Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yu Di/Tian

• Roman/Greek Deities

• celtic Deities

• Total voters
BTW God and Allah are the same God. Jews Christians and Muslims all worship the same God. So you rrally didn;t need a seperate line for Allah . . . unless you are trying to differentiate sects of worship.

Allah is the Arabic name for God, yes. But the above mentioned do not worship the same God. The God of Christianity and the God of Islam are different. HUGE difference.

Is the God of Chrstianity and the God of Islam the same? | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

No, the God of Christianity and the God of Islam are not the same. First of all, the God of Christianity is a Trinity where the God of Islam is not. The Trinity is the monotheistic teaching that God exists eternally as three distinct persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. In Islam, this is blatantly denied.

"And behold! Allah will say: "O 'Isa Ibn Maryam! Did you say to men, "Worship me and my mother as gods besides Allah?" He will say: "Glory to you! Never could I say what I had no right to say. Had I said such a thing, you would indeed have known it. You know what is in my heart, though I know not what is in yours. For you know in full all that is hidden," (Quran 5:116).
"O People of the Scripture, do not commit excess in your religion or say about Allah except the truth. The Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, was but a messenger of Allah and His word which He directed to Mary and a soul [created at a command] from Him. So believe in Allah and His messengers. And do not say, "Three"; desist - it is better for you. Indeed, Allah is but one God. Exalted is He above having a son. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth. And sufficient is Allah as Disposer of affairs," (Quran 4:171).

Furthermore, in Christianity the doctrine of the Trinity allows for the incarnation of the Word. John 1:1, 14 says that the Word which was God was with God and became flesh and dwelt among us and was crucified (Matt. 26:2; 27:38). This is denied in Islam, which says that Jesus is only a prophet and was not crucified.

"[Jesus] said, "Indeed, I am the servant of Allah . He has given me the Scripture and made me a prophet," (Quran 19:30).

"And [for] their saying, "Indeed, we have killed the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, the messenger of Allah ." And they did not kill him, nor did they crucify him; but [another] was made to resemble him to them. And indeed, those who differ over it are in doubt about it. They have no knowledge of it except the following of assumption. And they did not kill him, for certain," (Quran 4:157).

So, the God of Islam and the God of Christianity are not the same.

The Christian God is a trinity to most, but not all. It isn't to the Jews, either. Do they worship a different God? This is the height of arrogance and why so many hate fundamentalists, that you'd actually tell people what God they're worshiping.

BTW, The Trinity is quite a pagan concept. I'd worry more about that than the oft-heard rants against Easter eggs and Christmas trees.

If God wants human followers, He will leave human with an infallible reference such that humans can follow, or else humans will be left clueless about who God is. If God wants this reference to last along with human history, He will assign an earthly authority as a keeper of this reference. Or else, everyone can come out to claim that he has the reference.

Christianity is such a religion that the Bible God left with an infallible Bible and an earthly keeper (from the Jews to the Catholics then the Protestants, they are keeping the same OT with Catholics and Protestants keeping the same NT).

Scarlett Johannsen.

scarlett-johansson-hairstyle-3.jpg

You forget the Oxymoron that is Atheism, its a religion against religion and Science in their God.

See flying spaghetti monster.

P.s. i see you poeing.

Actually

The flying spaghetti monster(Pastafarianism(msp?)) is a pseudo-religion and does not symbolizes atheism nor should be considered a true religion. It is a creation to mock the need to put the beliefs of every religion into public school.

Also, Atheism is not a religion. It is a theological classification on religion. An atheist is someone that does not accept god as defined by a particular religion or groups of religions. In the West, an atheist is usually someone that does not accept Abraham's(Judaic) definition of God. Prophets then become either teachers , fictional characters or celebrated figures from Judaic-inspired lore.

An example of an Atheistic religion is probably Buddhism. Buddha is not a god but an enlightened teacher that teaches others how to obtain enlightenment. Normally, a god "creates" something--According to Buddhism, Buddha "realizes" enlightenment not create it.

