What Famous Personalities Have You Met Or Gotten In Close Proximity To…?

bayoubill

aka Sheik Yerbouti...
Dec 30, 2008
Cajun Country
the ones that come to mind for me…

I and several of my fellow high school students had a personal audience with Mayor Richard Daley in his office, on a 1968 field trip to Chicago with a teacher who had taught his sons…

I met and spent time with Murray Rothbard, libertarian philosophical icon, during a 1980 Libertarian Party convention in Houston…

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip passed within 20 feet of me in their motorcade convertible as it slowly drove by where I was standing (Calgary, 1973)… next day, saw them along with Pierre and Margaret Trudeau about 50 yards away from where I was standing at the Calgary Stampede…

I was standing about 50 yards away from Richard Nixon when he made a whistle-stop at the train station in our town in 1960…

I was standing about 20 yards away from the motorcade of Charles De Gaulle when he was being driven past my neighborhood on a 1959 visit to New Orleans…

I was at the edge of the stage about 20-30 feet from Janis Joplin during her performance at a 1969 rock festival…

sometime in the mid-80's, I met Stevie Ray Vaughn backstage at a local roadhouse owned by a friend of mine...

I’ll mebbe think of others later…

Dolly Parton.
I guess it's because she lives in Tennessee and so do I.....plus she happens to have her own theme park, named Dollywood and I live very close to it~
She doesn't go to that amusement park often, but on rare occasions, when she is promoting something or when it's the Anniversary of the park, she has been known to make appearances.
I saw her once there, at Dollywood......she is indeed a beautiful lady, full of giggles.

Dolly Parton.
I guess it's because she lives in Tennessee and so do I.....plus she happens to have her own theme park, named Dollywood and I live very close to it~
She doesn't go to that amusement park often, but on rare occasions, when she is promoting something or when it's the Anniversary of the park, she has been known to make appearances.
I saw her once there, at Dollywood......she is indeed a beautiful lady, full of giggles.

she seems like a genuinely sweet person... I love her dimple...

her voice is pitched a bit too high for me to enjoy most times...

but I do like this...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_utP1mGoutQ]Dolly Parton - I will always love you - YouTube[/ame]

Caddied for Kevin McHale, Ray Scott, Carl Pohlad, Ernie Banks, and Padraig Harrington in the '93 Walker Cup.

Saw Patrick Roy at the Residence Inn in Highlands Ranch, CO, getting a cup of coffee on the fly...Just smiled, gave him a discreet thumbs up and he mouthed "thank you", probably just as much for not alerting the roomful of people munching on their breakfasts an the greeting.

I went to Grammar School with Mel Gibson

Grandpa, from The Munsters sat next to me in a Hollywood diner when I was a kid.

I caught a pass from jim Jensen of Miami Dolphin fame.

I got shit faced drunk with Jon Gruden when he was the Raider's coach right before joining the Tampa Bay Bucs.

I met and shook hands with Larry the Cable Guy, Tiger Woods, Jack Youngblood, Patrick Stewart, Bret Spiner, and Mila Jovovich.

Keith Richards and his band the Expensive Winos. Eric Clapton. Miles Davis. Dizzy Gillespie. Chet Baker. John Heard, Willam Hurt, John Goodman. Margot Kidder. Owned a club where the cast of Saturday Night Live used to come for their after after the show party when Mike Myers, Dana Carvey and Chris Farley were on the show. Steven Wright. Bill Murray. Joe Cocker. Arthur and Red Prysock. Elaine Newman. Richard Harris. Nick Nolte.

the ones that come to mind for me…

I and several of my fellow high school students had a personal audience with Mayor Richard Daley in his office, on a 1968 field trip to Chicago with a teacher who had taught his sons…

I met and spent time with Murray Rothbard, libertarian philosophical icon, during a 1980 Libertarian Party convention in Houston…

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip passed within 20 feet of me in their motorcade convertible as it slowly drove by where I was standing (Calgary, 1973)… next day, saw them along with Pierre and Margaret Trudeau about 50 yards away from where I was standing at the Calgary Stampede…

I was standing about 50 yards away from Richard Nixon when he made a whistle-stop at the train station in our town in 1960…

I was standing about 20 yards away from the motorcade of Charles De Gaulle when he was being driven past my neighborhood on a 1959 visit to New Orleans…

I was at the edge of the stage about 20-30 feet from Janis Joplin during her performance at a 1969 rock festival…

sometime in the mid-80's, I met Stevie Ray Vaughn backstage at a local roadhouse owned by a friend of mine...

I’ll mebbe think of others later…

I saw Lenny Kravitz play drums for open mike night once a couple years ago.
I saw the "Chief" from battlestar galactica at a restaurant in New Orleans
I've seen a couple of Saints players at strip clubs.

I met Richard J Daley when my brother's team won the Little League championship in Comiskey Park.

I met Larry Lujack when I won a prize from WCFL radio, and had to pick it up at the station.

I had a good conversation with Senator Paul Simon in O'Hare Airport while waiting for the wife to come back from a trip.

And I met Emo Phillips when his mother had a garage sale at his home in Downers Grove.

I've personally met then-presidential candidates Alan Keyes and Tom Tancredo.

