CDZ What facts have we about the state of the U.S. economy today?

frothy, but it can go on like this a long long time, maybe even a new higher average, however, DO NOT buy right now. Market cap to GDP is too high.
Can go on until the next real downturn, at which point the Fed has ZERO wiggle room as the interest rate is already functionally at 0%

Then, grab your ass and your silver bars.

yes, I wonder what would happen if recession hit now? money printing galore and negative interest rates? I shudder to think about it, nowhere to hide

the long term trends are not very good, demographics, globalization, gov't liabilities, etc.

but there is always something to hold onto like tech breakthroughs that give even larger productivity advances

The debt ratio is scary I agree.

Who is against debt? The people who hold Ronald Reagan in high esteem? Can't be them.

The People who hold Obama in high esteem? Can't be them.

My gut tells me the economy is not terrible but it is time to import some productive new Americans and throttle back on the deficit spending to see if it can maintain. Seriously, anyone with a degree or willingness to work I'd welcome.

New Americans will create more demand for goods and maybe get us back to 3% inflation.

Some of this demand will be for our surplus of housing, and even our "old" 1960's era housing is attractive to immigrants.

So IMO new Americans will help fix our home value problem somewhat artificially pumping GDP by letting folks sell or rent their homes.

Reagan worked with Tip O'Neal...Clinton worked with Newt Gingrich...Bush worked with Nancy Pelosi...but for some reason Barry can't work with anyone from the other si

Here let me help you correct your misconceptions.

Tipp Oneil wanted to work with Reagan; Gingrich wanted to work with Clinton; Nancy wanted to work with Bush.

Now which ones of the republican leadership WANTED to work with Obama?

Reagan worked with Tip O'Neal...Clinton worked with Newt Gingrich...Bush worked with Nancy Pelosi...but for some reason Barry can't work with anyone from the other si

Tipp Oneil wanted to work with Reagan; Gingrich wanted to work with Clinton; Nancy wanted to work with Bush.

Quite simply, those other Presidents didn't have the "politics of 'no'" to contend with.
Political rancor is nothing new. Truculent political intransigence is not.

After the first year of the Obama Administration...NONE of them did! Obama basically told them to go pound sand because he had majorities in the House and Senate and he would be calling the shots. It was his "Elections have consequences...I won!" lecture when he sat down with the GOP leaders in 2009.

That all changed following the 2010 mid-terms however when the American people brought about the biggest shift of political power in modern US history...voting out Democrats and voting in Republicans. At that point Barack Obama issued his famous "I have a phone and a pen" speech where he declared that elections didn't have consequences because he was going to rule by Executive Order and bypass the Congress that was now led by the GOP!

Those are the things that made the Republican leadership LOATH Barack Obama! Reagan never pulled that shit with Tip O'Neil...Clinton never did with Gingrich...Bush never did with Pelosi! The partisan divide that exists today is something that Barack Obama engendered with his own actions.

Quite simply, those other Presidents didn't have the "politics of 'no'" to contend with.

Did you even read those, 320?

The following quote is from the first cite:
"• One Obama aide said he received a similar warning from a Republican Senate staffer he was seeing at the time. He remembered asking her one morning in bed, How do we get a stimulus deal? She replied, Baby, there’s no deal!

“This is how we get whole,” she said with a laugh. “We’re going to do to you what you did to us in 2006.”"

So remind me who was President again in 2006? The truth is Pelosi and the Democrats were the Party of No long before the GOP were and Harry Reid and the Democrats once more became the Party of No when the GOP took control of the House in 2010!

the democrats handed Reagan 8 consecutive shutdowns, Obama gets one. The democrats are the problem

Government shutdown in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tip O'neill? that's funny, mr. dead on arrival himself

define 'work with', usually to democrats it means getting their way

the democrats handed Reagan 8 consecutive shutdowns, Obama gets one. The democrats are the problem

During theReagan administration, there were funding gaps with technical shutdowns lasting less than 48 hours or over weekends while spending measures were negotiated rendering them to be of negligible effect.

You want to believe the shut downs Reagan experienced was the equivalent of the shut downs republicans gave Obama?

Well ok then. Whatever makes you feel good.

During Barack Obama's presidency, the United States federal government shutdown of 2013 ran from October 1 to 16, 2013. The primary issue of dispute between the Republican-controlled House of Representatives and the Democratic Senate was the Republicans' desire to delay or defund the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act(Obamacare), signed into law in 2010.[3] A bill to end the shutdown and fund federal agencies through January 15, 2014, passed the Senate and the House and was signed into law on October 17, 2013.[4] Standard & Poor's, the financial ratings agency, stated on October 16 that the shutdown "to date has taken $24 billion out of the economy," and "shaved at least 0.6 percent off annualized fourth-quarter 2013 GDP growth."[5]

Yea I can almost see the equivalency. LMAO.

During theReagan administration, there were funding gaps with technical shutdowns lasting less than 48 hours or over weekends while spending measures were negotiated rendering them to be of negligible effect.

You want to believe the shut downs Reagan experienced was the equivalent of the shut downs republicans gave Obama?

