What firearm would you take if something goes "bump in the night"?

What kind of firearm would you use to check out a "bump in the night"?

• Rifle

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Shotgun

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Handgun

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters

Things go bump in the night EVERY night around here. I just let the pit bulls out and they sort it out in a few seconds. Last night the crack whore and her black pimp were hard cases. I actually had to call the cops at 4 AM..or was it 3 AM? I hadn't adjusted my clocks yet.

Depends on the jurisdiction; it isn't considered legal in some parts to just shoot someone in one's house, even with just rock salt.

Once, we thought we might be the object of retaliation by a cocaine ring (long story, but we were not directly involved in any illegal activity; it was my girl friend's daughter). I told the sheriff and he increased patrols. Nevertheless, the Ruger .357 slept loaded beside me for a few weeks and I would have definitely shot first and looked later at the remains.

LIGHT_Saber_by_Fraylen.jpg

What are you referring to?

Handguns, they have power at close range. Especially when using hollow points. You need them if you ever are in a dangerous situation. They are 1 hit.

If you hit in the right spot almost anything is one hit.

However, to stop someone coming at you, generally you will need multiple hits with a handgun.

I never said they weren't powerful. Shotguns and rifles are much more powerful.

The .223 bullet from a rifle travels at about 3000 fps.

A 9 mm from a handgun travels arond 1100 fps

A .45 is about 900 fps but is much bigger than a 9 mm.

In any case the massive amount of energy from the .223 makes one hell of a mess when it enters the body.

A shotgun buckshot or slug is much more powerful because it's a much heavier load.

A 12 gauge 00 has 9 pellets about .33 caliber each. That is extremely powerful.

There is a joke that I will paraphrase.

A woman sees a Texas ranger.

Woman- I see you are carrying a sidearm. Are you expecting trouble today?

Ranger- No ma'am if I expected trouble I would have brought my rifle.

I heard some odd rattling around in the basement one evening. Took pistol, dog followed.
It was strange that dog wasn't concerned. Sure enough there's Mrs. H. playing tricks. She laughed.
I chewed her out, pistol in hand. Not funny.

That was very stupid of her. :eusa_eh:

I heard some odd rattling around in the basement one evening. Took pistol, dog followed.
It was strange that dog wasn't concerned. Sure enough there's Mrs. H. playing tricks. She laughed.
I chewed her out, pistol in hand. Not funny.

That was very stupid of her. :eusa_eh:

I was pissed for days. It wasn't long after we first moved in and still getting used to city life etc. I had the sights trained in front of me, but when I noticed the dog wagging his tail I put it away.

I've got a .357 revolver. I got it loaded with alternating ammo. First round is bird shot, followed by a hollow point. This allows for several things. First, in the dark you can't see, so you need something that will give you a better chance to hit, great for the wife. The light from the flash allows you to see your opponent for the following hollow point. Handguns are easier to weild in close spaces.

You can add a light to the gun with a laser

What are you referring to?

Handguns, they have power at close range. Especially when using hollow points. You need them if you ever are in a dangerous situation. They are 1 hit.

If you hit in the right spot almost anything is one hit.

However, to stop someone coming at you, generally you will need multiple hits with a handgun.

I never said they weren't powerful. Shotguns and rifles are much more powerful.

The .223 bullet from a rifle travels at about 3000 fps.

A 9 mm from a handgun travels arond 1100 fps

A .45 is about 900 fps but is much bigger than a 9 mm.

In any case the massive amount of energy from the .223 makes one hell of a mess when it enters the body.

A shotgun buckshot or slug is much more powerful because it's a much heavier load.

A 12 gauge 00 has 9 pellets about .33 caliber each. That is extremely powerful.

There is a joke that I will paraphrase.

A woman sees a Texas ranger.

Woman- I see you are carrying a sidearm. Are you expecting trouble today?

Ranger- No ma'am if I expected trouble I would have brought my rifle.

I'm not a fan of shotguns though.

Too many people seem to be into them.

I am a fan of long range assualt rifles. M16,ak47 is a machine gun, but it's really good weopon. Where I come from. The Gaza Strip they have many variants. They are reliable over there.

But I like longer weopons, I can't handle the short carbines, they are too short for me.

When there is a bump in the night here, I don't pick up a gun. I go and investigate, unarmed, because I am not paranoid about a house invasion.

Well, good luck with that. I lay odds that the guy/gal who does "invade" your house will be armed. Do you at least have a bat, a stick, something?

Each type of firearm has it's pros and cons.

Shotgun

The most powerful firearm. However, it's relatively long and can be difficult getting around corners. Because of the length it is the most vulnerable to be taken away from you.

It's also the most versatile. It can shoot from slugs to birdshot.

Rifle

My rifle is an AR-15. It's long as well, but not as long a the shotgun. Also my shotguns are pumps which makes it harder to get a follow up shot.

My AR also has an EOtech site which makes it easier to hit the target than a shotgun.

The AR ammo capacity is much larger than the shotgun. The magazines have a capacity of 30 rounds.

Handgun

A handgun is the easiest type of all the firearms to maneuver since it's relatively small.

However, it's not nearly as powerful as a shotgun or rifle. This makes a difference if the home invader(s) have guns as well.

I haven't voted. I'ms still torn.

I like the shotgun for several reasons: it's easiest for an 'unskilled' householder to use. It's point and shoot and you don't need a lot of practice aiming to hit your target. Even if you have a near miss, you'll tag the perp. If you live in a fairly densely populated situation, shot does not have enough penetrating power in most instances to endanger the neighbors or the kids in the next room. A pump has the added advantage of providing a distinct aural warning of impending damage to the prospective perp, if you want to give them a chance to back off.

As much as I have wanted to skip this I can not resist. I guess I am the only other person with the rifle vote. BecauseIKnow probably the other. Reasoning: A handgun is terribly inaccurate. Even though last time I was at a range I put 40 for 40 through the silhouette with a 9 mm. The target was not moving, I was not moving, and it was well lit so I knew where dead center was. The only reason I would see for the shotgun is for the spread. I don't see that as much of an advantage given that the time it takes to pump is forever when one playing with life or death. What kind of rifle? Don't really know. 22 would probably be fine. Enough rounds to keep me happy for 30 seconds or so. Something that would go through a hollow core door or plate glass without slowing down too much or changing trajectory but nothing that will penetrate cinder blocks and kicks like a mule. The other thing is you could probably point the rifle down and put a couple rounds in the floor and only the insane would be within a mile in 5 seconds.

Then again SEAL Team Six on a zip line would work also.

Forum List

Back