Or A god have power or dominion over reality or some aspect of reality--Buddha does not make claim such dominion.

Buddha is not a god unless one changes the definition of god(which is another reason why I don't believe in a god) but Buddhaism is atheistic

You forget the Oxymoron that is Atheism, its a religion against religion and Science in their God.

P.s. i see you poeing.

Actually

The flying spaghetti monster(Pastafarianism(msp?)) is a pseudo-religion and does not symbolizes atheism nor should be considered a true religion. It is a creation to mock the need to put the beliefs of every religion into public school.

Also, Atheism is not a religion. It is a theological classification on religion. An atheist is someone that does not accept god as defined by a particular religion or groups of religions. In the West, an atheist is usually someone that does not accept Abraham's(Judaic) definition of God. Prophets then become either teachers , fictional characters or celebrated figures from Judaic-inspired lore.

An example of an Atheistic religion is probably Buddhism. Buddha is not a god but an enlightened teacher that teaches others how to obtain enlightenment. Normally, a god "creates" something--According to Buddhism, Buddha "realizes" enlightenment not create it.

Or A god have power or dominion over reality or some aspect of reality--Buddha does not make claim such dominion.

Buddha is not a god unless one changes the definition of god(which is another reason why I don't believe in a god) but Buddhaism is atheistic

I don't think it is realistic to create these hard classifications since religion is not about definitiions but about people.

Take your example of Atheism. If someone were to state that there is no God, unless they can present hard evidence to that effect they are expressing belief. I have talked with people who are very dogmatic about it and proselytize that belief. If religion is about the actions of people (and what else could it be?) then whether the belief if positive or negative is irrelevant. If it is treated as a religion, it is a religion.

As to Buddhism, it is indeed a religion - though it can also be a philosophy. As an example, I lived in Thailand for a couple years. When you got into a taxi you would notice the driver would typically sit crunched up against his door. That was because Buddha was sitting on the seat beside him and he didn't want to crowd him. True story. In fact, after awhile I would refuse to stay in a cab unless the driver sat that way because the way they drove I wanted all the help I could get. To many - probably most - Buddhists, Buddha is not just a great teacher but a tangible force who can be encouraged to intercede on behalf of the believer. Which is a pretty good definition of a god.

P.s. i see you poeing.

Actually

I don't think it is realistic to create these hard classifications since religion is not about definitiions but about people.

Take your example of Atheism. If someone were to state that there is no God, unless they can present hard evidence to that effect they are expressing belief. I have talked with people who are very dogmatic about it and proselytize that belief. If religion is about the actions of people (and what else could it be?) then whether the belief if positive or negative is irrelevant. If it is treated as a religion, it is a religion.

As to Buddhism, it is indeed a religion - though it can also be a philosophy. As an example, I lived in Thailand for a couple years. When you got into a taxi you would notice the driver would typically sit crunched up against his door. That was because Buddha was sitting on the seat beside him and he didn't want to crowd him. True story. In fact, after awhile I would refuse to stay in a cab unless the driver sat that way because the way they drove I wanted all the help I could get. To many - probably most - Buddhists, Buddha is not just a great teacher but a tangible force who can be encouraged to intercede on behalf of the believer. Which is a pretty good definition of a god.

First--I did not create the classification. Those classifications existed before I was even born.

There is Theism--and there is Atheism--A theological classification that already existed. We could go further and divide theism into monotheism and polytheism(which Hinduism falls under) but that is beside the point.

2nd--I stated that atheism is based on a disbelief in god as defined by a particular or group of religions. This does not mean that atheism is without a religious/ethicalcode or belief system. It does, however, suggest whatever belief system they have is without a god as defined by others.

By the way, you can change the definition of god and an atheist might accept the new definition over the old one as statedan established religion. For instance, the Catholics have a tendency to claim that God is Love. I believe in Love--but I am still considered an atheist in the Christian sense because I do not accept the Abrahmaic definition of god.