During Barack Obama's presidency, the United States federal government shutdown of 2013 ran from October 1 to 16, 2013. The primary issue of dispute between the Republican-controlled House of Representatives and the Democratic Senate was the Republicans' desire to delay or defund the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act(Obamacare), signed into law in 2010.[3] A bill to end the shutdown and fund federal agencies through January 15, 2014, passed the Senate and the House and was signed into law on October 17, 2013.[4] Standard & Poor's, the financial ratings agency, stated on October 16 that the shutdown "to date has taken $24 billion out of the economy," and "shaved at least 0.6 percent off annualized fourth-quarter 2013 GDP growth."[5]

Imagine the NERVE of those GOP legislators! After the voters had spoken...replacing the largest number of Democrats with Republicans in modern political history...those no good GOP legislators had the NERVE to do what their constituents sent them to Washington to do...stop the ACA! OMG...the HORROR!!! (eye roll)

You know what's REALLY amusing, Wilbur? That you're outraged! If Barack Obama hadn't lied to the people back then we wouldn't have the massive cost increases to ObamaCare that we're now getting.

After the voters had spoken...replacing the largest number of Democrats with Republicans in modern political history..

I know, ain't gerrymandered districts a wonderful thing?

But really,.introducing the cause of the shutdowns when the topic was frequency and equivalency of the shutdowns was off topic.

Republicans knew their shutdown of Obama care was futile from the get go.
During Reagan's time, his congress shut down cause they couldn't figure out where to spend all that money and they needed more time to find beneficiaries of their largesse.

Barack Obama hadn't lied to the people back then we wouldn't have the massive cost increases to ObamaCare that we're now getting.

Politicians lying? Are you sure? Anyway, you get your insurance on the Obama care exchanges? Not me. I like the changes that occurred from obama care that effects me and mine.

Sorry it didn't work out well for you. Maybe you will find an employer offering health care soon.

Reagan experienced much more opposition that Obama has as he never had his party in control of congress like Obama did early on, the length of time of a shutdown does not diminish anything at all, if anything it shows Obama is less willing to compromise

Barack Obama hadn't lied to the people back then we wouldn't have the massive cost increases to ObamaCare that we're now getting.

Politicians lying? Are you sure? Anyway, you get your insurance on the Obama care exchanges? Not me. I like the changes that occurred from obama care that effects me and mine.

Sorry it didn't work out well for you. Maybe you will find an employer offering health care soon.

ah so all good for you means all is well for everyone else, nice

This is anything but a normal recovery, it is long and very sluggish. Stimulus and QE have failed to achieve the desired results.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/75923584-6acd-11e6-ae5b-a7cc5dd5a28c.html#

Negative interest rates are spreading like a virus. Central banks in the Eurozone, Switzerland, Sweden, and Japan all have below-zero policy rates. “NIRP,” as economists call a negative interest rate policy, is a desperation move—but the only move those central banks have.

The Federal Reserve hasn’t followed—yet. When the next recession strikes, I believe Janet Yellen will choose to break the zero lower bound. The rationale was laid out in Jackson Hole. Look behind the headlines and you’ll see the Fed already preparing for NIRP.

The Fed may be preparing for the unthinkable — negative interest rates in America

ah so all good for you means all is well for everyone else, nice

LMAO. Tell you what dude. I am and have been responsible for me and mine for a long time. I make and have made good decisions and when things haven't gone as hoped or planned, then I suck it up and make changes to make it better.

The fact you and others didn't do the above and your life hasnt gone the way you wanted, that's on you dude. Not Obama.

And if your life is going fine, why the fuck are you bitching?
Is it your job to worry about everyone eh? Fuck that. I ain't worried about you.

The name of the game is make the right decisions. Not blame someone else for your lack of success.

the democrats handed Reagan 8 consecutive shutdowns

WTH is a "consecutive shutdown?" Can you come up with a more incoherent way to describe much of anything? You know, thinking about it more, I suspect you can....

WTF? the meaning is clear to anyone with rudimentary thinking skills

The "WTF" is that time is continuous; shutdowns are discrete events/processes. A "consecutive shutdown" is an incoherent way of expressing whatever the heck it is you are/were trying to communicate. It is because a shutdown is a discrete event that has a clear start and end, and when it ends, what necessarily follows it is a resumption. When a resumption does not follow a shutdown, the shutdown is permanent.

In contrast, "100 consecutive days ("day" is a measure of time) of rain" actually means something. Why? Because what follows "100 consecutive days of rain" is another DAY, one without rain or perhaps one with rain. Because time's passage is a continuous process.

We have never since 1787 had a government shutdown that was not followed by a resumption of government activity. Because that's never happened, and because shutdowns are discrete events, I asked you to clarify what you meant by "consecutive shutdown."
FWIW, seeing as you don't yet understand the difference between continuous and discrete processes, data, and events, there's really no point in you and I continuing any discussions. That is a concept I assume everyone over 12 understands. Your profile indicates you are 51, so now I know there's just no point our trying to have a conversation; doing so is a waste of both our time, and yours is far better spent here. May I suggest you begin with this lesson.

P.S.
That's what I had to explain to you, yet you actually have the gall to call people "idiot" and "moron."....

Last edited:

Forum List

Back