the best paying carreers, which are traditionally MALE occupations (Engineering, Computer Science, Chemistry/Biology, Pilots).

Also note the descrpencies between popular majors, and better paying carreers: See how Computer Science and Engineering have WARNING LABLES: "sharp drops" and "aggressive math." In comparison, majoring in English is a "good gateway degree to graduate school, or law school."

Last edited:
I realize that people are going to try and lay this at the hands of Obama, but I think the problem is much deeper than that. My generation has been sold a bill of goods by well-meaning, but uninformed people who have given out really bad advice. You can major in a lot of things in college, however, a lot of it is not terribly employable. The things that are employable (not surprisingly) tend to be the harder and more competitive fields that require years of intense work.

"Do what you love"? Bullshit. I love going to Busch Stadium, drinking beer, and watching the Cardinals play baseball. No one is going to pay me to do that.

Do what you like and what challenges you and where you think you will be talented.

There is certainly a place for degrees that aren't readily employable and every society needs people of all stripes. However, people need to realize that one day they are going to have to pay the bills and they need honest counseling about their career path.

You may love art and love every minute of your "Art History" degree, but the professional field is small and it will be a tougher road to pay your mortgage.

My wife loves history and majored in it and got a Master's degree. Now she's a lawyer.

Well maybe if you know the right people you can take a couple of years to write a book then maybe become a college professor. That's really the only option to some academic pursuits.

I would have loved it if Obama had stayed a professor....but the guy's ego gave him the audacity to think he could be something great. So of course he wanted to run for office. Trying to relate being a professor, with their supercilious natures, to that of a public servant just doesn't work and unfortunately he never connects with most Americans. It's been a major effort on the part of the MSM to keep him from looking like a total asswad.

If your reputation is fake, if it's artificial, then of course the truth will eventually become known. After all this country isn't completely full of Homer Simpson types. Which explains why he focuses on our kids. You know...the ones that don't know who Joe Biden is or Nancy Pelosi....but they can spot a Jersey Shore cast member in a microsecond. They the need apathetic, people that never take anything serious to vote Democrap.

So you're suggesting that all those kids who don't have a clue about today's politics will all vote Democratic? You really don't think there are any potentially Republican kids who know how to do complex photoshopping but can barely put together a cohesive sentence? I guess the only thing that BOTHERS you is that in your little imaginary world, the clueless Generation Y and Z might be less apathetic to your own political preference. To hell with the fact that they will still be stupid.

$99,400pa

2. Marketing managers

$78,410pa

$76,310pa

4. Biomedical engineer

$70,520;

$67,620

$67,520

$61,950

8. Physical therapist

$61,560

$61,250

10. Chemist

$60,880

I noticed the absence of teachers on that list. Without them, the other 10 would never had made it to their respective professions in the first place. And THAT is the crux of today's education disaster.

I realize that people are going to try and lay this at the hands of Obama, but I think the problem is much deeper than that. My generation has been sold a bill of goods by well-meaning, but uninformed people who have given out really bad advice. You can major in a lot of things in college, however, a lot of it is not terribly employable. The things that are employable (not surprisingly) tend to be the harder and more competitive fields that require years of intense work.

"Do what you love"? Bullshit. I love going to Busch Stadium, drinking beer, and watching the Cardinals play baseball. No one is going to pay me to do that.

Do what you like and what challenges you and where you think you will be talented.

There is certainly a place for degrees that aren't readily employable and every society needs people of all stripes. However, people need to realize that one day they are going to have to pay the bills and they need honest counseling about their career path.

You may love art and love every minute of your "Art History" degree, but the professional field is small and it will be a tougher road to pay your mortgage.

My wife loves history and majored in it and got a Master's degree. Now she's a lawyer.

Well maybe if you know the right people you can take a couple of years to write a book then maybe become a college professor. That's really the only option to some academic pursuits.

I would have loved it if Obama had stayed a professor....but the guy's ego gave him the audacity to think he could be something great. So of course he wanted to run for office. Trying to relate being a professor, with their supercilious natures, to that of a public servant just doesn't work and unfortunately he never connects with most Americans. It's been a major effort on the part of the MSM to keep him from looking like a total asswad.

If your reputation is fake, if it's artificial, then of course the truth will eventually become known. After all this country isn't completely full of Homer Simpson types. Which explains why he focuses on our kids. You know...the ones that don't know who Joe Biden is or Nancy Pelosi....but they can spot a Jersey Shore cast member in a microsecond. They the need apathetic, people that never take anything serious to vote Democrap.

And I would have loved if Bush would have stayed a drunk son of privileged that never felt the need to live up to Daddy's accomplishment like 99% of the rest of the country club set in this country. Sadly, he was the most ambitious among the unambitious.

"The King makes war and the peasants die."

Obama shows us again how tone-deaf he is.

Everyone is clamoring for a political climate conducive to job growth but instead Obama focuses on education.

He's not about to change his policies so instead he's gonna talk about all the warm and fuzzy issues in an attempt to change the focus.

What good does an expensive education do you if you can't find a job?

I would think a good education would arm you with the knowledge to determine a demand, then start a business to meet that demand... then hire yourself.

~Mark

Yes, the President is pushing education. And that is a good thing. It leads to long term economic stability. If you wish to do a case study of the impact of high education for all students, look at Finland.

$99,400pa

2. Marketing managers

$78,410pa

$76,310pa

4. Biomedical engineer

$70,520;

$67,620

$67,520

$61,950

8. Physical therapist

$61,560

$61,250

10. Chemist

$60,880

Workplace: Pay for Professors - Inside Higher Ed

Everyone is clamoring for a political climate conducive to job growth but instead Obama focuses on education.

I think education is important when it comes to innovation and creating jobs. Really I've always been taught that the people who go to college should be creating jobs and the people that come out of high school should be doing them.

Of course that's a very simplistic view of the situation we face in this nation, but it is important that we understand how the job outlook is effected by various factors education included. I think if we can get our education system off it's feet the job outlook in general will be better.

Again we all want quick fixes, we have to understand though that the situation we are in as a nation economy-wise is the result of decades of poor practices, wreckless spending, and problems that effect the core of this nation's infrastructure. Jobs just aren't going to come magically, we have to change our ways in order to encourage growth.

Education is just one of those things we have to fix if we want a thriving economy with lots of jobs.

When most Republicans think of education, they are talking about becoming a lawyer or getting an MBA. All that science and engineering is just too hard.

Bible Studies is a "winner".

Of course, so many Republicans drop out anyway, it's really all just "academic". It's why the don't support education.

Well, Christine O'Donnell has several lies circulating about where she went to school. She even says she went to Oxford. I recall a tape of her saying she wouldn't lie about anything.

Forum List

Back