What Global Warming?

Maybe it is a cyclical dynamic and they influence each other. I don't know, just a thought. I am sure that there are plenty of scientific studies on this issue being conducted as we type.

Actually, wouldn't higher temperatures stimulate plant growth (I am thinking of the equatorial regions here)? If so, wouldn't that tend to increase the amount of O2 in the atmosphere, all things being equal (plant growth being allowed to proceed without human interference)?

I don't know, I am not a scientist. Just some thoughts.

im not a scientist but i think increase in plant growth due to temp would have minimal effect. but, could it be that the increase in temp is causing co2 to be released at a greater level causing the corilation.
having said that the percentage of co2 given off by humans is like 0.0000001 percent or somthing.
The biggest release of co2 is by the oceans, Co2 disolves in water and over the whole surface area of the sea a gigantic amount of Co2 is being absorbed, when the temperature goes up the amount of Co2 absorbed decreases and in places is released. basically, you could say that the human influence is too small to be relivant.
Having said that I agree that we should ban cars, have eco friendly homes, recyling, ect... but not for the enviroment but because life would cleaner and better in a carless greener world, and we need to make the switch from oil A.S.A.P. and the enviromental movment gives weight to this.

Don't sulk. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Of course you can play on this thread if you want. Just be careful and watch out for sharp corners.

It is funny to see libs tell us what to do, but when you ask if they are going to the same - they get upset

im not a scientist but i think increase in plant growth due to temp would have minimal effect. but, could it be that the increase in temp is causing co2 to be released at a greater level causing the corilation.
having said that the percentage of co2 given off by humans is like 0.0000001 percent or somthing.
The biggest release of co2 is by the oceans, Co2 disolves in water and over the whole surface area of the sea a gigantic amount of Co2 is being absorbed, when the temperature goes up the amount of Co2 absorbed decreases and in places is released. basically, you could say that the human influence is too small to be relivant.
Having said that I agree that we should ban cars, have eco friendly homes, recyling, ect... but not for the enviroment but because life would cleaner and better in a carless greener world, and we need to make the switch from oil A.S.A.P. and the enviromental movment gives weight to this.

You sound like you know what you are talking about. Do you mind if I trouble you with some questions, as I don't know shit about science?

What would be the reason that the temperature rises in the first place?

What is the effect of other greenhouse gases such as methane and other hydroflourocarbons?

Is the temperature of the earth maintained by a delicate equilibrium of gases in the atmosphere, or is it a squishier sort of relationship? Is there room at the margins for increases of greenhouse gases or oxygen, or is like being poised at the top of a triangle, where any significant movement either way precipitates an ever accelerating degree of change?

You sound like you know what you are talking about. Do you mind if I trouble you with some questions, as I don't know shit about science?

What is the effect of other greenhouse gases such as methane and other hydroflourocarbons?

Is the temperature of the earth maintained by a delicate equilibrium of gases in the atmosphere, or is it a squishier sort of relationship? Is there room at the margins for increases of greenhouse gases or oxygen, or is like being poised at the top of a triangle, where any significant movement either way precipitates an ever accelerating degree of change?

It is called weaather patterns

Jodylee,

If I could trouble you with another question, is the percentage of greenhouse gases released into the atmosphere standard, or is it compound over time? For instance, if we were to say that prior to the Industrial Revolution the amount of greenouse gases in the atmosphere were X, and year 1 of the industrial revolution it was X + (.000000001 * X), then does that atmosphere naturally correct for some portion of (.000000001 * X), or does this become the new X for year 2?

Is it like compounding interest in your back account?

The reason for the increase in tempature is the increase in sunspot activity, which basically means more sun.

the biggest greenhouse gas is water vapour, the clouds. were talking 90% percent upwards.

At the moment the temperature of the earth is warming up. but only as it has done before.

The reason for the increase in tempature is the increase in sunspot activity, which basically means more sun.

the biggest greenhouse gas is water vapour, the clouds. were talking 90% percent upwards.

At the moment the temperature of the earth is warming up. but only as it has done before.

I thought "global warming" was caused by people driving their SUV's

Let me read up about this for a minute so that I can attempt to speak to you intelligently on the issue.

I think I understand what you are saying now. Is this accurate?

The temperature could be rising due to sunspot activity, which would increase the amount of water vapor/ CO2 released by the oceans, which are forms of greenhouse gases. Thus, this could suggest that greenhouses gases are increasing due to temperature increase, and not the converse.

I think I understand what you are saying now. Is this accurate?

The temperature could be rising due to sunspot activity, which would increase the amount of water vapor/ CO2 released by the oceans, which are forms of greenhouse gases. Thus, this could suggest that greenhouses gases are increasing due to temperature increase, and not the converse.

thats it, but is this accurate, I still need to find this out, and find it very difficult to find Data on this.

thats it, but is this accurate, I still need to find this out, and find it very difficult to find Data on this.

I mean appart from the programme The great global warming swindle. will be on you tube

I mean appart from the programme The great global warming swindle. will be on you tube

Wikipedia actually has quite a significant entry on this issue specifically, where it reviews the scientific literature on the issue. Of course, wikipedia can't be considered the most reliable source, but in this case it does cite scientific literature that can be double checked.

According to the entry, scientists have been trying to measure the amount of temperature variation attributable to solar activity, and at present, the most recent studies suggest solar variation had a greater impact in the first 50 years of the last century than it has in the last 50 years. To quote the last line of the entry - "Stott's 2003 work mentioned in the model section above largely revised his assessment, and found a significant solar contribution to recent warming, although still smaller (between 16 and 36%) than that of the greenhouse gases."

Refer to the entry for a far more detailed description of the debate and scientific analysis than I could possibly provide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_variation#Global_warming

Wikipedia actually has quite a significant entry on this issue specifically, where it reviews the scientific literature on the issue. Of course, wikipedia can't be considered the most reliable source, but in this case it does cite scientific literature that can be double checked.

According to the entry, scientists have been trying to measure the amount of temperature variation attributable to solar activity, and at present, the most recent studies suggest solar variation had a greater impact in the first 50 years of the last century than it has in the last 50 years. To quote the last line of the entry - "Stott's 2003 work mentioned in the model section above largely revised his assessment, and found a significant solar contribution to recent warming, although still smaller (between 16 and 36%) than that of the greenhouse gases."

Refer to the entry for a far more detailed description of the debate and scientific analysis than I could possibly provide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_variation#Global_warming

theres alot there, it seems to be an unresolved theroy with supporters and critics. I will read, cheers.

Forum List

Back