I've been within six feet of Arnold Schwarzenegger, George W. Bush, and Jesse Jackson (he was in the passenger seat of a vehicle driving by ladies basketball player Rebecca Lobo, I was on the sidewalk corner).

I've shaken hands with the past and current mayors of San Jose (Ron Gonzalez and Chuck Reed respectively). The latter I sat next to at a Christmas party/dinner one time.

I've been at a dinner table with someone who was famous for a season, Donato Dalrymple, the person who was fishing with his cousin when they rescued Cuban refugee Elian Gonzalez. I dined at a Cuban restaurant in Fort Lauderdale with Donato and some of his friends about a year and a half after that whole incident.

There are other lesser knowns, so I'll just leave it at this.

Last edited:
I got dissed by Harry Chapin once in his home town.

Does that count?

Expound on the details, then we'll pass judgement. ;)

Hmmm... lots of folks.

Howard Baker (got an autographed photo of us on my office wall).
Jane Pauley (got an autographed photo of us on my office wall).
Henry "Scoop" Jackson - met him after he gave a speech
Red Skelton- just happened to meet him in a hotel lobby
Mayor Richard M. Daley of Chicago - stopped him on Michigan avenue for a quick chat.
Met Dan Marino onna plane. Talked a bit- got autograph

More later as this hangover subsides...

I was good friends with Johnny Carson's son when we were in the Navy. Sometimes on Fridays, we'd cut out early and head down to NY for the Tonight Show. Met Johnny, Doc, and Ed.

Played Little League baseball with Whitey Ford's son. Sometimes Whitey would show up at the game.

Was on a plane from Saginaw, Michigan to Laguardia one time with Hal Holbrook.

Saw Ron Howard and two kids outside a pizza joint in NYC. Didn't bother him, he looked too busy dealing with his kids and the pizza.

Went to a wedding recently where Matthew Broderick was one of the guests. Seemed like a nice enough guy although it was hard to tell if he was quiet and reserved or just didn't want to be bothered.

I played in a jazz ensemble in college and Buddy Guy was good friends with the director. Sometimes he'd show up and lead us through a few charts. A real ballbuster for sure.

Keith Richards and his band the Expensive Winos. Eric Clapton. Miles Davis. Dizzy Gillespie. Chet Baker. John Heard, Willam Hurt, John Goodman. Margot Kidder. Owned a club where the cast of Saturday Night Live used to come for their after after the show party when Mike Myers, Dana Carvey and Chris Farley were on the show. Steven Wright. Bill Murray. Joe Cocker. Arthur and Red Prysock. Elaine Newman. Richard Harris. Nick Nolte.

wow... you bumped into Chet Baker...?! I'm so jealous...

seriously... I'm a huge Chet Baker fan...

Does that count?

Hmmm... lots of folks.

Mayor Richard M. Daley of Chicago - stopped him on Michigan avenue for a quick chat.

Fair enough. It was summer. I was home from college. Chapin had played a little concert at my school earlier in the year. I was a fan. I knew he was from Long Island. My hometown. Anyway, I had a shitty fucking summer job making no money. Depressed one hot day, i drove over to a local ice cream shop in the main village. Harry was there, too. So, I approached him. I excused myself politely and advised him that I was a fan and had enjoyed his performance at my school. He looked like he had stepped in shit.

Evidently, one did not approach him on his personal time to talk about such mundane things. But but but, I didn't know! Anyway, he curtly nodded at me and left without responding with any words. Didn't I feel like a chump?

And then, suddenly, about 5 or 6 years later, he was dead.

My Pop waited in a hotel lobby for a ride to the airport with Fred Friendly. Jerry Ford shook the hand of the chick standing next to me in line in November 1976 in Columbus, Ohio.

Dave Edmunds used the urinal next to the one I was using at the Stanley Theater in Pittsburgh (I asked him if he was going to play "Get it" during his set).

coupla others I just remembered...

bumped into Chill Wills (or was it Andy Devine...? I always got those two guys mixed up) in the lobby of the Houston Hyatt Regency in the mid 70's...

bumped into John O'Hurley (J. Peterman from Seinfeld) in the gift shop of the Atlanta Aquarium a few years ago...

Does that count?

Hmmm... lots of folks.

Fair enough. It was summer. I was home from college. Chapin had played a little concert at my school earlier in the year. I was a fan. I knew he was from Long Island. My hometown. Anyway, I had a shitty fucking summer job making no money. Depressed one hot day, i drove over to a local ice cream shop in the main village. Harry was there, too. So, I approached him. I excused myself politely and advised him that I was a fan and had enjoyed his performance at my school. He looked like he had stepped in shit.

Evidently, one did not approach him on his personal time to talk about such mundane things. But but but, I didn't know! Anyway, he curtly nodded at me and left without responding with any words. Didn't I feel like a chump?

I wouldn't take it personally...

from the tone of his songs, I always got the impression he was a self-important jerk...

'course, weren't we all back then...?

Hmmm... lots of folks.

I wouldn't take it personally...

from the tone of his songs, I always got the impression he was a self-important jerk...

'course, weren't we all back then...?

I did take it personally for a little while. Then I shrugged it off. Then I kinda forgot about it.

Then, he lost his head.

Forum List

Back