What dogs know

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
I am fascinated by consciousness and often when I visit friends with a beagle I talk to her. She knows me well enough to know I am a liberal for as soon a food comes she sits and stares up at me and sometimes talks.

"In one enormously important variation from wolf behavior, dogs will look into our eyes. “Though they have inherited some aversion to staring too long at eyes, dogs seem to be predisposed to inspect our faces for information, for reassurance, for guidance.” They are staring, soulfully, into our umwelts. It seems only right that we try a little harder to reciprocate, and Horowitz’s book is a good step in that direction. But she can be a bit coy and overly stylish in her attempt not to sound too scientific, and to the particular choir to which she is preaching, much of her material will be familiar."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/13/books/review/Schine-t.html

"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face." Bernard Williams

I am fascinated by consciousness and often when I visit friends with a beagle I talk to her. She knows me well enough to know I am a liberal for as soon a food comes she sits and stares up at me and sometimes talks.

"In one enormously important variation from wolf behavior, dogs will look into our eyes. “Though they have inherited some aversion to staring too long at eyes, dogs seem to be predisposed to inspect our faces for information, for reassurance, for guidance.” They are staring, soulfully, into our umwelts. It seems only right that we try a little harder to reciprocate, and Horowitz’s book is a good step in that direction. But she can be a bit coy and overly stylish in her attempt not to sound too scientific, and to the particular choir to which she is preaching, much of her material will be familiar."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/13/books/review/Schine-t.html

"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face." Bernard Williams

I was excited to see this thread because a) I LOVE dogs and b) it would be someplace where we could talk about something other than politics because dogs aren't political and don't have a clue, nor do they care, what political party you belong to (as if!). You ruined that.

Last edited:

Since she knows you're a liberal, does she give you a handout everytime you visit her?

I wonder if they know this:

If we (us humans) all disappeared tommorrow, the dogs would be in charge.

Since she knows you're a liberal, does she give you a handout everytime you visit her?

Maybe just a paw out they don't actually have hands.

You guys are no fun, did you want me to say I am the 'generous one who feeds her?' What fun would that have been? Or I could have said, 'get a job you lazy dog!' Or 'don't you agree that a free market will provide you with all you need, just believe?' Probably I would have got those same big brown (?) eyes looking at me beseechingly! Egads do you think maybe she's a ...... LOL

Interesting article, but funny too, when I talk to my infant grandson, he replies in meaningless jabber and as you talk he becomes part of a conversation that while it makes no verbal sense is fascinating.

My dog growls and barks at the mention of this politican's name:

george_mcgovern.jpg

I'm not kidding, either. It's nothing I actively taught him, either. Friends and I were discussing once and we noticed that he did not like the sound of this guy's name. It certainly is something we endorsed, though. He's a good GOP (Goldwater GOP, that is) dog.

Forum List

Back