3rd--I never said Buddhism is not a religion. In fact, I am claiming that Buddhism is an atheistic religion. Thus the reference to the classification of Theisim and Atheism. They are just two types of religions. One utilies the concept of a god, the other does not utilizes it. edit:Understand--this is god as classically defined in the west--in terms of the Abrahamic definition.
and finally--I am insinuating that religion is a philosophy on how to live this life. To me, suggesting that some practice Buddhism as a religion while others uses it as just a philosophy is actually saying the same thing. What is the difference? One uses it in a more traditional way while another uses it in practical everyday living?

Guess what--Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindis--etc do the same!

correction--When I said

Last edited:
Actually

First--I did not create the classification. Those classifications existed before I was even born.

There is Theism--and there is Atheism--A theological classification that already existed. We could go further and divide theism into monotheism and polytheism(which Hinduism falls under) but that is beside the point.

2nd--I stated that atheism is based on a disbelief in god as defined by a particular or group of religions. This does not mean that atheism is without a religious/ethicalcode or belief system. It does, however, suggest whatever belief system they have is without a god as defined by others.

By the way, you can change the definition of god and an atheist might accept the new definition over the old one as statedan established religion. For instance, the Catholics have a tendency to claim that God is Love. I believe in Love--but I am still considered an atheist in the Christian sense because I do not accept the Abrahmaic definition of god.

3rd--I never said Buddhism is not a religion. In fact, I am claiming that Buddhism is an atheistic religion. Thus the reference to the classification of Theisim and Atheism. They are just two types of religions. One utilies the concept of a god, the other does not utilizes it. edit:Understand--this is god as classically defined in the west--in terms of the Abrahamic definition.
and finally--I am insinuating that religion is a philosophy on how to live this life. To me, suggesting that some practice Buddhism as a religion while others uses it as just a philosophy is actually saying the same thing. What is the difference? One uses it in a more traditional way while another uses it in practical everyday living?

Guess what--Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindis--etc do the same!

correction--When I said

I understand what you are saying. I still disagree that Buddhism is an atheistic religion. It really isn't - though you could be a Buddhist and be an atheist. People pray to the Buddha, they ask for intercession and assistance. In fact, there are any number of gods a Buddhist might attempt to engage. It can fairly be said that Buddhism does not approach deities in the same manner as most western and middle eastern religions, but that is not the same as disbelieving in deities.

I think we are coming at this from different perspectives, which is ok. I recognize that you did not create the classifications. However, my point is that the classifications themselves are irrelevant. Definitions do not create reality, they only attempt to describe it. If the definitiion does not accurately describe reality, it is the definition which is at fault. So I don't go by definitions, I go by actions. If an atheist acts in the same manner as a theist, then they are doing the same thing - engaged in the same practice. Whether it is a result of belief or disbelief matters not at all.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying all atheists do this - or all theists.

I suppose it comes down to the difference between belief and religion. The former being personal, the latter social.

Since there are so many believers on this forum, I thought greater specificity was warranted.

Make as many choices as you'd like. There are many more, but I included a few majors.

Really, none of the ones included in the poll, but my own concept of what God is, which isn't a humanistic being, or one who cares about the affairs of men, but an energy or sorts, which motivates and animates.

Last edited:
I'll put this pretty simple.............................

God is too big to be contained by just one religion.

My personal opinion? If I look at all the different religions and see where they are similar, I might get a better understanding of who God is. The similarities between Judaic and Taoist schools of thought is pretty close, same with the teachings of Yeshua (Jesus) and Buddha, what they taught was pretty much the same.

I also like what His Holiness the Dali Llama said when he was asked how many religions there should be, and his answer was as many different religions as there are people, because the Divine talks to us in It's own special way. Your experiences are much different than the ones that I have had, so for me to tell you that God can only talk to you if you follow a strict set of dogmatical rules, or for you to tell me that, is wrong.

Besides...............a great philosopher once said "either God is Everything or He is Nothing".

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5wVZwdHmRY]Journey-Dont Stop Believing (official song) with lyrics - YouTube[/ame]

New Topics

Forum List

Back